Not really a Viking Air question

rnrcruzin

We're giving Viking Air another chance as our last time was into Sydney and things didn't go as expected. We're flying into LHR arriving on June 14th. We are arriving a little after 7 AM. I know we are supposed to be greeted by a Viking Rep. (this is where things fell apart in Sydney) and transferred to Greenwich. For those that have gone through this goat rope before, will we be sitting on the bus waiting for it to fill with folks on later flights, or will we be sent directly to the ship? In Sydney some folks went and sat in a conference room of a hotel and then transferred to the ship. Just wondering what to expect.

50 minutes ago, rnrcruzin said:

We're giving Viking Air another chance as our last time was into Sydney and things didn't go as expected. We're flying into LHR arriving on June 14th. We are arriving a little after 7 AM. I know we are supposed to be greeted by a Viking Rep. (this is where things fell apart in Sydney) and transferred to Greenwich. For those that have gone through this goat rope before, will we be sitting on the bus waiting for it to fill with folks on later flights, or will we be sent directly to the ship? In Sydney some folks went and sat in a conference room of a hotel and then transferred to the ship. Just wondering what to expect.

This is our personal experience but it may depend on the airport and distance from the ship.

We have never waited long to be transferred, and in that I mean that we have never waited more than about 20 minutes after getting our luggage until we were taken to the bus and transported.

I suppose that there can always be delays but in 10 cruises we have never had that happen.

Posted (edited)

Agree with above, we’ve never waited for a bus to fill. Rather, on our last trip, we were put in a small van with a driver to transport us to the hotel for our extension. 

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 1

We’ve been taken to a hotel holding room when arriving on an early flight on day of embarkation. It was Hong Kong, and we were there no more than two hours. Tea, coffee, & cookies were available, but no breakfast (arrived around 6:30 am local time). It wasn’t bad, but would have been nice to have a few more amenities, as well as being told how long we would be expected to wait (which we weren’t). We also had to schlep our own luggage to a holding area a ways away from the conference/meeting room. Then, when ready to go to the buses, we had to move our luggage through a couple of hallways to the parking area.

Greenwich has some challenges. We boarded there just a few weeks ago.

-- There is no cruise terminal to hold guests prior to boarding. In prior years, check in was in a tent. This season they have a small area inside the Old Naval College for check in, right by the Cutty Sark.  While waiting for check in to open, we lined up outside the building. We had arrived independently from our hotel and were among the first people checked in. Check in began around 10am. 

-- From check in we are tendered to the ship. We sat on the tender waiting for it to fill, at least 20 minutes (and possibly waiting for an all clear from the ship that they were ready to begin boarding).

-- At rush hour, it is a long ride from Heathrow. There were not a lot of folks flooding through the Viking banners or standing in line for check in when we arrived shortly before 10am. 

I did not talk to anyone who arrived on the Viking transfers, so I have  no idea how things worked with the transfers themselves. However, I did get the impression that the transfer buses had not yet begun to arrive as we walked in and got in line.

As they typically don’t plan to start boarding until 11:00 it is likely you will be waiting somewhere. As was mentioned this typically will be in a hotel somewhere

We had an awful transfer from LHR to Greenwich in June 2022.  We arrived mid afternoon and had to wait in the terminal for a late flight before boarding the transfer bus.  Then it took 4 hours to get from LHR to the ship, as there were accidents, roadworks and Friday rush hour to contend with.  We got to our cabin about 8pm, exhausted, hungry and in need of toilets.  We’d only come from Manchester UK.  That’s the M25 for you!  Not Viking’s fault.  

When we disembarked in Greenwich after a month on board,  BA had cancelled our return flight.  Viking had 3 alternatives, for us: an earlier crack of dawn, a very late one or a mid morning flight from Gatwick which we opted for.  They gave us a private limo transfer to the airport which was considerably less time than the arrival transfer.  

20 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

We had an awful transfer from LHR to Greenwich in June 2022.  We arrived mid afternoon and had to wait in the terminal for a late flight before boarding the transfer bus.  Then it took 4 hours to get from LHR to the ship, as there were accidents, roadworks and Friday rush hour to contend with.  We got to our cabin about 8pm, exhausted, hungry and in need of toilets.  We’d only come from Manchester UK.  That’s the M25 for you!  Not Viking’s fault.  

When we disembarked in Greenwich after a month on board,  BA had cancelled our return flight.  Viking had 3 alternatives, for us: an earlier crack of dawn, a very late one or a mid morning flight from Gatwick which we opted for.  They gave us a private limo transfer to the airport which was considerably less time than the arrival transfer.  

Was this your journey from LHR to Tilbury?

I have been concerned about this.  We have a cruise booked for early 2026 and we are flying into LHR but boarding in Tilbury.

Since we are flying from Canada, we will likely arrive between 6:30am and 10:00am local London time on a Saturday.  I would. hope that this transfer mid-day on a Saturday would be better than. your experience?

My experience getting to Tilbury in January was positive.  If you are comfortable traveling on the underground it is fairly simple, but you will have to do some walking.  I stayed in London a week prior to my cruise.  Fenchurch was a simple walk to from my hotel with  google map nav.  Tap in at the gate, street level, tap out at Grays.  Ramp down to taxi line.  Taxi took cash only, i didn't  bother seeking one that took plastic 15pound.  No waiting or delay.  Train was uncrowded.  Elizabeth Line from LHR to Liverpool St. Then walk to Fenchurch if you are able. 

Elizabeth Line to Canary Wharf (Abbey Wood branch) then walk to the to DLR for a few stops south to cutty sark is also simple if you are comfortable with public transportation.  Certainly a nicer experience than sitting in traffic 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

My experience getting to Tilbury in January was positive.  If you are comfortable traveling on the underground it is fairly simple, but you will have to do some walking.  I stayed in London a week prior to my cruise.  Fenchurch was a simple walk to from my hotel with  google map nav.  Tap in at the gate, street level, tap out at Grays.  Ramp down to taxi line.  Taxi took cash only, i didn't  bother seeking one that took plastic 15pound.  No waiting or delay.  Train was uncrowded.  Elizabeth Line from LHR to Liverpool St. Then walk to Fenchurch if you are able. 

Elizabeth Line to Canary Wharf (Abbey Wood branch) then walk to the to DLR for a few stops south to cutty sark is also simple if you are comfortable with public transportation.  Certainly a nicer experience than sitting in traffic 

Thanks!  Certainly something to consider.  I don't mind, or actually enjoy, taking public transit in other countries.  Like the experience.  The London Tube can be at times difficult with large checked bag, and a carryon, and a shoulder bag each.

Just did a Google map and it certainly looks doable, especially on a Saturday morning.  I know my Husband will say let's take a cab however.

We have not decided if we are going to do a couple days in advance in London yet.  We may even do Viking's pre-package which then would include transfers.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

The London Tube can be at times difficult

If you are going direct from Heathrow to Grays/Tilbury on a Saturday*, you wouldn't use the tube.  Take the Elizabeth line to Stratford and change there (same platform) for the c2c train to Grays.  These are "full size", air conditioned, trains.  They're nothing like the cramped conditions of the Piccadilly line.

* The day of the week is important.  The option for the same platform change at Stratford is only possible at the weekend.  Weekday c2c trains don't stop at Stratford.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I do have to agree with hubby. If you have more than one rolling bag and one back pack per person, hire a four-wheeled vehicle to get you to Tilbury, either Uber or a limo/hire car, being cheaper than a taxi. 

Using public transit, you want to have a hand free to deal with fares, elevator buttons, handrailings, etc. 

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1