Waikiki beach hotels

40-LOVE

1 minute ago, 40-LOVE said:

@cccole

Thank you.  I know you had preferred Moana in a previous post but it was a few years ago and I didn’t see it mentioned this time (maybe I missed it) so I just wanted to see if you still really liked it or if anything had changed. I am glad to hear that you still enjoy it. I have not checked out Kapiolani yet but will now. Thanks again for all the insights 😊

I didn't mention it because in a previous post you indicated that the rooms I love were not available.  You'll find something fabulous.  And, if you book something and find another hotel and/or rate you can always cancel.  I would make a reservation and keep checking for specials that may become available for the dates you are traveling.  I think the Queen Kapiolani is a good second choice.  Cherie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cccole said:

@DCwom - Is this the hotel that has the beautiful aquarium in the lobby?  An Outrigger property?  Cherie

Beachcomber by Outrigger. Yes, there was an aquarium, but I don't recall taking time to look at it. I think there are 4 Outriggers in Waikiki, we always told Ubers, etc, "Beachcomber", there was never any confusion about which Outrigger. We loved the Beachcomber, it was the right hotel for us pre cruise and as a base to tour Oahu post cruise, we never really spent much time on the Waikiki beach itself, other than walk it at night several times. 

• Thanks 1

@DCwomThere are several Outrigger properties.  So happy that you walked Waikiki beach at night.  It's so beautiful and sometimes there is wonderful music coming from the hotels, or you can stop for a beverage.  Good post to let others know about the Beachcomber.  Cherie 

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 9:50 PM, 40-LOVE said:

You have me sold on the RH, however, when I went to book, for an ocean view room it is over budget due to the $775 extra person fee for 3 people.  What would be your next best choices? Thanks so much

You need to look at some of the reviews on RH on Tripadvisor..... It's not the same since Marriott took it over and especially after Covid. They no longer have room service and especially if you're looking at a basic room, you can find better deals elsewhere.

Edited by STLCARDS82
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, STLCARDS82 said:

It's not the same since Marriott took it over and especially after Covid.

It's been under Sheraton/Starwood/Marriott's management since 1959. One of the major attractions for us is that it's in the Marriott Bonvoy program-- we use points sometimes rather than pay full freight. 

Not been our experience after many stays both before and after covid. It's not a 5 star hotel like Halekulani (and doesn't pretend to be) but it is a solid 4 star that has extremely unique architecture, comfortable rooms, great beach services, and most importantly one of the best locations on Waikiki. 

Room service is not offered at the Moana Surfrider or Sheraton either. It is a Halekulani. The Hilton Hawaiian Village doesn't have room service but they will deliver food from the outlets like Doordash so not really the same. The Ritz Residences does have room service but its location is poor. I don't know if I would use room service as the yardstick here. 

• Like 1

We really enjoyed the Voyager 47 Club Oceanfront Room at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort. Beautiful room, great pool, Dukes and Hula Grill, private club with food and cocktails, breakfast and right on the beach. Was a great price when you consider all that was included. Catamaran also leaves right off the beach in front of the hotel.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2024 at 7:50 PM, 40-LOVE said:

You have me sold on the RH, however, when I went to book, for an ocean view room it is over budget due to the $775 extra person fee for 3 people.  What would be your next best choices? Thanks so much

No view, but when I stay at the Royal Hawaiian, I get an Historic Garden Suite. The rooms are big, the area quiet and you can hear morning doves cooing when you wake up in the morning.

https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/rooms-overview/historic-wing/

On 7/12/2024 at 8:06 PM, 40-LOVE said:

@cccole what other hotels would you recommend outside of Hyatt Regency? Any thoughts on Moana Surfrider? Thanks so much for all your insight.  So very helpful.

The Moana is a great old hotel, but the Surfrider Tower has its lanais (balconies) closed currently because one of the lanai railings collapsed. I have not heard of a date for the lani reopening.

On 7/13/2024 at 4:24 PM, DCwom said:

Beachcomber by Outrigger. Yes, there was an aquarium, but I don't recall taking time to look at it. 

