New Caledonia locked down.

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

With rioting in Noumea, New Caledonia is locked ďown, airport and ports.

I hope this doesn't last too long and affect any cruises.

Pac Encounter is heading out towards Mystery Island at present, so should be OK for a few days. They are due to call at Lifou on the way back, so I guess that depends on whether they are New Caledonia or Loyalty Islands that week.

Pac Adventure is also heading for Mystery Island & Vila and is scheduled to call in Lifou & Noumea on the way back on 20th May.

Splendor departs to the Islands on Sunday. Noumea is the first scheduled stop on 22nd May, and they also have Lifou and a 2nd call to Noumea on the way back.

I think at this stage it would likely only be Noumea affected on the itineraries, and it may all be over post election.

So possibly the Pacific Adventure and Splendour being affected.

49 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, a bit of history repeating.

Or as P&O used to say when they were giving reasons for cancelling ports in the South Pacific - The natives are restless.

Did you ever get to Ouvea? P&O cancelled calls there due to "restless natives" around 15 years ago but haven't been back since.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Did you ever get to Ouvea? P&O cancelled calls there due to "restless natives" around 15 years ago but haven't been back since.

Ouvea has been the core of support for Kanak separatism, as well as the other Loyalty Islands such as Lifou.

It's doubtful the unrest would be limited to Noumea. 🙁

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Ouvea has been the core of support for Kanak separatism, as well as the other Loyalty Islands such as Lifou.

It's doubtful the unrest would be limited to Noumea. 🙁

The Loyalty Islands have been seeking their own independence from New Caledonia, and I agree, will be in the middle of any unrest. Lifou is mentioned specifically in this report, although with more peaceful protests at this stage.

Attempted prison mutiny, demonstrations ahead of New Caledonia constitution vote | RNZ News

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oshungoer said:

A friend has booked a land tour of Noumea starting in a week. That's a 50/50 at this stage with the airport locked down, etc.

I hope it settles down in time

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jim_P said:

Im off to Noumea on the 11th of next month, so the same week as the election. Should be interesting.. 

I don't think you will be docking at this point.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is a mess, not sure I fully understand what the Kanaks actually want.

Independence. Against pending rule change giving foreign people who have lived in New Caledonia over 10 years a vote.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is a mess, not sure I fully understand what the Kanaks actually want.

The Kanaks want to limit the number of new foreign voting (read French nationals). That colonial constitution change is designed to keep their indigenous population in the minority. Until they get a majority, they can never gain independence by peaceful means.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Independence. Against pending rule change giving foreign people who have lived in New Caledonia over 10 years a vote.

I know that they are protesting about the rule change but it isn't independence as they keep voting that down.

It was a 97% no last referendum.

57 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The Kanaks want to limit the number of new foreign voting (read French nationals). That colonial constitution change is designed to keep their indigenous population in the minority. Until they get a majority, they can never gain independence by peaceful means.

So why do they keep voting against independence in the referendums.

Posted (edited)

I sort of wonder if independence is what New Caledonians really want. New Caledonia remains significantly more prosperous than its near neighbour, Vanuatu.  Vanuatu got independence back in 1980 and has been decimated by political corruption ever since that has relegated it to a mendicant pauper state.

Edited by reeves35
grammar

1 minute ago, reeves35 said:

I sort of wonder if independence is what New Caledonians really want. New Caledonia remains significantly more prosperous than its near neighbour, Vanuatu.  Vanuatu got independence back in 1980 has been decimated by political corruption ever since that has relegated it to a mendicant pauper state.

I am no expert, but these are my thoughts exactly, and perhaps part of the reason that previous votes for independence have voted NO. The difference is stark between New Caledonia & Vanuatu in terms of govt services etc.

Enquiries a few years ago about taking donations for schools in the region led to advice to donate to Vanuatu & Fiji, rather than NC, as we were told that schools in NC were well funded and they don't need donations.

I hope for all of the people there, it can all be sorted soon. We love to visit Noumea on our cruises, and enjoy our visits to some of the outer areas of NC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't think you will be docking at this point.

Noumea is certainly no loss imo, I had been planning on just staying onboard and enjoying a less crowded ship. I just hope they don't change the itinerary to QLD or Tasmania. 

17 minutes ago, reeves35 said:

I sort of wonder if independence is what New Caledonians really want. New Caledonia remains significantly more prosperous than its near neighbour, Vanuatu.  Vanuatu got independence back in 1980 and has been decimated by political corruption ever since that has relegated it to a mendicant pauper state.

Well they don't want it as the last 3 referendums on independence have failed and the last being 97% no.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim_P said:

Noumea is certainly no loss imo, I had been planning on just staying onboard and enjoying a less crowded ship. I just hope they don't change the itinerary to QLD or Tasmania. 

I can guarantee it won't be Tasmania this time of year.  Depending on the remainder of your itinerary, I'd guess another sea day is most likely.