Rolex Boutique - Explora 1

My wife would like to purchase a Rolex for our anniversary cruise in January.  Has anyone purchased onboard and does the shop stock popular models?  Thank you in advance.  

1 hour ago, Jratlanta said:

My wife would like to purchase a Rolex for our anniversary cruise in January.  Has anyone purchased onboard and does the shop stock popular models?  Thank you in advance.  

Happy to go and have a look later this evening for you. They seem to have a fair few models onboard as well as two other boutiques; Piaget and Cartier also selling watches. Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular and then I can check the price so perhaps you can assess how this aligns to what those at home? 

• Like 1

Extremely grateful for your offer!  We are looking to purchase a stainless Daytona in with either a white or black dial.  If neither are offered for sale, we would like to purchase a stainless GMT sub with red and blue bezel (Pepsi nickname) or the black and blue bezel (Batman nickname).  Thank you in advance and we so appreciate you sharing your experience on Explora.  

• Like 2

I was onboard the Vancouver-LA sailing, and someone mentioned that the shop has a quota of how many watches they can sell in a day...  something like 2?  I didn't confirm, so just FYI.

And tax is payable when disembarking I read - the ship reports the sales to the authorities so buyer beware etc 

• Like 1

My wife bought a Rolex in December.  It was very popular with many passengers.  They have watches available and it is a good selection.  

47 minutes ago, Jratlanta said:

RJ2002 - Are you referring to a quota of a minimum or maximum number of sales per day set at two watches?  Thanks in advance.

Yes, that is what I understood from our travel advisor, who was also on our sailing.  I am presuming it was communicated during one of the Explora orientation sessions which were held for the numerous TA's onboard.   As I said, I didn't follow up since I was not interested in a purchase.  Perhaps someone else onboard currently can confirm for you.

21 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

Yes, that is what I understood from our travel advisor, who was also on our sailing.  I am presuming it was communicated during one of the Explora orientation sessions which were held for the numerous TA's onboard.   As I said, I didn't follow up since I was not interested in a purchase.  Perhaps someone else onboard currently can confirm for you.

Which was it? Minimum or maximum?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Which was it? Minimum or maximum?

I understood it to be maximum.  This was just a passing comment at dinner by our TA, and I had no interest anyway so I didn't pursue.  It might very well be related to their inventory onboard, and that they don't want to sell out within the first few days of a sailing.  Just speculating.

Edited by RJ2002
  • Like 1

Hi, I have now taken the opportunity to visit the Rolex store and provide you with a little information which I hope is helpful to you.

The store assistant was quick to state that stock availability changes week by week, but at the time of writing based upon your preferences; 

Daytona - not in stock. Apparently this is a very hard to come by model and as such she did not feel it was likely that they would ever get hold of one of these. If in stock the tax free price (all in Euros) would be 14,800

Pepsi, currently in stock in white gold 42,100

GMT, in stock 11,350

Batman

Oyster Bracelet (not currently in stock but they do occasionally have) 11,100

Jubilee Bracelet 11,300

In terms of the tax declaration, when the ship arrives in a disembarkation port at end of its “leg” or journey the ship provides a list of sales made to the authorities. This could affect individuals who have purchased if they are disembarking in the country of their origin and duty applied. i.e if a US citizen had purchased on board and was disembarking in Miami tomorrow. If it were an UK passenger in transit it would be up to that individual to declare (or not) when they reached their own country.

I also asked directly about their 2 sales a day policy, she was of the opinion that this had been misunderstood. Whilst she did not want to disclose a number, she did say that there was a limit on the number of watches that would be sold PER PASSENGER. That seems to make more sense to me as I suggest they are trying to control the level of high value, tax free items each person has? I took some photos of some of the items on display but it appears that they hold more that is not out on the shop floor. Sorry they are not good quality! IMG_6594.thumb.jpeg.f359961542443b7d6bdcf4cd8372a741.jpeg

IMG_6593.jpeg

IMG_6592.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sidney68, So incredibly kind of you to take time away from your cruise to provide such a detailed response.  The clarification on quantity, models and pricing is invaluable.  Your photos are greatly appreciated as well.  If we're ever on the same cruise, I would like to buy you a bottle of wine (sorry, not a Rolex).  Cheers

• Like 1