Solo in Miami prior to cruise

sousak78

Apologies if this isn't the best place to post this.  I'm booked to go on my first solo cruise at the end of May (leaving husband and kid at home), sailing from Miami.  I'm flying in the day before but not staying near the port or the airport so my hotel won't have shuttle service to either location. 

I've read mixed reviews on traveling via taxi or Uber/Lyft in Miami (taxis see a single woman rider and will drive you all over Miami just to drive up the fare, etc, Uber drivers are crazy/dangerous drivers and they don't speak English etc). 

As a solo middle-aged woman traveling in Miami, a place I've never visited before, has anyone had issues using Uber/Lyft or other modes of transportation?  I'm from a small place with minimal crime so being in a place like Miami, alone, does make me a little nervous.  I do want to go to a few places to get some things prior to sailing and do some shopping and not everywhere I want to visit is within walking distance of my hotel and I will need transport from the Airport to my hotel and from the hotel to the port.  Using rideshare would be the most convenient and cost efficient way for getting around outside of using public transportation.  Where I come from, we drive on the left so I wouldn't be comfortable renting a car to get around in a place I am not familiar with.

Happy to hear any experiences/tips/etc for getting around Miami as a solo female traveler.

Thanks!

I had no issues using Uber in Miami. There are always going to be stories about crime everywhere. I've been traveling as a solo woman all over the world. I use taxis, buses, the subway, trains, walking, etc. I've never had an issue other than being called by vendors to enter their shops. 

• Like 1

I've used taxis many times in Miami as a solo female traveler and have never had a driver take a longer route to drive up the fee. I usually open a map app to track our route early in the ride to insure we are going directly to the destination but it has never been a problem. Out of many taxi rides I only had one driver who I felt was reckless but we still arrived safely.

I can't give much information about Uber since I've only used them once and while he wasn't talkative the ride was fine.

Add me to the list of solo women who have had no issues using Uber in Miami. As someone said, English is probably their second language and some speak it better than others. On my last trip, the Uber driver I had from my hotel to the port spoke zero English other than hello, please and thank you. I was fortunate in that the hotel valet guy was there and acted as a translator to explain where in the port I needed to go. I have never felt unsafe using Uber anywhere, even in Europe.

• 4 weeks later...

The only issue I’ve had with an Uber was when I forgot my jacket and he spoke no English. I was not able to call him and get my jacket back. So don’t forget anything in your Uber and enjoy not having to make small talk.

• Like 1

I wanted to thank everyone who commented on this post.  You helped reassure me that everything woukd be just fine and it was.

As you all said, I had no issues as a solo woman traveling around Miami at all.  Every driver I had was a good driver, they were all friendly, came pretty quickly and no one seemed to take scenic routes to get me where I needed to go.

Only issue was the language barrier, as a previous poster had mentioned.  It seemed like nobody spoke English.  I speak some Portuguese so I could make out bits and pieces of what was being said but I was surprised how little English I heard while in Miami.  Not a big deal, I got by fine and my cruise was awesome.

• Like 3

@sousak78 Glad to hear you had a good experience and thanks for reporting back!

I want to add that one of the big pluses to using rideshare (Uber/Lyft etc) is that they do automatically track the ride for you so both the rider and Lyft are watching.  I had a Lyft driver in Miami last year accidentally take a wrong turn and so the ride took a little longer than would be normal, and the Lyft app messaged me and asked if everything was all right!  I really appreciated that feature of the App!  

Happy solo travels everyone!

~Nancy