Cancellation Fee "begin date".....pay close attention when booking!

I was going to cancel a booking and move the deposit to another sailing but to my surprise I was told it's nonrefundable.  So I went back and looked at the booking confirmation and yes I misunderstood, I did not notice the cancellation fee "begin date" was the date I booked.  Going to have to pay closer attention from now on.  Had I known this or had the website been more clear and up front, I would have never put down that large a deposit that was nonrefundable.  I'm still not sure I will be going on this sailing, I told her to keep it booked for now, either way I'm now out $875.

So pay close attention folks.  Because I could have sworn back in the day the nonrefundable deposit information was more clearly stated, now it's worded in a way that could very easily be overlooked by anyone new to cruising, I've been on dozens of cruises and I even overlooked it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We were able to move a nonrefundable deposit to another cruise. I was told it would be allowed once. This was 2 years ago so that policy may have changed. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

We were able to move a nonrefundable deposit to another cruise. I was told it would be allowed once. This was 2 years ago so that policy may have changed. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

That was what I was hoping and I might reach out to my PCC and see if she could help.  I could understand the strict forfeiture policy if it was an outright cancellation.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, atexsix said:

That was what I was hoping and I might reach out to my PCC and see if she could help.  I could understand the strict forfeiture policy if it was an outright cancellation.  

I hope it works for you 🤞

1 minute ago, Sea42 said:

So do I, but it's not the end of the world, I have two other cruises booked around the same time period, so it's just a matter of picking one. 

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

It would be nice of HAL, but they offer a lower fare with the non-refundable deposit so they can’t really be expected to give everyone a free option on that fare. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, atexsix said:

So do I, but it's not the end of the world, I have two other cruises booked around the same time period, so it's just a matter of picking one. 

I have had them do it and also had them say no.

I find you have a better chance of them agreeing if ypu have a cruise picked out when you call and it is not near full, ie there are a lot of cabins available. 

Good luck!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 2

As a rookie cruiser, about 18-months ago  I was able to transfer a non-refundable deposit to a different cruise, but the fare for the new cruise needed to be equal to or greater than the fare for the original cruise.  I tried again about 15-months ago and the HAL agent said their new policy was to no longer allow transfers.  I called again, with a different agent on the line, and was told the same thing.  We lost $600 when we cancelled.  On subsequent bookings on HAL, I have always called and asked for the Advantage Fare, where the deposit is refundable.   

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TAW1963 said:

As a rookie cruiser, about 18-months ago  I was able to transfer a non-refundable deposit to a different cruise, but the fare for the new cruise needed to be equal to or greater than the fare for the original cruise.  I tried again about 15-months ago and the HAL agent said their new policy was to no longer allow transfers.  I called again, with a different agent on the line, and was told the same thing.  We lost $600 when we cancelled.  On subsequent bookings on HAL, I have always called and asked for the Advantage Fare, where the deposit is refundable.   

I guess all we can hope for is a downward trend in bookings when they loosen up these policies, not that I'd hope for a bad economy, but we must admit it's way better for us cruisers when the economic winds are blowing in a certain direction. 

On 7/11/2024 at 1:56 PM, SeaMatesNYC said:

It would be nice of HAL, but they offer a lower fare with the non-refundable deposit so they can’t really be expected to give everyone a free option on that fare. 

A friend told me to think of the lost deposit as "gifting" to HAL for all the nice vacations they provided over the years....🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 3:22 PM, atexsix said:

I was going to cancel a booking and move the deposit to another sailing but to my surprise I was told it's nonrefundable.  So I went back and looked at the booking confirmation and yes I misunderstood, I did not notice the cancellation fee "begin date" was the date I booked.  Going to have to pay closer attention from now on.  Had I known this or had the website been more clear and up front, I would have never put down that large a deposit that was nonrefundable.  I'm still not sure I will be going on this sailing, I told her to keep it booked for now, either way I'm now out $875.

So pay close attention folks.  Because I could have sworn back in the day the nonrefundable deposit information was more clearly stated, now it's worded in a way that could very easily be overlooked by anyone new to cruising, I've been on dozens of cruises and I even overlooked it. 

It's happened to me

On 7/11/2024 at 3:35 PM, Sea42 said:

They moved it for me as well but I was told the last time they no longer do that.