Carrying drinks onboard (I know it says it is not allowed)

wgeddings

I know the rules say that you are not allowed to carry sodas on board (I am only interested in soda, no alcoholic beverages, wine, etc.).   However, several months ago we saw someone with a 12 pack of can Coke (like many people carry onboard a Carnival cruise).  I thought they would stop him but no one said anything.  It was not hidden or anything and I doubt there was a medical reason to bring his own Coke onboard.   Note, I am talking about the SODA.

Has anyone tried to bring soda onboard and been denied?  If I bring a 12 pack of soda cans, do you think they would stop me or ignore it like they did with that guy?  Since he obviously came through security with it, wonder if it would be better to keep it in my carry on bag?   I have had 12 pack of soda confiscated on Carnival before when it was in my checked bag so I know better than that but really curious.  Onboard, $4 per can is awfully high and the non-alcoholic drink package is $196 and both people in the cabin have to have it. 

Was on Meraviglia and security did not care what drinks were brought on. Saw folks with packs of beer and soda and security just let them all through. There was no table setup that had confiscated items. So I brought back a 6 pack of beer at the next port and enjoyed it in my room. 

Other cruise lines would have a table setup for confiscated items and are pretty strict with what can be brought back but on Meraviglia they didn’t care.

Sure it’s written in their policies but it’s not enforced.

• Thanks 1

What do you have to lose by trying? I personally am a rule abider, so I wouldn't do it, but if the worst that can happen is they take it and you're out a few bucks, then why not give it a shot? Assuming you aren't a compulsive rule abider like me, that is.

• Like 3

I think like always it depends on the security person you get.  I have seen people have stuff confiscated and others sail right through.  

• Like 1

Among all reviews people write about their cruises, someone told he entered some sodas and he said how they were hidden on the baggage.

Anyway.... if you buy a Drinks pack, I do not find any advantage except if it is the case of a specific brand

We have observed “beverages” being taken away at Embarkation but have found from experience that you can bring beverages on board at Ports. So we have shopped throughout the cruise when in Port. 

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, wgeddings said:

I know the rules say that you are not allowed to carry sodas on board (I am only interested in soda, no alcoholic beverages, wine, etc.).   However, several months ago we saw someone with a 12 pack of can Coke (like many people carry onboard a Carnival cruise).  I thought they would stop him but no one said anything.  It was not hidden or anything and I doubt there was a medical reason to bring his own Coke onboard.   Note, I am talking about the SODA.

Has anyone tried to bring soda onboard and been denied?  If I bring a 12 pack of soda cans, do you think they would stop me or ignore it like they did with that guy?  Since he obviously came through security with it, wonder if it would be better to keep it in my carry on bag?   I have had 12 pack of soda confiscated on Carnival before when it was in my checked bag so I know better than that but really curious.  Onboard, $4 per can is awfully high and the non-alcoholic drink package is $196 and both people in the cabin have to have it. 

Carnival allows you to bring soda on board.  Only cans are allowed.

This is directly from MSC website:

NON-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES Non-alcoholic drinks, such as water, soda and juices, are prohibited to be brought on board either as carryon or checked luggage on both embarkation and port days. The only exception is purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula

52 minutes ago, hapytobehr said:

Carnival allows you to bring soda on board.  Only cans are allowed.

This is directly from MSC website:

NON-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES Non-alcoholic drinks, such as water, soda and juices, are prohibited to be brought on board either as carryon or checked luggage on both embarkation and port days. The only exception is purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula

Literally the very first sentence of the original post is "I know the rules say that you are not allowed to carry sodas on board."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going for it - 100%.

Pack of 6 beers - £6.

Potential loss - £6

Potential saving ~£60

Bottle of juice

Potential loss - £2

Potential saving ~£20

• Like 3

@amurray88 - Just remember to bring cans.  Everyone is prickly about bottles (even plastic).  I see it the same way and will take the risk.  12 pack of Coke = $6 vs. 12 Cokes bought online = $48.   

@JamieLogical - yeah, amazing how people completely ignore the message and just chime in.  sigh.😃

Hello. I agree. They didn't care. We were on board last week. We brought beer in cans on board at each port. But did not try at embarkation port, Brooklyn. 

