Booking flights - Timimg?

napria

Hi all, I’m booking our flights myself (my TA doesn’t book flights unless it’s part of the cruise) and no issues flying in since we come in a day early.  Flying home has become a problem for me.  We’re coming into Brooklyn, so can fly out of JFK, LGA or Newark.  I’m leaning toward JFK as there are multiple non-stop flights to our little airport, but what time can I book?  The 1:50 PM flight is $100 per person less than the 2:50 PM flight, but the next flight is 7:25 PM and gets us in after 10:00 PM.  We’ll still have to get a shuttle to our car and then an hour drive home from the airport, so would like to avoid that, if possible.

14 minutes ago, napria said:

Hi all, I’m booking our flights myself (my TA doesn’t book flights unless it’s part of the cruise) and no issues flying in since we come in a day early.  Flying home has become a problem for me.  We’re coming into Brooklyn, so can fly out of JFK, LGA or Newark.  I’m leaning toward JFK as there are multiple non-stop flights to our little airport, but what time can I book?  The 1:50 PM flight is $100 per person less than the 2:50 PM flight, but the next flight is 7:25 PM and gets us in after 10:00 PM.  We’ll still have to get a shuttle to our car and then an hour drive home from the airport, so would like to avoid that, if possible.

Obviously, being from Southern England, I know nothing about local conditions, but can you self disembark, as that will clearly make a difference?

Two scenarios: you are on time with QM2 into Brooklyn, you are not on time. 

On time: at the very latest you can be off by 09:00 if you are able to self-disembark and thus use Fast Track disembarkation. If you are a USA citizen then you should be in a taxi no later that 09:30 - and it could be 08:30 or sooner.  It then takes under an hour to JFK, but it may be quite a few miles since they will typically use Belt Parkway, for speed, going close to Coney Island. So not a cheap taxi ride.  So from that, and allowing say 90 minutes to check in, then the 13:50 flight gives you heaps of contingency for things going wrong. If you do get out at 08:30 you could easily take public transport, which will take 90-100 minutes or so, and also have plenty of time left.

Not on time: several recent arrivals into Brooklyn have been late by several hours, particularly when on a 6 day crossing, a few things go wrong such as medivac, mechanical outage, and the tide is running against the ship. So when that happens you may not be able to emerge from the terminal building much before midday. The way I would handle this is to book on the earlier service but ideally pay a little more than the basic fare to have the ability to shift to later flights. Generally it won't be needed but we can't say it's a rare event.

• Like 2

If it is a six night crossing I would not do the 1:50 departure, but I think there is only one of those left on the schedule.  For a seven night crossing or Caribbean/Canada you should be fine.

The voyage is actually not a transatlantic crossing but a Canada to New York cruise.  Don’t know if that makes any difference?

Since it’s a short trip, we’re not planning on checking any luggage, so yes we can self disembark.

Your answers have been helpful.  I’m going to book the 1:50 flight.  If something goes wrong out of our control, I’m hoping that our trip insurance will cover any additional expenses.  We always purchase it but have (fortunately) never needed to use it.

49 minutes ago, napria said:

The voyage is actually not a transatlantic crossing but a Canada to New York cruise.  Don’t know if that makes any difference?

Yes, a positive difference in your case, since there will be more contingency available to QM2 on that sort of sailing, more slack available, than on a 6 day Crossing of the Atlantic.

I bought the flight from JFK at 1:50.  After non-refundable tix purchased I got an alert to expect long traffic delays due to construction around the airport.  The alert further recommends to take the train to the plane.  Is this possible from the cruise terminal?  If not — which I’m highly doubtful that it is — should we get an Uber to the train?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, napria said:

I bought the flight from JFK at 1:50.  After non-refundable tix purchased I got an alert to expect long traffic delays due to construction around the airport.  The alert further recommends to take the train to the plane.  Is this possible from the cruise terminal?  If not — which I’m highly doubtful that it is — should we get an Uber to the train?

Depending on what and where the construction is, getting a transfer to AirTrain might be an option.

Bearing in mind you said you'll only have hand luggage, another possibility is ferry to Rockaway. I think @Pushpit did that last year. It needs two ferries transferring at Pier 11 or Sunset Park and connections might not be great. From Rockaway I think you need a train then AirTrain, but I've never looked at those details.

Edited by D&N
punctuation

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, napria said:

AirTrain will require you to take an Uber/cab to Atlantic Terminal in downtown Brooklyn and take the Long Island RR to Jamaica Station, then a transfer to the JFK Airtrain. 
Here’s a link with details:

https://new.mta.info/guides/airports/jfk

While there will be maddening traffic to JFK, to me, taking the AirTrain means a lot of lugging luggage and busy transfers and it’s probably easier and takes the same amount of time to take a cab with a set fare to JFK from Red Hook. I have no experience dealing with the mentioned ferry to JFK but others might. 

Edited by NE John

Posted (edited)

Personally I would take a taxi the 2 miles from Red Hook to Jay Street MetroTech subway, since this has a direct service to Howard Beach and the Airtrain. It can be done in just over an hour from Red Hook, whereas getting to the LIRR terminal risks traffic jams and a longer taxi trip. Howard Beach is the less congested way into JFK, to the point of being tedious for some of the locals!

39 minutes ago, D&N said:

Bearing in mind you said you'll only have hand luggage, another possibility is ferry to Rockaway. I think @Pushpit did that last year. It needs two ferries transferring at Pier 11 or Sunset Park and connections might not be great. From Rockaway I think you need a train then AirTrain, but I've never looked at those details.

Your recollection is correct, and it was lovely on that sunny day. I had lunch at the Rockaway Hotel and then the subway to Howard Beach. Lovely, congestion free, and I would do it again in a heartbeat if the sun was out, but I'd be the first to say that it's not entirely  practical. I put more details in the M338 thread.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spoke with my sister who lives on Long Island who thought that we should take an Uber to the nearest A train station, which would take us to JFK.  According to the NY Transit map, Hoyt Schermerhorn seems to be the closest A train station.

I don’t think we want to take a car, taxi, Uber, etc. to the airport.  The cost is high and the traffic is unpredictable to downright bad. The ferry sounds like something to do if the weather were nice, but only at the beginning of a trip. We used to live in New York and my husband and I both worked in Manhattan for years so all we’re going to want to do when the ship docks is get back to our lovely little neck of the woods in South Carolina 🙂

• Like 2