Barely A Live from Escape May16-26 2024 Trieste (Venice) to Barcelona/10-Day Mediterranean: Italy Croatia Greece France Spain

23 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Rocking ??? What was in that Gelato? It looks like typical Mediterranean seas to me. There is an area to the west where the sea is above 10'. 

15 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Hey ... LOL, are you sure 😆 😁 😉 quick question- is the party over this evening onboard and/or aren't you not in one of the club, closing them yet - waiting to see an updated report of O'Sheehan's wings and late night options, etc. 

Very funny guys. Don’t impugn my character. 

I might give myself a break tomorrow. Been to Rome many times and the Vespas drive me crazy so nothing planned at the moment.

Weirdly, some Rome excursions have been canceled. Passengers were notified today that their HOHO excursion is canceled. The Rome On Your Own excursion has become Rome On Your Own by Train and I think it costs over $100. Heck give me the $100 and I can lead everyone by train…and throw in a round of gelatos for everyone. I’m generous that way. 

• Haha 7

21 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Thank you! I still look for attention and approval from teachers. 😊

Well then ten gold stars for you!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Wow, your room and lounge is awesome! I'm traveling solo for the first time on the Sun but they don't have the dedicated lounge. That coffee machine would almost make the solo supplement worth it! 😄

I've never planned a cruise solely by a specific ship but I might have to so I can use that lounge...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Very funny guys. Don’t impugn my character. 

I might give myself a break tomorrow. Been to Rome many times and the Vespas drive me crazy so nothing planned at the moment.

Weirdly, some Rome excursions have been canceled. Passengers were notified today that their HOHO excursion is canceled. The Rome On Your Own excursion has become Rome On Your Own by Train and I think it costs over $100. Heck give me the $100 and I can lead everyone by train…and throw in a round of gelatos for everyone. I’m generous that way. 

The train back to the ship from Rome is not a good memory at all. 😒 It was near 100 degrees that August in Italy. We took the next to last train back to be safe to get back to the ship on time. It was packed and exceedingly hot. And that was before the a fight broke out on the train, 😢

DW later said that we should have spent the extra for Rome on Your Own (like we did for Florence) in order to get the air conditioned bus.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

IMG_9932.thumb.jpeg.9209762b2941600ef5279de54934a969.jpeg

Wow.  That cabin looks better than I would have expected.

Definitely something to think about.

And I really like the snack and drinks set up.

Nice area to relax if I need to get away from the craziness.

Thank you for the pictures and your 'Barely A Live' trip report.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tcmagnum said:

Wow.  That cabin looks better than I would have expected.

Definitely something to think about.

And I really like the snack and drinks set up.

Nice area to relax if I need to get away from the craziness.

Thank you for the pictures and your 'Barely A Live' trip report.

As long as you book a dedicated solo cabin…Studio, Solo Inside, Solo Oceanview, Solo Balcony…you will have access to the lounge. I have noticed that NCL allocated some of the less desirable locations as solo cabins. If I want to book an Inside cabin with lounge access, the Solo Inside cabins will likely be on Deck 5 where it might be under the theater, in which case, no thanks. 

15 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

As long as you book a dedicated solo cabin…Studio, Solo Inside, Solo Oceanview, Solo Balcony…you will have access to the lounge. I have noticed that NCL allocated some of the less desirable locations as solo cabins. If I want to book an Inside cabin with lounge access, the Solo Inside cabins will likely be on Deck 5 where it might be under the theater, in which case, no thanks. 

I was actually looking at a solo balcony because it looks like my 'cabinmate' might be cancelling due to having a baby (total surprise, but very happy).  I do a lot of research to see what is above and below any cabin we book.  Thank you for the information.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I am not suggesting that I am being stalked, but…

IMG_2751.thumb.jpeg.c6e37e1fddb0dd4fb29059c82872945f.jpeg

Well, well … these unicorns do exist. 

Thank you kind folks!

