Thoughts on our first cruise / Harmony OTS

This is a little long but I wrote this mainly for first time cruisers to document our experience. Hope this helps others:

Our first cruise experience. When we got to the cruise terminal checking in was an absolute nightmare. Many people had said it was super easy and fast. There was no organization and it was clear nobody knew what was going on. There was people everywhere and no signs on where to go. We had the key and I would had thought the “The Key” check-in would have been towards the front but it was placed on the other side of the cruise terminal. I would say it took over an hour to get onboard. Overall the process just to get on the ship was super fast once we got to “The Key” section. I am not complaining just a little surprised, that’s all. I thought “The Key” signature lunch was the best I have ever had. I had the steak burger.
                  Another thing I thought could have been a little better in my opinion. There was no signs or anything showing us where to go for the “The Key” lunch in the dining room. I asked someone in guest services. All the staff we encountered everywhere on the ship has been absolutely top notch.
                  The safety brief was super easy. Most of it was on the app and then you check in to your muster station and they scan your seapass card and you are done.
                  We had a junior suite and I was surprised how much bigger it is compared to a balcony overlooking the boardwalk. Also I want to mention everyone says to bring magnetic hooks, which is a good idea but in our cabin the bathroom had built hooks which were nice to hang up towels and other things. Our junior suite has a nice size walk in closet which we found to be very nice. There is only two of us and the extra space allowed us to spread out a bit.
                  We were disappointed in the Royal Up process. We did not find out we did not get it until the day of our cruise. I don’t think we will do that again. I don’t like waiting to the last possible minute hoping we win.
                  We have been cruising the last two days and I will say you can do as much as you want or do has little as you want. I mean there are things always going on, so you won’t be board unless you prefer that.
                We saw grease last night and I will say that show was amazing. Definitely a must. The staff is so talented. It truly was unbelievable. I will say however that there are people who might be wondering, I use a walker to get around and there is handicap seating in the back and it is no problem find a seat and putting the walker behind it. I will say get there early though. We got there about 30 minutes early and the Royal Theater was already packed. For those curious like I was. You will want to make reservations as there was lots of people waiting that did not make reservations.
                We have pretty much eaten breakfast and lunch in the MDR everyday and have have had no complaints. Our server at dinner has been the same person and is very good. You can get whatever you want and multiple items, if desired. The portions are smaller than you would see at a restaurant on land but personally I like that as I don’t eat a lot of food anyway.
                  Today was our 4
th day and our first stop Roaton, Honduras. Since we had to meet for our excursion early we decided to get room service. For breakfast. There is a menu card in the room and you fill it out and hang it on the door before 3am and they delivered it at 6-6:30am (Time we Chose). They called first. I was beyond impressed. Insert picture here. If I had one suggestion, it seems to me that when ordering room service you should be able to order from the app or the tv in the room. I thought I heard one time you could also order off the MDR menu, but I called room service and asked and they said only the room service menu. We have had room service 3-4 times now. I will say it is about $9 and some change. You can order whatever you want and get multiples if desired. In my opinion the cost is more than worth it.
              First, I will talk about the excursion we did. We went on the explore Roaton sightseeing tour which was nice. We drove all around the island and the guide pointed out interesting facts about the island. Now let me talk a little about the things I was most concerned about. As I said before I use a walker to get around but I did not take it on the tour, my wife helped me stay upright so I did not fall over. I am glad I did not bring it as the bus was packed and I am not sure there was room for it anyway. This was a mild excursion. The people in our bus were very gracious and once they realized I was having trouble walking they left the seats in the front open so I could sit down. I was most grateful.
                  When the tour was over they dropped us back at Coxen Hole (I think) and we visited the shops there at the port. If wondering how long the pier is, you can be in the port less than 5 minutes once off the ship. The ship docks super close to the port.
                Well yesterday was day 5 and we were supposed to go to Costa Maya but the stop was cancelled due to high winds and weather. We were ok with that but we would have thought there would have been great deals on the shopping on the ship. There was really nothing off or very little. For example and I know this is an experience but I am not paying $49 for a sweatshirt that’s say Royal Caribbean. Just my opinion.
