Cunard offered upgrade to QG from Princess Grills

Judyrem

I just received an offer to upgrade from my PG cabin 10072 to a Queens Grill Q4 or Q5 for 650$ per person for a ten day TA in late July.

I accepted the offer but they have not confirmed if was approved and I am having second thoughts on this.

I saw the most QG are on deck 9 with the lifeboats right beneath them.

My Princess Grill cabin is on deck 10.

What would you do?  I prefer the least amount of barriers to a wonderful ocean view.

Should I call them?  I booked through Cunard.

I am a Cunard newbie,

On QM2, we're always on Deck 9.

Nothing wrong with it. Lifeboats are well below you and do not obstruct any views.

If they've offered you a Q4, bite their hand off! 

• Like 2

There is a website called Cruisedeckplans dot com (not sure if allowed to actually link - apologies if I've inadvertently broken rules here), which links to loads of photos or Youtube videos of certain rooms on each deck, so you can get a fair idea from there. From what I can see, while the lifeboat views below are significant, it will unlikely be significantly different to deck 10. 

• Like 1

Although Princess Grill suites on QM2 are arguably the best in the fleet, Queens Grill offers much more to enjoy. 

The lifeboats are not much of a view problem.

Moreover, this paid upgrade offers good value for money.

And since you are Cunard newbie, this is a chance to taste Cunard at its best.

• Like 2

You can always withdraw your Plusgrade offer if you do have second thoughts.

The issue of a view isn't really material to your decision, deck 9 is well clear and you'll be looking more up than down. For Crossings, and I done many of them, I find the view is pretty similar most days! And often a bit windy to be out on the balcony mid Atlantic for too long. 

To put this rather delicately, the problem you may have is once you've been "up" to the best of Cunard, then going "down" may be problematic. I've just about managed it, as a solo traveller, but I'm always thinking "yes, it would be nice, but for that money I could do another Cunard sailing".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

The issue of a view isn't really material to your decision, deck 9 is well clear and you'll be looking more up than down. For Crossings, and I done many of them, I find the view is pretty similar most days! And often a bit windy to be out on the balcony mid Atlantic for too long. 

To put this rather delicately, the problem you may have is once you've been "up" to the best of Cunard, then going "down" may be problematic. I've just about managed it, as a solo traveller, but I'm always thinking "yes, it would be nice, but for that money I could do another Cunard sailing".

This is a good point. When we first went on Cunard in 1997, we changed up to travel in a QG cabin on the grounds it was the holiday of a lifetime, etc, etc. That decision must have cost us thousands and thousands. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

On QM2, we're always on Deck 9.

Nothing wrong with it. Lifeboats are well below you and do not obstruct any views.

If they've offered you a Q4, bite their hand off! 

I though it was a Q4 but I checked and it was a Q5 and Q6.

59 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I hear you Pushpit.  You make an excellent point, it's hard to go back to economy on a plane, ship or hotel once you have  experienced them😉

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

I just received an offer to upgrade from my PG cabin 10072 to a Queens Grill Q4 or Q5 for 650$ per person for a ten day TA in late July.

I accepted the offer but they have not confirmed if was approved and I am having second thoughts on this.

What would you do?  I prefer the least amount of barriers to a wonderful ocean view.

I am a Cunard newbie,

I too called about getting emails I am receiving to upgrade and I called and was told a third party administrators the program and Cunard has no more info to add. I’m offered a Penthouse Q3/4 on QE for about the same price as you are seeing (from recently upgraded Q6!) and I’m going to pass. 

Question @Judyrem - did you book direct with Cunard or with a travel agent? I wonder if TA bookings get these upgrade communications. I’m not a newbie (nor a veteran like many here) but this is the first time I booked directly. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NE John said:

I too called about getting emails I am receiving to upgrade and I called and was told a third party administrators the program and Cunard has no more info to add. I’m offered a Penthouse Q3/4 on QE for about the same price as you are seeing (from recently upgraded Q6!) and I’m going to pass. 

Question @Judyrem - did you book direct with Cunard or with a travel agent? I wonder if TA bookings get these upgrade communications. I’m not a newbie (nor a veteran like many here) but this is the first time I booked directly. 

Yes, I booked directly through them.  I thought it was the right thing to do.

In some cases booking direct is helpful others not so much.🤔

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NE John said:

Maybe because we have been sailing with Cunard since early 1980's and in Diamond Cat., we don't get emails from Cunard for Upgrades or bidding.

We have always received comp upgrades to the next level. Never got phone calls from Cunard.

We get comp's to PG and once on the QE2 we went to QG even at the Pier Desk.

We just book what we would like, anticipate arriving at that cabin we booked and look forward to enjoy. If the Comp Upgrade Fairy visits, we appreciate the offer and enjoy. We've got about 6 comp offers in the 12 years.

