Sirena NY to Miami this November

Mags65

My husband and I are thinking of taking this 15 night cruise with stops in Bermuda and the Caribbean, leaving NYC on Nov 19.  I am surprised that this cruise has so much availability still, as it seems that other Oceania cruises book up so far in advance. Does anyone have an idea of why that would be? Is there something going on with this cruise that I should be thinking about?

Not that I know offer, however we are on Insignia, NY to Aruba, 14 nights, Nov. 8th and this cruise also still has many available cabins. We booked it Aug. 2022 when OLife was still available. For us, it’s the perfect cruise because we frequently travel to Aruba. We will spend a few days at our favorite resort before flying home. In addition, we also enjoy going through customs in Aruba, instead of JFK airport. 

2 hours ago, Mags65 said:

My husband and I are thinking of taking this 15 night cruise with stops in Bermuda and the Caribbean, leaving NYC on Nov 19.  I am surprised that this cruise has so much availability still, as it seems that other Oceania cruises book up so far in advance. Does anyone have an idea of why that would be? Is there something going on with this cruise that I should be thinking about?

While the Caribbean “milk runs” are still profitable for O (and Vista has added cabin availability in that region), the reality remains that there are far more interesting and unusual “exotic” and “tropical” destinations than what has become a Walmart parking lot for floating amusement parks.

I think that you’ll find that many O regulars are opting for other Oceans and longer cruises (e.g., partial/full transpacifics and/or the Indian Ocean). I know that we long ago swore off the Caribbean (and Florida) unless it’s a necessary part of an otherwise enticing itinerary like doing the Amazon or an unusual transatlantic.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mags65 said:

Possibly because over Thanksgiving? Some people would not prefer to be gone over the holiday perhaps, especially since a few were lost during Covid.  Now I know some love to travel during the holidays with multiple generations, but that doesn’t seem to be the type of travelers that cruise on Oceania for the most part.  I know we had a cruise booked over Thanksgiving this coming year and we decided not to because of another lost chance for a family holiday, and let’s face it they are dwindling as we all age.  Instead we ended up booking a cruise where we will be back before the holidays. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1

Maybe because it will probably be cold in NY in November and the first day going south?  Temps in Bermuda will also be cooler and many attractions may be closed. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, richardbohn said:

...we frequently travel to Aruba. We will spend a few days at our favorite resort before flying home.

While there, try to visit the donkey sanctuary.  Pet and feed the animals...and, by all means, leave a donation.  It's a magical place filled with the goofiest, kindest and safest-from-traffic four-footers you'll ever meet.  Another "meet & mingle" just like on the ship but minus the cheap champagne!

Stop at the store to pick up some carrots and apples; you'll have the residents eating out of your hand.

Edited by DrHemlock

We have booked a cruise departing Thanksgiving weekend 2025. The return cruise will be over Christmas. Each cruise is 1000$ less than the same cruise in January and February 2026. My guess is that to attract people over major such holidays the company (Viking in our case) must give passengers something.

I hope that your preferred cruise will respond in some way to recognize the same fact.

5 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Possibly because over Thanksgiving? Some people would not prefer to be gone over the holiday perhaps, especially since a few were lost during Covid.  Now I know some love to travel during the holidays with multiple generations, but that doesn’t seem to be the type of travelers that cruise on Oceania for the most part.  I know we had a cruise booked over Thanksgiving this coming year and we decided not to because of another lost chance for a family holiday, and let’s face it they are dwindling as we all age.  Instead we ended up booking a cruise where we will be back before the holidays. 

We did our first cruise ever on Riviera 12/13-23/21 in the W. Caribbean and our very 2nd on Sirena 11/19-29/22 in the E. Caribbean. That included Thanksgiving. Both 10 nights. The first one during COVID only had 719 passengers (out of 1250) but the 2nd had over 630 (out of 650). Having done both "halves" of the Caribbean, we have no interest to go back. Just too much sameness. So we did 20 nights on Riviera in the Med 10-11/2023 and will do 22 nights in the Baltic on Sirena (8-9/2024).

IF we cruise again, I want either E. Africa & Madagascar or the non-Spanish nations of S. America on the north coast (Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana).

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

non-Spanish nations of S. America on the north coast (Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana).

I'm fairly sure you won't be on Oceania. Do any cruise lines go there?

32 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm fairly sure you won't be on Oceania. Do any cruise lines go there?

O may include some of them on individual/mulyi-segments that are focused on the Miami to Amazon experience.

Looking at the itineraries for everything posted for that route I do see Devils Island, French Guiana. 

Thanks for all the input! Glad to know theres nothing overtly wrong here. Makes sense about the holidays and that perhaps other destinations are more interesting. We love taking the occasional holiday to ourselves! LOL And I really like the ease of getting to/from NY and Miami and the availability of an Owner's suite at such a late-ish date. First time on Oceania and really looking forward to it! 🙂

• Like 3