Kyoto possible to

woodley

We are in port from 8am -11pm.  I was planning on doing a ship tour to Kyoto from Kobe but it has sold out....I was too slow.  I have looked at getting a taxi from the port then a train to Kyoto.  This seems like it would be quite easy to do.  Does anyone know how easy it would be to see the sights in kyoto using public transport or taxi's or if I would be better getting a guide there.  I am just not sure how close things are.  Just wanting to maximise my time there.

My other dilemma is Osaka I only have one day and have never been there or Kobe.  Of the two places which would be the best for me to spend my day or should I go with my original plan to spend the day in Kyoto.  Opinions please.

There are many different sites around Kyoto, and the answer to your question would depend on where you want to go and the actual itinerary.  Last year we spent a pre-cruise week in Kyoto and managed to see just about all the well-known (and some lesser known) sites by using local buses.  Having a local guide would certainly make your task somewhat easier in that you would not need to do pre-cruise homework.  Kyoto also has plenty of taxis and Uber (which are actually supplied by a local taxi company).  DW and I are avid walkers, so we were able to do quite a lot by simply using our feet.  But some of the sites are far-flung and do require some kind of transport, be it bus or taxi.  There is also a subway/metro system which can be used for some transport, but we found the bus lines were generally better for getting closer to our target destinations.

Hank

If your ship will dock at Kobe Port Terminal, 2 ways to travel from Kobe cruise terminal to Kyoto station.

1. Taxi to Shin-Kobe station in 12 min (fare ¥1500). Ride the Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen (bullet train) to Kyoto station in 29 min,    fare range from ¥2870 to ¥3930 (non-reserve to reserved seat), freq 10-15 min.

2. Ride the Metro Portliner from Port Terminal station to Sannomiya Station in 7 min, fare ¥210. From Sannomiya Station take Tokaido-Sanyo Line to Kyoto station in 55 min, freq 4/hr. fare ¥1,110.

Most Kyoto attractions opening between 9am - 5pm except only Arashiyama Bamboo Forest and Fushimi-Inari are open 24 hours and no admission fee.

Kyoto is over tourism, city is proposing two-tier for tourist: higher admission fee and restaurant dinner charge. If you stay in Kyoto 4-5 days, you can cover most of the tourist attractions in a leisure way, the best time visit is either in Match (cherry blossom) and in November (fall foliage). 

If you're planning visit Kyoto in a day and first time in Japan, you need to desire what you like to see. Kinkaku-ji (Golden temple) is 45 min. bus ride from Kyoto station, if take the metro and bus transfer is 30 min, or taxi transfer is 20 min. It's a photo session for that place. The Bamboo Forest is more greenish during spring time, from Kyoto station take San-in Line from to Saga-Arashiyama Station in 23 min, fare ¥240, then follow the signage (English) walk 10 min to the forest. Fushimi Inari Taisha is 5 min train ride from Kyoto station to Inari Station on Nara-Line, fare ¥150. My personal suggested itinerary (Gion): From Kyoto station north east side, there is a tourist taxi stand (drivers know some English), taxi ride (fare ¥1500) to Kiyomizu-dera (a slope leading to the temple), visit the temple and one mile walk down to Yasaka Shrine area. You will visit Sannenzaka, Five-storied pagoda photo spot, Ninenzaka, Starbucks Coffee shop with tatami, Ichinenzaka Hill, Yasaka Shrine, Shirakawa Lane, Hanamikoji-dori...
After Gion walk, if hasn't visited Fushimi Inari, ride the train from Gion-Shijo Station to Fushimi-Inari Station (9 min, fare ¥220), and ride the Nara Line from Inari Station back to Kyoto station. 

Lots of restaurants inside Tokyo station, for lunch or dinner. Don't need to be a vivid walker, and visit the places where you feel comfortable and practical. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2024 at 12:12 AM, monkey@cruise said:

. Ride the Metro Portliner from Port Terminal station to Sannomiya Station in 7 min, fare ¥210. From Sannomiya Station take Tokaido-Sanyo Line to Kyoto station in 55 min, freq 4/hr. fare ¥1,110.

Hi monkey@cruise and anyone else 🙂

hoping you can help with getting from Sannomiya Metro Station to Kyoto.

Do we go to Platform 1 and 2 for east-bound services for Amagasaki, Osaka, and Kyoto at JR Sannomiya Station? Abit confused as 3 stations and none mention Tokaido-Sanyo Line.

Arriving Thurs 13 Mar KOBE 7am-7pm Diamond  Princess if helps

Also opinions on Kodai-ji Temple along with your suggested personal itinerary, ?doable in our time frame

Thanks 

2 hours ago, happyholidaycampers said:

Hi monkey@cruise and anyone else 🙂

hoping you can help with getting from Sannomiya Metro Station to Kyoto.

Do we go to Platform 1 and 2 for east-bound services for Amagasaki, Osaka, and Kyoto at JR Sannomiya Station? Abit confused as 3 stations and none mention Tokaido-Sanyo Line.