If you are talking about the hotel with the giant aquarium with a restaurant next to it, that is the ‘Alohilani Resort formerly known as the Pacific Beach Resort.

ARWB_O-Bar-and-Oceanarium-Seating.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

The Moana is a great old hotel, but the Surfrider Tower has its lanais (balconies) closed currently because one of the lanai railings collapsed. I have not heard of a date for the lani reopening."

This is true about the balconies in the Tower Wing but there are balconies in some of the ocean view rooms in the Historic Banyan Wing, and balconies in ocean front Diamond Wing rooms.  City facing rooms in the Historic Banyan do not have balconies as far as I know, I and do not know if there are balconies in city facing rooms in the Diamond Wing.  If you don't stay here it is also fun to sit in the rocking chairs and watch the world go by.  JMO. Cherie   

Enjoying this thread. We are staying at the Royal Hawaiian

pre-cruise in August. In 2022 we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Waikiki. Perfectly adequate hotel within walking distance of everything. Good price point and excellent free breakfast. But we had lunch at the Royal Hawaiian on the patio watching surfers on Waikiki beach while having a fabulous poke bowl and Mai Tai and after experiencing the vibe decided we had to stay here. Booked a garden view room in the historic building. Figured we’d spend day lounging on beach and could forego ocean view or balcony. We considered visiting the Polynesian Center the day before our cruise but decided to just chill and enjoy Waikiki beach at this fabulous hotel! 🏖😎

• Like 3

On 7/20/2024 at 7:34 PM, philv said:

Booked a garden view room in the historic building. Figured we’d spend day lounging on beach and could forego ocean view or balcony.

If you have even Silver or Gold status with Bonvoy they tend to be pretty generous with upgrades from Garden View. We had friends that were Silver (entry level elite status) and they were upgraded to a partial ocean view. Silver and Gold area easy to get automatically from several major credit cards as benefits so look to try and upgrade your status ahead of time if you don't have them already. 

Platinum and Titanium status they will upgrade you from Garden View to actual large suites. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

If you have even Silver or Gold status with Bonvoy they tend to be pretty generous with upgrades from Garden View. We had friends that were Silver (entry level elite status) and they were upgraded to a partial ocean view. Silver and Gold area easy to get automatically from several major credit cards as benefits so look to try and upgrade your status ahead of time if you don't have them already. 

Platinum and Titanium status they will upgrade you from Garden View to actual large suites. 

Do I have to ask for upgrade or will they offer upon arrival?

20 minutes ago, 40-LOVE said:

If its through Bonvoy it's usually automatic if you're getting one-- you can always ask though. The upgrade is technically not part of Silver but it is a benefit of Gold.

The Royal Hawaiian is also part of American Express' Fine Hotels and Resorts so if you have a Platinum or Centurion card you can get the benefits of an upgrade, $100 F&B credit, free breakfast each morning, and a guaranteed 4pm checkout. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 40-LOVE said:

A room upgrade is not guaranteed, even with all of the status mentioned in other posts.  If you are traveling during a busy time of year to a resort hotel upgrades are not always available, and there may be many with higher status than you.  Make sure you book a room that you will be happy with if you do not get an upgrade.  Same as booking a cabin on a cruise ship.

I was recently at a resort hotel in Hawaii and there was a long list of qualified guests who wanted upgrades.  The most comical were the ones who stood at the front desk saying loud enough for everyone to hear "Do you know who I am?"  It took about 4 days for my upgrade and I'm sure some never got one.  Have a great time and after you make your reservation just keep checking availability and offers you might be interested in.  Cherie   

On 7/20/2024 at 7:34 PM, philv said:

We considered visiting the Polynesian Center the day before our cruise but decided to just chill and enjoy Waikiki beach at this fabulous hotel! 🏖😎

The PCC is definitely worth a visit, but I agree not the day before a cruise, if you get the luau package with the fire show (which I recommend), its a long day arriving back in Waikiki around 10:00 PM (or 4:00 AM if you just flew in from the east coast😴). BTW the bus transport is well worth it

@philv You'll have a great time on Waikiki.  You can reserve one of the beach set ups ahead of time.  This is really nice so you have your special spot during the day and you can reserve the location of your umbrella and chairs.  Lots of people, including me, have preferences on location.  Have a great time, Cherie

8 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

If you have even Silver or Gold status with Bonvoy they tend to be pretty generous with upgrades from Garden View. 

