new to P&O… help please!

We would like to cruise on Aurora for its Norway itinerary. Several Questions...

!. are all deposits always nonrefundable?

2. I see mixed reviews on ship condition… is it really as bad as some say?

3. in the US we can only book with Vac.To.Go… can we use a UK agency?

4. any particular benefit to certain UK agencies?

thanks for your thoughts..

primarily a royal cruiser, but also sailed celebrity, ncl, princess and carnival

1. Deposits are not refundable (that's what insurance is for), if you book a Select Fare you can transfer it to a higher priced cruise. If you booked on a Saver Fare you lose it.

2. It is not a new ship by any stretch of the imagination, it needs constant ongoing maintenance and the fixtures and fittings are old fashioned but serviceable. (Who doesn't love a pink bathroom). If you go looking for faults you will find them.

3 & 4. It is my understanding that US residents can only book via the travel agent you mentioned, therefore there is no point in giving you info on UK travel agents (which is forbidden anyway on this forum). If you do a search there has been many threads on this subject.

• Like 1

Also bear in mind that the insurance requirements for P&O cruises are significantly different to those of American cruise lines as are the accessibility requirements (if they would apply)

• Like 2

On 6/29/2024 at 10:17 AM, FangedRose said:

1. Deposits are not refundable (that's what insurance is for), if you book a Select Fare you can transfer it to a higher priced cruise. If you booked on a Saver Fare you lose it.

2. It is not a new ship by any stretch of the imagination, it needs constant ongoing maintenance and the fixtures and fittings are old fashioned but serviceable. (Who doesn't love a pink bathroom). If you go looking for faults you will find them.

3 & 4. It is my understanding that US residents can only book via the travel agent you mentioned, therefore there is no point in giving you info on UK travel agents (which is forbidden anyway on this forum). If you do a search there has been many threads on this subject.

Thanks for the updates.  Sad to know we US citizens can’t get the same passenger upfront services… have to sign up for open seating meals not set dining times… can’t book select fares evidently for the transfer to higher priced cruise.  But we did book the cruise.  Hoping to enjoy the experience.

1 hour ago, want2go said:

Thanks for the updates.  Sad to know we US citizens can’t get the same passenger upfront services… have to sign up for open seating meals not set dining times… can’t book select fares evidently for the transfer to higher priced cruise.  But we did book the cruise.  Hoping to enjoy the experience.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, want2go said:

If you have booked a saver fare, then you would not have a choice of dining time or type (set or freedom), so just have to wait and see what you are allocated once on the ship.  That is different for Arvia and Iona as they only have freedom dining (the term used by P&O for what P&O call anytime or open dining).  Perhaps there was limited availability on the cruise you have booked, which explains not being able to book select fare.  Select fare will be more expensive, but allows you choose your cabin number as well as other advantages which can be seen on the website.  The ability to transfer to a higher priced cruise is only until about three months prior to a cruise, I think 90 days, once that time has passed, you cannot transfer your cruise on any fare rate.

Anyway happy you got the booking you wanted.

Edited by tring

18 hours ago, want2go said:

Hope you really enjoy your P&O cruise. If you cruise the American cruise lines you’ll probably find this a little different. More traditional cruising, no bells and whistles but I’m sure you knew that before you booked. 

24 minutes ago, cruisegal1970 said:

P&O is similar standard to Carnival, don't build up your hopes too high.

Best of Luck.......

Not at all on Aurora which is what the op is talking about. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 2:46 PM, want2go said:

We would like to cruise on Aurora for its Norway itinerary. Several Questions...

!. are all deposits always nonrefundable?

2. I see mixed reviews on ship condition… is it really as bad as some say?

3. in the US we can only book with Vac.To.Go… can we use a UK agency?

4. any particular benefit to certain UK agencies?

thanks for your thoughts..

primarily a royal cruiser, but also sailed celebrity, ncl, princess and carnival

Hi if you haven't already seen it please check out my "Aurora Virgins" thread on here. We have just returned from an amazing Fjords cruise on her (22nd June - 4th July). I'm happy to answer any questions about Aurora (if I can!) 

I really hope you enjoy your cruise experience. She really is a beautiful ship.

Julie

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, why are US residents unable to book directly through P&O?

I read the T&Cs from P&O's website and could find no nationality or residency requirements. We did book a cruise direct with P&O despite not being British or UK residents, and everything worked perfectly well for us. 

40 minutes ago, MyriamS said:

why are US residents unable to book directly through P&O?

If I was to make a guess I would think that it is to do with the rights that Americans have in law that allows them several things that are not available in the UK, such the right to price match if the price goes down after booking and fully refundable deposits.

• Like 1