4th and forward on QM2 — newbie question

MDAccount

Just booked our first ever Cunard cruise (and only second cruise ever). We’re doing a transatlantic crossing in mid-October.

We’ve been assigned cabin 4018, which looks to be above the planetarium. Does anyone know how much noise we’re likely to get? We’re early to bed people, so if the shows are late and loud, the next question is whether it’s possible to ask for something different?

Posted (edited)

Besides being the Planetarium, it is also the Illuminations Theater where there are lectures and the On Board Movies.

Most likely the Movies will be shown in the Evenings.

Never attended the Movies so can't tell you how loud the volume is while being played.

The Planetarium is shown in the Mid Afternoon.

Maybe others have experienced cabins in that vicinity.

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

As BklynBoy8 pointed out, at night movies are shown in Illuminations. We've been to a few and the volume is what you'd expect in a movie theatre. We've never had a cabin quite that close to the theatre, but from what I've heard when walking in the vicinity, I doubt very much that your sleep will be disturbed. Again, as BklynBoy8 wrote, someone who's had a cabin near yours may be able to give you more helpful advice.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MDAccount said:

possible to ask for something different?

Look at the deck plans online.  Find what category your cabin is. You can switch to any cabin in the same category at no charge as all of them are the same price. You can change to a higher category by agreeing to pay the up charge. I have a great Cunard Vacation planer and I hope you do as well. But even if not just calling Cunard should suffice. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

It may be a Saver fare, in which case it's not supposed to be changed to another stateroom. But I guess you can ask and see what happens.

I don't have experience of a deck 4 in that area, but I have been in 4219 which is directly above G32, the night club. I could only slightly make out some noise from that, and it was less than the combination of air conditioning and the ship's other noise sources (sea, propulsion system, wind). It wasn't enough to disrupt my sleep and the G32 - unlike Illuminations - keeps going to the early hours (apparently!). So I would be OK with stateroom 4018. The last movie is typically 22:00 hrs.

• Like 1

@MDAccount - we were in 4018 for the World Cruise this year, we didn’t experience any noise issues whatsoever. We have 2 more long QM2 cruises booked over the course of the next couple of years - in 4020 and 4022 (4018 was already booked!) - wouldn’t have booked them if there was a problem in that location!
Settle back and enjoy your TA.

• Like 2