                 We had dinner in 150 Central Park and I will say I still can’t believe the dishes look so elegant. I would think I am at a fancy restaurant on land and not in the middle of the ocean. I will say it was not my kind of food but impressive none the less. We were with family and they wanted to go there.
                  We also went to The Fine Line in the Aqua Theater. I personally thought it was weird but my spouse and family thought it was good. Basically, we ate and caught up on sleep most of the day. After all we are on vacation aren’t you supposed to relax?
                  It is the afternoon of day 6 and we are in Cozumel. We did the Cozumel City Tour by Trolley. Like before I did not bring my walker. My Spouse was able to help keep me upright. The trolley had a place up front for me to sit which was nice as I was concerned about that. It was pretty nice tour. We stopped at several places where we could shop. One thing I will point out for people like me who have mobility issues, the pier in Cozumel is not super long to the port but time I got there I was tired. I asked guest services if I had told them in advance my mobility issues would they have assisted. I was told when onboard the ship they can help with canes, wheelchairs, etc but when in port the port handles all of that. I heard at times there are people that can help on the pier but not when we were there. I guess it just depends.
                  Our last day is tomorrow and we have the all access ship tour in the morning and Chops Grille later that day. Seems like a good way to wrap up this cruise. I will have more tomorrow.
                  We had the all access ship tour this morning and I will say this tour was awesome. If you are on the fence in understanding how meals are made, ships control room, bridge, I-95, laundry, etc on a cruise ship this tour is a must. As I said I have mobility issues and my spouse was there to keep me upright. There are lots of step stairs and uneven surfaces so know that before going. I was extremely tired once it was over. The tour lasted about two hours.
                  We ate as Chops Grille for dinner for our last specialty dining experience and it did not disappoint. I got the 16 ounce Ribeye and it was excellent. Like for our entire cruise the staff was top notch. For our next cruise Jamie’s Italian will be on the menu.
                  Everyone always ask about tipping so I will share where we tipped. Our waiters in the MDR, Our cabin steward, the waiters in the two specialty restaurants, Our tour guides and drivers for both of the excursions we did at each stop, Porters at the terminal (going), and the driver at the cruise parking area where we parked our car and the guide for the all access tour.
               I will mention it was super easy to disembark the ship. Although we had to wait but when you have 6000+ people trying to leave it’s going to be busy. Since we had “The Key” there is a section in the terminal that says the key. Our luggage was exactly where they said it would be.
                  Some final thoughts on our first cruise. Royal Caribbean went all out. The ship is beautiful and all the staff is amazing. I really liked the fact they took a moment I think on the last day to recognize our military veteran’s and first responders. Now the question I am sure most people are wondering, would we do it again? Without a doubt, the next cruise is already booked. I think for the next cruise I will contact Royal Caribbean and stick to excursions where others have mobility type issues like I do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the honest review. We will be sailing Harmony in December. I am that silly person who buys the RC sweatshirt. I laughed when I read that in your review, I buy sweatshirts for everywhere I go(: I appreciate the insight on the tours, particularly the all access tour.

• Like 2

Thank you for taking the time to review.  I appreciate it and enjoyed reading about your impressions of the ship and excursions.

• Like 1

Nice review we had done same ship 6 months ago but I’m a grand suite, with that checkin was extremely easy . I agree on Grease really enjoyed it , but we loved show in aqua theater. I don’t care for 150cp on any ship but most seem to love it , we bought the UDP which allows you to eat all dinners and some lunches in specialty restaurants, really liked Chops and Jamie’s did both multiple times . 

• Like 1

FYI, next cruise... you might consider renting a scooter... scoot around and special needs at sea offer scooters and other equipment for rent during your cruise. They will have a scooter in your cabin. Ideally you would have an accessible cabin...but we have managed in regular cabins....but it helps if the bed is by the balcony.. and Harmony is designed so that the bathroom door opens towards the room vs entry...making it easier to park in the cabin. If you go on an excursion... you might be able to get wheel chair assistance... that really depends on the port. Or you can take the scooter ...if just sticking to port. The crew will help you get back on the ship... since tide changes can make it more difficult during high tide. Also... you can see if you can get wheel chair assistance to help you get through the terminal..but you need to arrange that with the cruise line ahead of time. DH has bad knees and knee replacement isn't really an option. 

• Like 1