Arriving Thurs 13 Mar KOBE 7am-7pm Diamond  Princess if helps

Also opinions on Kodai-ji Temple along with your suggested personal itinerary, ?doable in our time frame

Thanks 

Ship will dock at Kobe Port terminal, exit the cruise terminal and turn right to the Port Terminal metro station.

image.png.8dda4e3be400c43ff3029186501e223b.png

Fare is ¥220, 7 min ride to Sannomiya metro station, turn right after exit the metro station gate, down one level to the JR station hallway.

image.png.0b74b32ad0aa154e48dbd05ff5e5598b.png

image.png.ef058bc45722274bade010634a2894a4.png

If you have IC card, just tap and go, otherwise purchase the train ticket to Kyoto station from a ticket office or a vending machine (support English language), cash payment only. Fare ¥1100, travel time 55 min

Timetable from Sannomiya to Kyoto

image.png.93b37345c34d57fe75c9cc09850d402d.png

The above train schedules stop at Kyoto station (6 stops)

Return from Kyoto to Sannomiya, you must leave Kyoto before 5pm for 7pm Kobe departure.

You will take the train bound to Himeji and get off at Sannomiya.

image.png.ae91fde3440f0bd821fcc4f161e92eee.png

Even though it's the same Sannomiya, the station name is written in a slightly different way for each railway line.  I think JR line uses Sannomiya (Hyogo).  You need to take the New Rapid train, local ones will be 95 min travel.

You will travel in Japan during Sakura season, also weekdays morning rush hours in Sannomiya stations. Most Kyoto attractions will be crowded

1 hour ago, happyholidaycampers said:

Thanks monkey@cruise for your help, much appreciated

Which Kyoto attractions you like to visit? I will be in Kyoto in two weeks, will check out how bad the overtourism. 

2 hours ago, macaroni said:

Would I follow the same directions to go to Osaka from Kobe port?

Not necessary, there are different train companies service between Kobe and Osaka.
Tokaido Sanyo Line is between Kobe Sannomiya station and Osaka Station  21 min ¥420
Kobe Line is between Kobe-Sannomiya station and Osaka-Umeda Station 33 min  ¥330
Hanshin Line is between Kobe-Sannomiya Station and Osaka-Namba Station  44 min ¥420

Depends on your Osaka destination.

On 8/15/2024 at 1:41 AM, monkey@cruise said:

Which Kyoto attractions you like to visit? I will be in Kyoto in two weeks, will check out how bad the overtourism. 

Hoping this will work:

arrive Kyoto Station

taxi to Kinkaku-ji, maybe just quick photo stop

continue with taxi to Kiyomizu-Dera

walk down Sannen-zaka or Ninen-zaka

quick peek at Ishibei-koji Lane

Kodai-ji Temple esp for the bamboo grove

along Nene-no-Michi Lane to

Yasaka Jinga shrine

Hanamikoji-dori

Shirakawa Lane

metro to Fushimi Inari

metro back to Kyoto Station and then back to Kobe

Its alot, dont know if its possible, may have to give up on Kinkaku but want to see Fushi Inari. Concerned re rush hour complications also

1 hour ago, happyholidaycampers said:

Hoping this will work:

arrive Kyoto Station

taxi to Kinkaku-ji, maybe just quick photo stop

continue with taxi to Kiyomizu-Dera

walk down Sannen-zaka or Ninen-zaka

quick peek at Ishibei-koji Lane

Kodai-ji Temple esp for the bamboo grove

along Nene-no-Michi Lane to

Yasaka Jinga shrine

Hanamikoji-dori

Shirakawa Lane

metro to Fushimi Inari

metro back to Kyoto Station and then back to Kobe

Its alot, dont know if its possible, may have to give up on Kinkaku but want to see Fushi Inari. Concerned re rush hour complications also

Am just trying to catch my breath reading your list.  Certainly cannot imagine doing it :).  Last year it took us 4 full days, in Kyoto, to enjoy most of the local attractions.  

Hank

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

just trying to catch my breath reading your list.  Certainly cannot imagine doing it :).  Last year it took us 4 full days, in Kyoto, to enjoy most of the local attractions.  

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of 4 days, only have 1 day.

Walking from  Kiyomizu-Dera to Gion-Shijo metro is only 2.3km and mostly flat or downhill(or appears so🤞😀)so have to factor in looking time. Its only 2 shrines and Fushimi Inari.

Not sure if taxi to Kinkaku-ji is possible time wise. Rush hour is an issue so may have to delete Fushimi but we dont want to if at all possible.

May have to decide on the day

Wish us luck!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Which option for overnights in Kyoto pre cruise please ?

Thanks to everyone for the advice given on these threads.

Especially @Hlitner and @monkey@cruise

I am after opinions on which option people would choose please.

