First time celebrity cruiser

Hi! I'm a first time cruiser and I'm cruising from UK on a Scandanavia cruise in Aug! I'd appreciate any help with my questions please 🙏 

1. Can I shop in the different places I visit and bring things back onto the ship? For example clothes, homeware etc. 

2. How strict are they on bringing your own soft drinks? Can I pop a few waters in my bag? 

3. I've read there is no luggage restriction. This seems wild but ofc its my first cruise. This means I can literally bring 2 suitcases if I wish? 

4. How do formal nights differ from 'normal nights'? Is it just formal wear or do they tend to have events? 

Thanks all!

Posted (edited)

Yes, you can bring pretty much anything other than fresh food and alcohol onto the ship.  Whether you bring it from home or buy it in port.  You can bring as much luggage as you want. The biggest limiter on luggage is just the fact that the rooms are small. Only so much room to stash your empty suitcases.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hilaurennn said:

Hi! I'm a first time cruiser and I'm cruising from UK on a Scandanavia cruise in Aug! I'd appreciate any help with my questions please 🙏 

1. Can I shop in the different places I visit and bring things back onto the ship? For example clothes, homeware etc. 

2. How strict are they on bringing your own soft drinks? Can I pop a few waters in my bag? 

3. I've read there is no luggage restriction. This seems wild but ofc its my first cruise. This means I can literally bring 2 suitcases if I wish? 

4. How do formal nights differ from 'normal nights'? Is it just formal wear or do they tend to have events? 

Thanks all!

You could even bring 3 suitcases if you want😃

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Hilaurennn said:

This was covered recently quite a bit so scroll back a few pages in here to see folks replies.  For the most part, it does have SOME restrictions - I think glass containers and having to be brought in with YOU not as "checked" luggage via the drop-off area.  Alcohol has different restrictions - especially after the start of the cruise.  When coming back to the ship at port, you're fine bringing back water and the like with you. You will go through ship security every time, so they see what you have in your bags and will make sure the rules are followed.  

We typically have our own refillable water bottles that we fill with tap water or if we have a beverage plan, we get a couple of bottles on the ship before departing.  Same could be done for soda or other non-alcohol items.

45 minutes ago, Hilaurennn said:

Usually there are two formal/chic nights on a 7 day cruise, and a small/medium percentage of folks really dress up, while the majority are mildly dressed up, and a small percentage don't even try.  In a restaurant or the main dining room, you'll fit in if you go really nice or just well dressed, so go with what fits the night.  I'm of the opinion you can never be too dressy for a very nice dinner & a show no matter the suggested dress for the day. Formal/chic nights just usually add some opportunities around the ship to get special photos, maybe mix in an officer meet & greet, or are on the "big show" evenings. It is nice, but not so big anymore.  

I think it is really neat to see folks put in some effort to dress up, but I also know some folks really chafe at the thought of getting too dressed up.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Yes, you can bring pretty much anything other than fresh food and alcohol onto the ship.  Whether you bring it from home or buy it in port.  You can bring as much luggage as you want. The biggest limiter on luggage is just the fact that the rooms are small. Only so much room to stash your empty suitcases.

You can buy alcohol at any port and bring it back onboard, but it will be tagged and held for you for the remainder of the cruise. Most port liquor stores will box it for you for the ship to hold. It’s returned to you on the last night of the cruise. Have done this many times, especially in the Caribbean where we usually buy different varieties of rums. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hilaurennn said:

Also, considering MANY (maybe most) ports depend on folks buying stuff and literally will create mini-shopping centers in the port that you are required to pass through to get to/from a ship, buying stuff and bringing it back on board is a very normal event. Again, alcohol has its own rules (held by Celebrity until the last day I think), but most if not all other things you buy and return to the ship with are really more between YOU and the CUSTOMS folks in your own country when you return.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

beds are high with lots of storage space underneath.

• Like 1