• Like 1

When we got back on the Meraviglia yesterday in Nassau, the couple ahead of us had THREE bottles of liquor (I presume rum?) that they put through the x-ray.  The security guy looked them over and picked one up and said “be careful sending this through; they’re fragile!”

They didn’t seem to care.

10 hours ago, bertha said:

Hello. I agree. They didn't care. We were on board last week. We brought beer in cans on board at each port. But did not try at embarkation port, Brooklyn. 

In my situation MSC don't win or lose out of it. If I get it on at £1 a beer, I'll drink it. If I don't, I will do without.

I understand the rule, I get why they do it but glad that some people see sense and don't enforce it unless it's a lot

On 5/22/2024 at 3:39 PM, JamieLogical said:

Literally the very first sentence of the original post is "I know the rules say that you are not allowed to carry sodas on board."

My bad-i saw that after i posted.  But you can always rely on the fact that someone will correct you.

23 hours ago, wgeddings said:

@amurray88 - Just remember to bring cans.  Everyone is prickly about bottles (even plastic).  I see it the same way and will take the risk.  12 pack of Coke = $6 vs. 12 Cokes bought online = $48.   

@JamieLogical - yeah, amazing how people completely ignore the message and just chime in.  sigh.😃

I WAS trying to be helpful, NOT trying to "CHIME" in. I realized it AFTER i posted.    geeesh

• Like 2

6 hours ago, amurray88 said:

In my situation MSC don't win or lose out of it. If I get it on at £1 a beer, I'll drink it. If I don't, I will do without.

I understand the rule, I get why they do it but glad that some people see sense and don't enforce it unless it's a lot

Had a college age friend who was on Carnival when they allowed you bring several bottled water on board.  He took a large number of bottles of water, used a needle to suck all the water out through the bottom, then inject vodka, tequila and rum into several bottles (since clear) and seal with a dab of rubber cement,  and put regular bottles of water around them. He was so proud of himself until I pointed how many man hours he just spent and even at minimum wage he would have been cheaper buying full price drinks on board.   He just did it for the thrill.  🤷‍♀️😃  Everyone walks their own path I guess.

• Haha 2

I've had both a bottle of bubbles (intended for the customer service manager which is where it wound up) and water both confiscated while going through security at Port Canaveral. So, yes, they can stop you at embarkation since it is NOT MSC staff doing the security screening.

When getting back onboard after a port of all the MSC staff is much more lenient and much less likely stop you. For example, you can easily bring a 6 pack of Corona in from Cozumel.  

Port Canaveral was a port of call not embarkation, they used port personnel for the screening  of returning pax at the terminal not the ships machines/security offices and yes they were stopping everything. Piles of cases of soda, bottles of adult refreshments, everything.   

At our Nassau port of call it was ship board security doing the screening and almost everything and anything was let through except me with bilateral full hip replacements I had to do the full monty each time I get on the ship. Also had to wait for a male security officer, should have just brought back booze and they would have just let me though I guess. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brighton Line said:

At our Nassau port of call it was ship board security doing the screening and almost everything and anything was let through except me with bilateral full hip replacements I had to do the full monty each time I get on the ship. Also had to wait for a male security officer, should have just brought back booze and they would have just let me though I guess. 

BWHAHAHA, my husband gets the FULL pat down all the time with his Titanium Knee!

On 5/29/2024 at 12:52 PM, Morgsmom said:

BWHAHAHA, my husband gets the FULL pat down all the time with his Titanium Knee!

Hmm, most places would charge extra for that...🤣

I am amazed at the number of people who will willingly say "the heck with the rules" to save a buck or two (or hundred).

It shows what we have devolved to as a society.

Maybe it's my upbringing and ingrained fear of the punishment should I get caught breaking the rules.  Maybe it's my long military career where it was our lifestyle to follow the rules.  But whatever it is, I just choose to follow the rules.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sharon_and_TC said:

I am amazed at the number of people who will willingly say "the heck with the rules" to save a buck or two (or hundred).

It shows what we have devolved to as a society.

Maybe it's my upbringing and ingrained fear of the punishment should I get caught breaking the rules.  Maybe it's my long military career where it was our lifestyle to follow the rules.  But whatever it is, I just choose to follow the rules.  

We break rules all the time. Please don't tell me you've never walked on the pool deck without flip flops on.