Pre-cruise hotel package

Posted (edited)

This may seem like a rather silly question, but I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding an answer.

Leading up to our departure from Civitavecchia we've booked with Norwegian a one-night pre-cruise hotel stay in Rome "including transfers." The itinerary we received specifically mentions bus from hotel to port, but there's no mention of transfer from airport to hotel. I'd assumed that was included, but is it actually?

Best policy would, of course, be to ask Norwegian directly. After an interminable length of time on hold I gave up. Chat function on line said all agents were busy. Does anybody here have experience?

Many thanks!

Edited by Mehroswitha
typo

19 hours ago, Mehroswitha said:

This may seem like a rather silly question, but I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding an answer.

Leading up to our departure from Civitavecchia we've booked with Norwegian a one-night pre-cruise hotel stay in Rome "including transfers." The itinerary we received specifically mentions bus from hotel to port, but there's no mention of transfer from airport to hotel. I'd assumed that was included, but is it actually?

Best policy would, of course, be to ask Norwegian directly. After an interminable length of time on hold I gave up. Chat function on line said all agents were busy. Does anybody here have experience?

Many thanks!

I just looked up the hotel stay in Rome on the NCL site for add-ons. This is what they present:

Package includes:
Room and room tax (City Tax)
Bellman gratuities
Breakfast
Transfers between Hotel and Pier

This clearly indicates only the transfer to the port.

I would not have expected them to include airport transfers unless you have  booked NCL air.

By all means, double check on this.

I'm guessing you did not use a TA to book. How about an NCL agent? Did they "personally" email you at any time? If so, message them back with your inquiry. Otherwise, call again - preferably not on a weekend or other probably busy time.

Thanks, Cruiser! You're clearly better at navigating the NCL site than I am--I wasn't able to find that information.

I called again this morning and got through reasonably quickly to an agent who didn't seem to know even as much about the package as I did and wasn't particularly interested in trying to find out. Eventually I got to speak with a supervisor, who politely and clearly explained pretty much what you found. Not the answer I had hoped for, but I'm glad to have clarity. What surprised me, though, was that it is not possible to purchase the airport-to-hotel transfer unless one books air through NCL.

It may all work out for the best, though: The hotel's Web site indicates they offer an airport shuttle! I plan to check that out--and suspect it might turn out to be more economical than HAL's transfer, which my friends (who did book air through NCL) subsequently purchased.

(No, I didn't use a TA--booked directly through NCL. No "personal" email from the agent I booked with so I couldn't message them back.)

3 hours ago, Mehroswitha said:

It may all work out for the best, though: The hotel's Web site indicates they offer an airport shuttle! I plan to check that out--and suspect it might turn out to be more economical than HAL's transfer, which my friends (who did book air through NCL) subsequently purchased.

IIRC a taxi from the airport into the city center has a fixed fare of 50E.  .

yes, it is still 50E, so getting a cab from the taxi line at FCO is a pretty easy option.

How to get a taxi in Rome and which number to call - Romeing

The only time NCL offers airport to hotel transfers is if you are on a Land Cruise Tour with them, then it will specifically state Airport to Hotel transfers. Unfortunately NCL is one of the few cruise lines that does not include these transfers when you book the pre/post cruise hotel with them. As I mentioned the only exception is their Cruise Tour. Depending on when you are flying in you may want to consider the 2 night Pre Cruise NCL is offering.

3 Days / 2 Nights Pre-Cruise Tour Rome & Etruria

Immerse yourself in the magical city of Rome. Learn about its rich history and breathtaking architecture from magnificent churches to ancient Roman ruins. During this tour, you will admire the main highlights of this fabulous city.

Rome Cruisetours available on Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Prima and Norwegian Viva.

• 2 nights hotel stay with breakfast
  • Airport to hotel transfer
  • Colosseum
  • Venice square
  • Trevi fountain
  • St. Peter's Basilica
  • Necropolis
  • Wine testing

Guests arranging their own flights must fly into Leonardo da Vinci Fiumicino Airport (FCO) the start of this program.

12 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Good old NCL. What is wine "testing"? You ask the wine questions to see how smart it is?

My guess NCL did not proof read this  😄