New Caledonia locked down.

23 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@arxcards do you know why most  cruiselines  no longer visit Champagne Bay?  I am sure there have been discussions on cc in the past but I’ve obviously missed them.

Such a beautiful place.

My guess would be due to the tender wharf being very small, and the increased size of ships, making it a logistical nightmare.  From memory, the wharf there was only big enough to have 1 tender tied up at any given time.  That slows down the tendering operations to the point where it's no longer feasible for larger ships to visit.

I went there on Rhapsody of the Seas, which had around 2,500 passengers when full.  That was probably about the maximum capacity for the Champagne Bay wharf.  The likes of the Voyager class ships, and Pacific Adventure, are just far too large.

It's a real pity though, because Champagne Bay was one of my 2 favourite ports - alongside Isle of Pines.  Snorkelling off the beach, with distinct cold/fresh and warm/salty water layers, was a rare experience.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Metallis said:

Leaving on a P&O cruise on Sunday. Have just found out our scheduled day at Noumea has been changed to a day at sea.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, shame that your itinerary has changed but you wouldn't want to be there during rioting.

• Like 2

So why can't P&O & Carnival do like what they did with Covid.

State a date like June 30, no ships will be going to Noumea or Lifou. Just alternate ports like Santo, Port Vila, Mystery. 

If the issues lift, start at that date, if there's still conflict push it back. It might happen a few times but. Would be the easiest.

Plus cruises can plan there adventures before hand, not just 2 days out..

On 5/19/2024 at 9:55 PM, arxcards said:

Carnival Splendor has departed for the Islands this evening. They have altered their ports for the current cruise to Santo (Champagne Bay would be nice but likely to be Luganville) and Port Vila.

In downtown Luganville today. Champagne Bay was just a pipe dream.

download(38).thumb.png.21b54ccd61a41c25ad8f646f920da894.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2024 at 6:58 AM, arxcards said:

The Kanaks want to limit the number of new foreign voting (read French nationals). That colonial constitution change is designed to keep their indigenous population in the minority. Until they get a majority, they can never gain independence by peaceful means.

Colonialism has its drawbacks. 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2024 at 11:11 AM, MicCanberra said:

Britain didn't volunteer in every case, (US, SA, Ireland to name some) but again mostly via negotiation rather than war.

IRA?  Pretty sure that was a war of attrition at best.

On 5/18/2024 at 1:45 PM, Mycruiseobsession said:

Correct.

"Indigenous"

As with any colonised country that has been treated as a 2nd class citizen, well lower (actual slavery) on their own land would feel. 

What white people lording it over black people?  Bringing with them their cultures, customs, laws and illnesses.  Fancy that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

In downtown Luganville today.

Luganville is pretty much a dead loss unless you can get a taxi, or equivalent, up to the blue holes or to Champagne Bay (kudos to the PR flack who changed the name from Hog Harbour).

Some of those "taxis" are pretty dodgy.

On 5/21/2024 at 10:15 PM, Hunter69 said:

So why can't P&O & Carnival do like what they did with Covid.

State a date like June 30, no ships will be going to Noumea or Lifou. Just alternate ports like Santo, Port Vila, Mystery. 

If the issues lift, start at that date, if there's still conflict push it back. It might happen a few times but. Would be the easiest.

Plus cruises can plan there adventures before hand, not just 2 days out..

That sounds like too much sense.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

IRA?  Pretty sure that was a war of attrition at best.

IRA was for northern Ireland and yes England fought for it as well.

27 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Luganville is pretty much a dead loss unless you can get a taxi, or equivalent, up to the blue holes or to Champagne Bay (kudos to the PR flack who changed the name from Hog Harbour).

Some of those "taxis" are pretty dodgy.

Some of the cruise lines run a "cheapish" bus shuttle around to a beach just a few km away.

Kudos also to those who market the alternate names for Inyeug and West Molle Islands.

The first batch of cancelled Noumea stop cruises should be back pretty soon as I recall. No word on any other sailings yet?

2 minutes ago, Haoie said:

The first batch of cancelled Noumea stop cruises should be back pretty soon as I recall. No word on any other sailings yet?

Yes, P&O's two ships have returned, and Carnival Splendor will be back in Sydney on Tuesday. All ships dropped Lifou & Noumea from their itineraries. For Carnival, it would seem that Luganville will be substituted for the Noumea stops, and for many months to come. P&O itineraries are a bit more varied and the itineraries will have different alternates to suit.

Something official would be nice, but I expect our current ships will be out of Noumea until at least the start of cruise season (Oct). Even if the unrest dies down, the uncertainty will linger for a while. Lifou could be a bit different, as they don't have an expat population to fight against, but cruise ships won't return until they can assure passenger safety.

Next affected departures: 

Adventure departs today for Fiji, with Noumea as the first scheduled port. Port Vila is a logical replacement.

Splendor - 11th June

Encounter - 22nd June

Explorer - 8th July

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good idea thanks!

Had no idea they dropped Lifou as well.

I've never been to Luganville myself so if Splendor's Jul sailings are affected, a good chance to somewhere new.

Edited by Haoie
  • Like 1

My sailing on June 24 will be the same as the current sailing (with the exception of one more day). I doubt that Carnival would make an overnight decision to return to New Caledonia and the change of ports would have already been discussed with authorities ahead of time.

The issue I have with this model is the inability to pre-book tours in new locations and cancel existing ones. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My Cruise (Carnival Splendor) on the 24th of June has been updated:

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

Mystery Island

Vila

Santo

Sea Day

Sea Day

Sea Day

One port short (originally 4)

Edited by Zetta83
  • Like 1

Cruises from Melb  seldom get to Luganville because of the extra distance.  It's right at the top of Vanuatu.  The only time I managed was when the world was shutting down as covid hit and ended up with a magical mystery tour of who would let us in on Carnival Spirit.  Personally I liked Santo.  If ever I get there again I intend to check out the medical centre which does such good work.  I did the interesting military tour last time.  Terrible the way the USA destroyed all the equipment when they left after WW2 instead of giving it to the inhabitants.

• Like 2

We'll be visiting Santo in December. Noumea is also on the itinerary so who knows? We may well have a magical mystery tour also. Won't really bother us, it's not our first rodeo in the South Pacific.

• Like 1