So we just book, wait and arrive as we expect. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, NE John said:

I wonder if TA bookings get these upgrade communications. I’m not a newbie (nor a veteran like many here) but this is the first time I booked directly. 

Originally Plusgrade was only contacting those who had booked direct, at around 80 days to departure, but more recently Plusgrade is available to those who booked via travel agents. However I see that the FAQ on Cunard's website notes that some fares are not eligible for Plusgrade. I would speculate that this would be where TAs have constructed a package where the Cunard component is part of specific modular unit, combined with other components. These are the very cheapest Cunard fares and have very strict conditions around them to prevent the fare from being cannibalised. 

You should receive an email direct from Cunard with a link to Plusgrade's site, but you can check it yourself in case you deleted the email or it went to spam.

https://upg.plusgrade.com/marketing/partner/AzXwWJzSCUN

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm on the June 15th crossing and received a similar upgrade offer. One of the reasons we chose the PG was because of the separate walk-in shower (as opposed to the large shower/tub combo). I considered the upgrade but after my TA confirmed that the QG suites available with the upgrade do not have showers, we're sticking with our PG. This is our first Cunard sailing. 

• Like 1

I didn't realize PG had separate showers.   I thought there was just a tub and shower combo.

I am still keeping the bid because this is a special year for me and I might as well splurge.

I am still not fond of the lifeboats being so easily seen,  however but I can make do.😉

Ahhh first world problems!🤪

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I didn't realize PG had separate showers.   I thought there was just a tub and shower combo.

Just for the record, I have never seen a PG suite with separate bath and shower in QM2. Only tub/shower combo. Please correct me, if wrong.

As far as I know, only QG suites on Victoria and Elizabeth have separate bath and shower (and on Anne, I think).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

I am still keeping the bid because this is a special year for me and I might as well splurge.

I am still not fond of the lifeboats being so easily seen,  however but I can make do.😉

(Ahhh first world problems!

Judyrem,

We were in 2022 September in a QM2 PG (10021) and we only had a Tub/Shower combo.

There were no separate Tub & Shower or Separate Shower in that Suite.

You may want review Youtube reviews of PG and see those bathrooms videoed and how they look.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpcello said:

I'm on the June 15th crossing and received a similar upgrade offer. One of the reasons we chose the PG was because of the separate walk-in shower (as opposed to the large shower/tub combo). I considered the upgrade but after my TA confirmed that the QG suites available with the upgrade do not have showers, we're sticking with our PG. This is our first Cunard sailing. 

You’ll still love the PG bathroom and overall layout of the suite and large balcony. I do like being on 10 Deck over 9 because you don’t see the top of the lifeboats as much, even though most say that’s not a big deal. 
Our PG view from last summer:

IMG_3326.jpeg

IMG_3386.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NE John said:

You’ll still love the PG bathroom and overall layout of the suite and large balcony. I do like being on 10 Deck over 9 because you don’t see the top of the lifeboats as much, even though most say that’s not a big deal. 
Our PG view from last summer:

IMG_3326.jpeg

IMG_3386.jpeg

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the balcony pictures. Hope the weather is nice enough at the end of June to be able to enjoy the balcony. We've (me and my sister) never been farther than 2 days from land so this crossing should be interesting. 

• Like 2

Just now, jpcello said:

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the balcony pictures. Hope the weather is nice enough at the end of June to be able to enjoy the balcony. We've (me and my sister) never been farther than 2 days from land so this crossing should be interesting. 

The week’s crossing will fly by quicker than you think. PG dining is special too. If you like wine, ask your sommelier on the first day if there are wine tastings. There’s an extra charge but highly worth it. 
The weather conditions will be all over the place so enjoy being outside when you can. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NE John said:

The week’s crossing will fly by quicker than you think. PG dining is special too. If you like wine, ask your sommelier on the first day if there are wine tastings. There’s an extra charge but highly worth it. 
The weather conditions will be all over the place so enjoy being outside when you can. 

We are wine lovers and I've already made reservations for the one wine tasting they have, but we'll definitely check for others. Tastings are one of our favorite cruise activities. This crossing is also a theatre theme so we'll have lots to do. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I am a Cunard newbie,

This is the view from QG on QM2 . PG would be a bit better, but it was fine 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

This is the view from QG on QM2 . PG would be a bit better, but it was fine 

image.png

I think I like my PG 10072 view better.  I just can't seem to commit!🤪

It will be late July and hoping for a mild crossing. 

I don't know if that view  is worth the 1200$ extra.

First world problems once again🤔

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I think I like my PG 10072 view better.  I just can't seem to commit!🤪

It will be late July and hoping for a mild crossing. 

I don't know if that view  is worth the 1200$ extra.

First world problems once again🤔

The view higher is better yes. 

QG is 33% bigger so the balcony is 33% wider. $1200 is a fair bit less than the usual differential - probably about half. 

QG suite nicer obviously, but PG is really good…

• Like 1