Passport Validity

jeanlyon

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes agree, no longer valid in Europe, but must be valid in the UK - as they issued it?

No as that was agreed by UK as part of Brexit deal that no passport can last longer than 10 yrs. There has been many reports of people arriving at UK airports for holiday abroad and refused boarding for same reason. They lose their holiday and cannot claim off insurance. No passport can last more than 10 yrs from date of issue.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

No as that was agreed by UK as part of Brexit deal that no passport can last longer than 10 yrs. There has been many reports of people arriving at UK airports for holiday abroad and refused boarding for same reason. They lose their holiday and cannot claim off insurance. No passport can last more than 10 yrs from date of issue.

That is correct for leaving the UK and entering the EU, but not for coming back. 

Jeanlyon can enter the EU on her passport until 10 Jan 2026. She will have three months left because her expiry date is in October 2026. What she cannot do is enter the EU on 12 January 2026, as her passport will be more than 10 years from the date of issue. Then the three months are immaterial. 

People are being refused boarding because they are showing up with a passport thinking that they because have more than 3 months left they are fine, but discovering that because they have passed the 10 years since date of issue, they cannot enter the EU. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, frozenflowers said:

That is correct for leaving the UK and entering the EU, but not for coming back. 

Jeanlyon can enter the EU on her passport until 10 Jan 2026. She will have three months left because her expiry date is in October 2026. What she cannot do is enter the EU on 12 January 2026, as her passport will be more than 10 years from the date of issue. Then the three months are immaterial. 

People are being refused boarding because they are showing up with a passport thinking that they because have more than 3 months left they are fine, but discovering that because they have passed the 10 years since date of issue, they cannot enter the EU. 

No you are wrong you have to have at least 3 months validity on your passport when returning to the UK from your holiday. If you haven't you will be denied boarding in the UK at the start of your holiday. This is all from date of issue plus 10yrs. The extension is no longer an option. Everybody's passport runs out 10yrs from date of issue and has to have 3 months or more validity on that date or will be denied boarding.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

Just now, majortom10 said:

No you are wrong you have to have at least 3 months validity on your passport when returning to the UK from your holiday. If you haven't you will be denied boarding in the UK at the start of your holiday.

Yes, that is correct. What I am trying to tell you is that a passport with JeanLyon’s dates DOES have three months validity when her holiday ends in October 2025, for the purposes of determining her return date. You are still allowed to count “extra” months for that purpose. 

What you are not allowed to do is count the extra months for the purposes of entering the EU. So her passport expires for entry in January 2026, and she can’t enter the EU after that date even if the expiry date suggests she has three months left. So no going on holiday in April 2026 on that passport. But it would be absolutely fine to go in October 2025, as the January date is not relevant for determining the date of expiry.

There are TWO independent rules here: one rule about the date of ISSUE and one about the date of EXPIRY. A passport has to be less than 10 years from date of issue to enter the EU. A passport has to have 3 months left before the date of expiry when leaving the EU. They are different rules. 

• Like 1

Yes OK got it.  So I would be out of time anyway, as I don't get back until 17th October 2025 and it expires 11 January 2026.   Will renew April 2025.

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Everybody's passport runs out 10yrs from date of issue

That is not true - it only applies to Schengen countries, the rest of the world could not care less just as long as there are three, or in a few cases six, months remaining.

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

No you are wrong you have to have at least 3 months validity on your passport when returning to the UK from your holiday. If you haven't you will be denied boarding in the UK at the start of your holiday. This is all from date of issue plus 10yrs. The extension is no longer an option. Everybody's passport runs out 10yrs from date of issue and has to have 3 months or more validity on that date or will be denied boarding.

Sorry, but you are utterly, utterly wrong.

There are two completely separate rules that are independent of each other.

Rule 1 - Was your passport issued within the last ten years

Rule 2 - Is your passport valid for three months after the date you intend leaving the EU.

The two rules are not related, and an expiry date is an expiry date irrespective of when the passport was issued.

A passport issued on 11 Jan 2016 that expires 11 October 2026 complies with rule 1 all the way up to 10 Jan 2026.

A passport with an expiry date of 11 October 2026 complies with rule 2 until someone is returning up to 10 July 2026.

Thus someone could travel on that passport on the 10th January 2026 for three months travel to the EU and return on the 9th April 2026 and it would be perfectly fine as there was more than three months before the passport expired.

However would I suggest that someone did that - no I would not, because it is quite possible that someone with such a passport might encounter someone at an airport or cruise port check-in desk who has a poor level of training and so has the same misunderstanding of the rules that you do.

• Like 3

Jean…the only people giving you the correct information on this thread are Frozen flowers and 9265359. 

your passport expires on the date printed in the passport. Fact. It does not expire 10 years from the date of issue. However, you cannot travel outwards/ to the EU if your passport was issued more than 10 years ago. But you could travel to many other countries in the world!

I have the situation where my passport was issued in Dec 14, and expires in July 25. I am travelling to the EU on 3 October 24 and returning on 18 October 24. On the date of outward travel, my passport will have been issued less than 10 years ago, so is valid for travel. 
when I return, my passport will have nearly 9 months validity left and so is valid for inward travel. 
P&O have confirmed my passport is valid ( and assure me that check in staff are aware of the rules!) as have the passport office. This graphic was issued by the passport office.

IMG_7087.jpeg