Thank you princeton123211. I am Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite. Would love to see upgrade. Do I just wait to see what happens at check in or is there anything I need to do in advance? 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, cccole said:

You can reserve one of the beach set ups ahead of time.  This is really nice so you have your special spot during the day and you can reserve the location of your umbrella and chairs.  

Thank you Cherie, Really looking forward to just chilling on beach watching the scene. Can you reserve beach set ups prior to check in? Any tips would be appreciated. 

Edited by philv

2 minutes ago, philv said:

Thank you Cherie, Really looking forward to just chilling on beach watching the scene. Can you reserve beach set ups prior to check in? Any tips would be appreciated. 

Yes you can. You go to the Royal Hawaiian website and there is a Pool and Beach Services selection.  Under that selection it will have pool and beach services.  Under Waikiki Beach it will have a selection for Beach Chaise Lounge & Umbrella Set and the availability to reserve ahead of time.  Also on the RH site you can reserve chairs and umbrella at the pool.   And, you might make reservations for dinner.  You can always cancel.  One of our favorite spots is Lulu's.  Have a great time.  Cherie 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cccole said:

Yes you can. You go to the Royal Hawaiian website and there is a Pool and Beach Services selection.  Under that selection it will have pool and beach services.  Under Waikiki Beach it will have a selection for Beach Chaise Lounge & Umbrella Set and the availability to reserve ahead of time.  Also on the RH site you can reserve chairs and umbrella at the pool.   And, you might make reservations for dinner.  You can always cancel.  One of our favorite spots is Lulu's.  Have a great time.  Cherie 

Does this mean you have to pay for pool chairs ?

6 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Does this mean you have to pay for pool chairs ?

You don't need to pay for pool chairs, just might need to get down there early to get some.  But, if you want to reserve chairs you can, both at the RH and the shared pool with the Sheraton.  I often do this at resorts just so I know I don't have to worry about beating the East Coast guests to the chairs I want.  Also, if you travel during a busy season, school breaks, there can be competition for chairs.  JMO. Cherie 

10 minutes ago, cccole said:

You don't need to pay for pool chairs, just might need to get down there early to get some.  But, if you want to reserve chairs you can, both at the RH and the shared pool with the Sheraton.  I often do this at resorts just so I know I don't have to worry about beating the East Coast guests to the chairs I want.  Also, if you travel during a busy season, school breaks, there can be competition for chairs.  JMO. Cherie 

Ok , thx .I took a quick look on the website and didn't see anywhere to reserve for pool or beach .Musta missed it I guess, But I did see somewhere that if your chairs are unattended for a time they will be taken.

I guess that's the benefit to paid reservation

Cheers

@LobsterStalker - Did you go to "Facilities" and scroll down to "Services"?  They say they take the unattended items away but it doesn't happen.  Guests will come down first thing in the morning, put towels and book or whatever on the chairs they want and then leave for 2-3 hours for breakfast.  Cherie 

3 hours ago, philv said:

Here is the website.

https://royalhawaiian.umbrella-finder.com/

The Umbrella and two lounge chairs is $70 a day and don't forget to tip the attendant who sets you up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Ok , thx .I took a quick look on the website and didn't see anywhere to reserve for pool or beach .Musta missed it I guess, But I did see somewhere that if your chairs are unattended for a time they will be taken.

I guess that's the benefit to paid reservation

You don't have to pay for pool chairs-- just for beach chairs and umbrellas reserved through the website. The pool chairs you can reserve and pay for are mini cabanas-- not true cabanas like you see at some resorts with a fridge, tv, etc-- these are basically slightly more secluded tents. 

The beach chairs can be worth it-- personally I never found the pool cabanas worth the cost. Because a lot of guests reserve beach chairs the smaller private pool at the Royal Hawaiian is generally never overly crowded-- we've never had more than a 5 minute wait to get two chairs together. The larger Sheraton resort pool however can be a bit of a zoo if its busy. 

• Like 1