1. We are joining a longish cruise in early November next year,

2. Cruise departs from Yokohama,

3. We wish to visit Kyoto for at least 2 nights pre cruise,

4. We have the option of flying to either Haneda or Osaka ( KIX ).

5. Cost is a factor I will consider, however making things easy will possibly override cost.

Option 1.

Fly to Osaka with our 2 check in bags and 2 carry on,

Transport to Kyoto,

Stay 2 or 3 nights,

Train to Yokohama to stay for 1 night prior to cruise.

Option 2.

Fly to Haneda with bags,

Check into Yokohama hotel for 4 nights,

Next day train to Kyoto for 2 nights with one small carry on bag,

Return to Yokohama hotel for 1 night prior to cruise.

Feel free with your thoughts, ideas and suggestions.

Many thanks.

Edited by Tranquility Base

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

5. Cost is a factor I will consider, however making things easy will possibly override cost.

Option 1.

Transport to Kyoto,

Stay 2 or 3 nights,

Option 2.

Fly to Haneda with bags,

Many thanks.

I always fly to Osaka (KIX) less traffic than Haneda and Narita. Ride Haruka express to Kyoto (90 min) stay there till embarkment day, ride Shinkansen to shin-Yokohama and transfer to Kanni station and taxi to cruise terminal (one mile). Cost of living in Kyoto is cheaper than Yokohama and Tokyo.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 4:46 PM, happyholidaycampers said:

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of 4 days, only have 1 day.

Walking from  Kiyomizu-Dera to Gion-Shijo metro is only 2.3km and mostly flat or downhill(or appears so🤞😀)so have to factor in looking time. Its only 2 shrines and Fushimi Inari.

Not sure if taxi to Kinkaku-ji is possible time wise. Rush hour is an issue so may have to delete Fushimi but we dont want to if at all possible.

May have to decide on the day

Wish us luck!!!!!

Live from Kyoto, I was stuck in Kyoto for a week because Shinkansen shutdown, I am leaving to Kobe to board the ship instead of Yokohama. Is overcrowded with tourists and traffic problem in Kyoto and Gion area. Was 33C with high humidity, weather was not on tourist side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Option 1.

Transport to Kyoto,

Stay 2 or 3 nights,

Option 2.

Fly to Haneda with bags,

Many thanks.

Have you thought about your jet lag? For option 2, travel from Yokohama to Kyoto will take you half a day, so you will have less time in Kyoto.

9 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

I always fly to Osaka (KIX) less traffic than Haneda and Narita. Ride Haruka express to Kyoto (90 min) stay there till embarkment day, ride Shinkansen to shin-Yokohama and transfer to Kanni station and taxi to cruise terminal (one mile). Cost of living in Kyoto is cheaper than Yokohama and Tokyo.

Thanks.

I was concerned about baggage KIX to Kyoto.

How is the Haruka express in that regard ?

8 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Have you thought about your jet lag? For option 2, travel from Yokohama to Kyoto will take you half a day, so you will have less time in Kyoto.

We are currently in Yokohama to join a ship.

Only a 3 hour time zone difference for us, so not too bad.

Yes, you are correct regarding the extra train travel time.

As mentioned above, my concern was travel with bags KIX - Kyoto - Yokohama.

4 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Thanks.

I was concerned about baggage KIX to Kyoto.

How is the Haruka express in that regard ?

We are currently in Yokohama to join a ship.

Only a 3 hour time zone difference for us, so not too bad.

Yes, you are correct regarding the extra train travel time.

As mentioned above, my concern was travel with bags KIX - Kyoto - Yokohama.

I joined the ship in Kobe this morning.  Photo of Haruka express. I will take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kix to fly home. Will post the Shinkansen photos.IMG_6678.thumb.jpeg.ec571662de0ec271213b5f7e3bcdf3d4.jpeg

IMG_6679.thumb.jpeg.174bd58350ea317f33f859310907b734.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

I joined the ship in Kobe this morning.  Photo of Haruka express. I will take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kix to fly home. Will post the Shinkansen photos.

Perfect.

Many thanks to you.

Would you use two individual payments for those two bookings or a pass ?
Not using my large computer whilst travelling, so researching things are currently awkward.

I will get into some detailed research when I am back home.

Edited by Tranquility Base

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Perfect.

Many thanks to you.

Would you use two individual payments for those two bookings or a pass ?
Not using my large computer whilst travelling, so researching things are currently awkward.

I will get into some detailed research when I am back home.

I am on Celebrity Millennium now in Osaka. No pass for Haruka, buy single way, cheaper rate for tourist. I usually purchase the ticket thru KKLOOK website, get a redeem voucher, or you purchase at Kix airport train station (present your passport).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

I am on Celebrity Millennium now in Osaka. No pass for Haruka, buy single way, cheaper rate for tourist. I usually purchase the ticket thru KKLOOK website, get a redeem voucher, or you purchase at Kix airport train station (present your passport).

Sorry the web is Klook.com, lookup Osaka JR Haruka Kansai AirPort Express ticket.

• Thanks 1