Fjords - P&O or Cunard?

I'm looking at booking a week's Fjord cruise in June 2026 for my husbands 50th. I've looked at P&O and Cunard, more edging towards Cunard as the ships are smaller and think hubby would really like to go on a Cunard ship as well as it being more geared to adults than a mix. We'd also be adding the drinks package to whatever else book so not too concerned about drink prices (have read Cunard drinks can be pricey). 

Any thoughts / suggestions / advice etc? We are well travelled but new to cruising. 

Thanks 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Surprise50th said:

I've looked at P&O and Cunard

You could also consider Fred Olsen as we have found their Northern Europe/fjords itineraries to be very good in the past. They are Norwegian owned with many Norwegian captains and officers and their ships are smaller than those of Cunard.

If you find an itinerary or two which interests you but you are unsure which might offer "the best" experience, there are a few Scandinavian members here on CC who can usually advise on the pros and cons of each if you post them, although I suggest you post on the N Europe and Baltic Forum for best replies as this Ask a Cruise Question forum  is for more general questions. This one

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-baltic-sea/.

And if you look at that forum now, at the very top you will see a "pinned" thread with Qs and As for the Norwegian Fjords.  Unlike other threads, "pinned" ones do not move up or down as they are frequently referred to and intended to be an info source.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

You could also consider Fred Olsen as we have found their Northern Europe/fjords itineraries to be very good in the past. They are Norwegian owned with many Norwegian captains and officers and their ships are smaller than those of Cunard.

If you find an itinerary or two which interests you but you are unsure which might offer "the best" experience, there are a few Scandinavian members here on CC who can usually advise on the pros and cons of each if you post them, although I suggest you post on the N Europe and Baltic Forum for best replies as this Ask a Cruise Question forum  is for more general questions. This one

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-baltic-sea/.

And if you look at that forum now, at the very top you will see a "pinned" thread with Qs and As for the Norwegian Fjords.  Unlike other threads, "pinned" ones do not move up or down as they are frequently referred to and intended to be an info source.

Thank you so much and I'll post on the page you recommend too. I had started to look at Fred Olsen but reviews suggested they were aimed at older clientele, however that was just reviews so may not be true! Thanks 

9 minutes ago, Surprise50th said:

Thank you so much and I'll post on the page you recommend too. I had started to look at Fred Olsen but reviews suggested they were aimed at older clientele, however that was just reviews so may not be true! Thanks 

They are ! I would post on the boards of both P&O and Cunard, you will get lots of advice from experienced posters.

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

They are ! I would post on the boards of both P&O and Cunard, you will get lots of advice from experienced posters.

Thank you so much, will post now! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surprise50th said:

Thank you so much, will post now! 

When you have to choose a Norwegian cruise, it is also important to evaluate the individual ports. Many cruises do not enter the iconic deep Norwegian fjords at all, but visit small, not particularly interesting ports.
Especially from 2026, several ships will not be able to sail the deep UNESCO Heritage fjords at all.
List the two itineraries and get an assessment of the fjords and ports.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hallasm said:

When you have to choose a Norwegian cruise, it is also important to evaluate the individual ports. Many cruises do not enter the iconic deep Norwegian fjords at all, but visit small, not particularly interesting ports.
Especially from 2026, several ships will not be able to sail the deep UNESCO Heritage fjords at all.
List the two itineraries and get an assessment of the fjords and ports.

Thank you, that's really helpful information.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 1:58 PM, Surprise50th said:

i'm looking at booking a week's Fjord cruise in June 2026 for my husbands 50th

surprise50th, post #6 by hallasm is the reason I recommended you post on this forum, as hallasm is one of the Scandinavian experts who has an in-depth knowledge of the pros and cons of different itineraries.  To be honest,I do not know if either the PandO or the Cunard forums would offer the same as they are more focused on the ships themselves, and at the end of the day, the itinerary is just as important as the ship, for some, actually more important.

I would try to include Geiranger and Flam (but especially Geirangerfjord) on your chosen itinerary as restrictions will be introduced which will impact sailings from 2026, and as you are planning for 2026, you should check dates very carefully.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

OP: the two, despite both being 'British' are quite different.

As one who has used both, Cunard is certainly more 'elegant' than P&O.

P&O markets almost exclusively to UK residents, while Cunard is much more international.

If you enjoy fine dining, dancing and cocktail receptions, pick Cunard.

If you like bingo, deck and pub sing-songs and a much more casual atmosphere, take P&O.

Given that the scenery is a vital part of any fjords cruise, an itinerary that visits the places you want to see may be an overriding factor when it comes to choosing a ship.

When on a P&O cruise, I remember encountering an older lady who was categorical that she would never cruise with Cunard. When I asked her why not, she replied indignantly that "On Cunard they charge you in US dollars!"

Edited by Canuker
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Canuker said:

OP: the two, despite both being 'British' are quite different.

As one who has used both, Cunard is certainly more 'elegant' than P&O.

P&O markets almost exclusively to UK residents, while Cunard is much more international.

If you enjoy fine dining, dancing and cocktail receptions, pick Cunard.

If you like bingo, deck and pub sing-songs and a much more casual atmosphere, take P&O.

Given that the scenery is a vital part of any fjords cruise, an itinerary that visits the places you want to see may be an overriding factor when it comes to choosing a ship.

When on a P&O cruise, I remember encountering an older lady who was categorical that she would never cruise with Cunard. When I asked her why not, she replied indignantly that "On Cunard they charge you in US dollars!"

Thank you! I ended up booking Cunard, I want it to be special and I want to have the cocktail receptions and fine dining so that we always remember it. Maybe he'll remember all of this when I am 50 and do something amazing too!! Ha. 

I feel that lady not paying in usd missed a good experience by never sailing cunard! 

• Like 1