Niew Statendam Verandah Cabin Advice - Aft Facing Deck 6 or Spa Verandah Deck 10

Hello everyone! Just called HAL and shocked to find that club orange was still available for my June29 -July 10 sailing (copenhagen to reykajavik).  Now I need to select my upgraded room; I'm currently booked in a Verandah Stateroom.

in searching the available cabins, the best bang for the buck (i.e. most expensive rooms in the category) are either a Verandah Spa Stateroom on Deck 10 (quite a few available) OR an aft-facing stateroom on deck 6 (only one - cabin 6212). 

any experience staying in either of these? It seems very appealing to sit on the verandah on the back of the ship but i'm also thinking that the Panorama Deck 10 by the spa would be nice and quiet...and i did splurge on a week pass to the thermal suite so that would be convenient.

also available on deck 8 and 7 are a few of the staterooms on the "bump-out" so the room has a little extra space on the inside (8136, 7134).

Thanks for any advice!  now i only wish i had originally paid for an obstructed verandah but hey...it's all good!

I can't think of anything better than an aft facing stateroom.  I would take Deck 6 aft in a nano second.  The fact that there are so many Deck 10 Spa staterooms available is an indication of how desirable these staterooms are.  Being at the front of ship, to me, means more wind on the verandah.  We don't mind the walk from the aft to the Thermal Suite.  JMO. Cherie

• Like 3

I would jump on that deck 6 aft cabin. The wake views are fabulous!!

Since you don't get any actual spa perks, IMO the spa on 10 is not worth it. I've stayed in one and loved it because of the proximity to the Crow's Nest (hence great coffee just a few steps away) and to the spa (I had a Thermalpass that I used 2x/day) but nothing beats a true aft wake view.

• Like 1

Thank you so very much Cheri and Haljo!! Great points all around. I was pretty surprised to see that aft cabin available.

I called HAL and secured it - SOOOO excited!  Truly appreciate your thoughts!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ManaStock said:

Thank you so very much Cheri and Haljo!! Great points all around. I was pretty surprised to see that aft cabin available.

I called HAL and secured it - SOOOO excited!  Truly appreciate your thoughts!

Congrats and job well done! It was probably a very recent cancelation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Despised our aft. Horrible vibrations & shuddering meant very little sleep & the never-changing was view of the wake was as boring as watching a front load washer

Edited by MogeyMan
  • Haha 1

I always book an aft if available.  I prefer the upper decks.  I was in an aft cabin on the NS in March with a friend who had never sailed in one.  She loved it and felt the view of both sides of the ship was incredible and enjoyed sitting on the verandah when we were sailing.  Another convert.

• Like 3

i spent 3 weeks in an aft cabin on deck 5 (5208) of the NS.  Loved the views and was mesmerized by the wake.  There was some vibration, but it wasn't a problem for us.  Also enjoyed the Club Orange dining room, especially at breakfast time. 

On 5/21/2024 at 7:42 PM, 0106 said:

I always book an aft if available...She loved it and felt the view of both sides of the ship was incredible...

This is exactly why we prefer aft cabins, especially in places like AK.

Another bonus is being more shielded from the wind.

• Like 1