Church dress code

nadeki

Next month we are traveling through Italy, France and Spain. 

almost every day has a cathedral or Vatican in the your day. 

I have all the notes to cover shoulders and knees. 

can women wear dresses at knee length ?

I don’t want to be turned away. 

if a person wore pantyhose is that a covering ?

all suggestions appreciated 

A knee length dress or skirt will be fine.  I have seen them enforce the knee covering in some places (Santa Maria Maggiore, for example) but that was with teenage girls wearing short-shorts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, steamboats said:

I haven´t seen anyone being strict about the knees for quite a time in Italy. Shoulders you can cover with a leight weight scarf.

steamboats

5 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

A knee length dress or skirt will be fine.  I have seen them enforce the knee covering in some places (Santa Maria Maggiore, for example) but that was with teenage girls wearing short-shorts.

Thank you 

Most churches don't have the resources to enforce the rules the way that papal basilicas do, so it comes down to your own personal conscience.  You can likely get away with pretty much anything if that's the standard of behavior you aspire to.

• Like 4

On 5/27/2024 at 2:14 PM, euro cruiser said:

Most churches don't have the resources to enforce the rules the way that papal basilicas do, so it comes down to your own personal conscience.  You can likely get away with pretty much anything if that's the standard of behavior you aspire to.

We definitely do not want to go that. We are trying to error on the side of extra caution and respect. 

I have been worried about wearing dresses and knees accidentally showing. 

15 hours ago, nadeki said:

I have been worried about wearing dresses and knees accidentally showing. 

This is definitely nothing you need to worry about. As euro cruiser mentioned extra short shorts which are usually worn by teenagers might cause problems. Maybe extra short dresses or belly free attires.

steamboats

Hello:

If there is an entrance fee to visit a temple, clothing will be checked for sure (when they ask for your ticket they will easily check it).

Keep in mind that they are temples and that, during the visits, there may be people who have come for religious reasons.

The general rule is that neither the shoulders nor the knees are visible. And of course, nothing in between. For example, a T-shirt that shows part of the back or belly and navel, or...

With the "knees" they are quite lax. The most common thing is that they allow you to wear shorts that reach just to the knees. Above there they wouldn't let you. That is, the entire thigh is covered.

With the "shoulders" they are very blunt. No tank tops. They do allow short sleeve t-shirts, for example.

When I'm on vacation I usually wear shorts just below the knee, short-sleeved t-shirts, and sandals. They have never told me anything.

To get an idea....

this is supposed to be wearable

Pantalones Cortos Cargo Cómodos Casuales Hombres Ropa Verano - Temu Spain

and this is not wearable on churches

pantalones cortos mujer

• Like 1

Hello:

I have reviewed the visiting rules in many cathedrals in Spain and some in Italy.

In those of Spain I have seen that they only indicate that you have to dress "with decorum" or in an "appropriate manner", without specifying more.
In the cathedral of Florence (Italy) they clarify that they do not allow short pants or skirts above the knee.

Now, some very important rules that all cathedrals emphasize and sometimes forget (remember that it is a sacred temple, not a museum)
- enter without anything in your hair. It doesn't matter if it's a cap, a hat, a small cap or a scarf. Take it off when entering
- enter without sunglasses. Taking into account that it is indoors and there may be some darkness, it may seem strange and despite everything there are people who enter with sunglasses
- do not eat nor drink. And they don't talk about a sandwich but even about candy or gum.
- do not talk on the phone. Have it completely silent or turned off

The host is a religious authority who will be much more bothered by the fact that people are eating gum, drinking something, the sounds of WhatsApp (and I'm not saying talking on the phone anymore) and of course that they are wearing sunglasses or a cap... ...that the length of the pants above the knee