Travel Agent vs. Travel Insurance Broker?

I’m wondering if there’s an advantage to purchasing insurance from our Travel Agent, who is with a Luxury Travel Agency, vs. using a trip insurance broker? I have quotes from both, and researched the broker (who has numerous positive reviews across multiple websites), and no surprise the broker’s quote is a few hundred dollars less, with better coverage and better terms.

Just now, napria said:

I’m wondering if there’s an advantage to purchasing insurance from our Travel Agent, who is with a Luxury Travel Agency, vs. using a trip insurance broker? I have quotes from both, and researched the broker (who has numerous positive reviews across multiple websites), and no surprise the broker’s quote is a few hundred dollars less, with better coverage and better terms.

To me the few hundred less is a no brainer especially if coverage is better and better terms.

Just ensure that with any insurance for medical, cancellation, or interruption, that you understand the terms for pre-existing conditions, what constitutes a stability period, etc.

I also never buy from anyone until I have a full policy in front of me that I have read letter for letter, word for word, and probably asked 20 questions from that.

I would go with the broker.

Actually - a broker can have great reviews - but who is the insurance company that they are selling you?

My opinion and personal experience only.

My TA sells insurance. And makes a small commission. But, after 10 to 15 years following this particular board, I can guarantee that I know more about the intricacies of travel insurance than my TA does (not to say I know it all. I still get confused a few times.). If questioned about is this covered? is that covered? the response would be to call the insurance company. If asked do I file a claim under trip delay or trip interruption? They wouldn't know. What they do know is that having travel insurance is important.

The next question is probably why I use the TA then. Because they are friends and treat us like family. GREAT on the travel/pricing/OBC/follow-up departments. Just weak on the travel insurance department.

So, my opinion is the broker who can guide you to the coverage that is most important to you and your needs. A good broker will also be just a phone call away to assist if needed when filing a claim.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The broker is recommending Travel Insured “FlexiPAX”. I’ve never heard of them, but I downloaded a 57 page pdf.  The broker was recommended on CruiseCritic, and I’ve seen great reviews on multiple sites (including Trip Advisor, Yelp and Better Business Bureau)

Edited by napria
Correcting autocorrect

6 minutes ago, napria said:

The broker is recommending Travel Insured “FlexiPAX”. I’ve never heard of them, but I downloaded a 57 page pdf.  The broker was recommended on CruiseCritic, and I’ve seen great reviews on multiple sites (including Trip Advisor, Yelp and Better Business Bureau)

Was the broker TripInsuranceStore?

We are among those who buy policies from them.

And... we've had claims, including some large ones.  ALL got paid promptly.

We also used Travel Insured (the actual insurance company), but our plan had a different name, so probably different terms (that have worked very well for us).

Note:  You can mention names of insurers or insurance brokers here.

It's just "travel agents" whose names are not allowed here on CC.

GC

• Like 1

GeezerCouple, thanks for clearing that up.  I wasn’t sure if I could say who the broker is, but it is indeed TripInsuranceStore.

Thanks also for letting me know that you’ve successfully used them.  I think we’ll go with them.  That’s one thing off my mind after a very chaotic day.