If you're going to be stalked, you could do a lot worse than by the Cookie Monster. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I have a solo inside booked and it's on deck 11 on the other side of the stairwell from the studio lounge (there were no studio cabins available when I booked). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CazV said:

I have a solo inside booked and it's on deck 11 on the other side of the stairwell from the studio lounge (there were no studio cabins available when I booked). 

That is great. Are you booked on the Escape? The Inside cabins have more space than the Studios and also have a mini fridge so I would prefer a Solo Inside over a Studio if the Inside cabin is near the lounge and not on a lower deck. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

@jrt.mom @tcmagnum

Available only on Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, Escape, Joy, Bliss, Encore, Prima, Viva.

Older ships do not have dedicated Studio Lounge or Studio cabins.

I will be on the Sun with a porthole ocean view in a solo cabin. It's on deck 4. I've never been on such a low deck...if the ocean is rough it might be like watching a front loading washing machine...

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

That is great. Are you booked on the Escape? The Inside cabins have more space than the Studios and also have a mini fridge so I would prefer a Solo Inside over a Studio if the Inside cabin is near the lounge and not on a lower deck. 

Yep... on the Escape. Really pleased with the location. 

• Like 1

We ported in Civitavecchia today where most people booked excursions to Rome. Apparently, NCL canceled some HOHO tours yesterday and modified the "Rome On Your Own" excursion to "Rome On Your Own By Train." 

Unfortunately, those who stuck with the NCL train option were so delayed arriving into Rome that some missed their own booked tours/entrances to sites like the Colosseum and the Vatican. One frustrated passenger shared on social media that they waited from 7:30am to 8:50am for a bus to take them from the port to the train station, and then the train stopped moving for almost 40 minutes.

The Shore Excursion Desk is compiling a list of staterooms with complaints about this excursion. You would think that ShoreEx  has all the affected stateroom information in their system, but I guess they are hoping that not all will know how or think to complain.

I have been to Rome a few times so I did not book any excursions, but I did pay a quick visit for old times sake.

I was going to take the complimentary white shuttle bus from the dock to the pier gate and then walk the 1.5 miles to the train station. However, a red shuttle bus pulled up in front the ship, which was the shuttle to the train station so I happily hopped on, even though the fare was €6 one way.

IMG_2662.thumb.jpeg.0d772d8327191844e6faec09075b7c9d.jpeg

IMG_2661.thumb.jpeg.88cbfabd0ecd683a67780fd6b4e8fe45.jpeg

IMG_2659.thumb.jpeg.b0edc42ed96679f9e2d2073a41e1e3da.jpeg

While waiting for more passengers to board the shuttle bus, I booked my train ticket to Roma Termini on the Trenitalia app. I strongly recommend downloading the Trenitalia app if you are visiting Italy. The Civitavecchia train station looked like this with tons of people purchasing tickets at the ticket booth and ticket machines.

IMG_2671.thumb.jpeg.06ac8730c006ef1dcf71b530d87b39de.jpeg

It was a comfortable hour and twenty minute ride from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini and I was able to charge my phone.

IMG_2677.thumb.jpeg.bd48451e2aaa4460e4887bc0d8f1581b.jpeg

IMG_2675.thumb.jpeg.80e05a117d683082ca3ec7f0eb25c405.jpeg

IMG_2683.thumb.jpeg.29d8d0db8ca990050fe436275f7aa559.jpeg

IMG_2724.thumb.jpeg.77e44051c53fc574394c4d2d1f7f84ea.jpeg

IMG_2722.thumb.jpeg.1528eaa0e52dcd18d5d576af041ac507.jpeg

Restrooms are available at Roma Termini train station for €1.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When I returned to Civitavecchia, I thought about walking back to the ship from the train station, having eaten a 6 month supply of gelato in just a few days. 

Then I decided to wait for the €6 red shuttle bus back to the ship but a long line was forming and the bus schedules seemed more like suggestions.

Then I spotted several 8 seater taxi vans and assumed they were taking cruise passengers back to the port. So I briskly and quietly walked toward that area to avoid triggering a stampede. The taxi driver charged €6 per person and I was back on the ship in no time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4