Rockland vs Portland

40 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I am looking at holland america cruises. One goes to portland. One goes to rockland. I've never heard of rockland. Is one better than the other?

Rockland is further north along the coast. They're both nice places-- Portland is more of a city where Rockland is more of a nice large town. Both have a lively waterfront with good restaurants and bars. 

Personally Portland would be my pick due to it's larger size but you are getting the same sort of flavor with both. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I am looking at holland america cruises. One goes to portland. One goes to rockland. I've never heard of rockland. Is one better than the other?

Be sure to not only look at the map of the cruise, but also the itinerary. If for instance you are looking at the August 31st 2024 departure from Montreal, the map shows Rockland, but the itinerary actually shows Portland, so are the official port authorities for Portland indicating, so don't always believe the map on the website!

Edited by Alphen

Might be a little prejudiced, living in Portland.  Rockland is a tender port, Portland you dock right downtown.  While the restaurant scene in Portland was ravaged due to Covid, it is still listed as a top foodie destination, and some new restaurants are starting to crop up.