Vasa Museum or Gamla Stan or both?

Our ship arrives in Stockholm at 9:30 and departs at 5. So I’m guessing that by the time we get off the ship and secure transportation it will be 10:30 before we get anywhere and would certainly want to be making our way back to the ship by 4 or so. Do we have time to visit Vasa, then have lunch and explore Gamla Stan? If we had to pick one, which should we choose? We aren’t that familiar with doing the ports DIY but we are going to try. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Our ship arrives in Stockholm at 9:30 and departs at 5. So I’m guessing that by the time we get off the ship and secure transportation it will be 10:30 before we get anywhere and would certainly want to be making our way back to the ship by 4 or so. Do we have time to visit Vasa, then have lunch and explore Gamla Stan? If we had to pick one, which should we choose? We aren’t that familiar with doing the ports DIY but we are going to try. Thanks! 

Where in Stockholm are you actually docking at?  There are multiple locations.  And that matters. 

43 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Where in Stockholm are you actually docking at?  There are multiple locations.  And that matters. 

You are right. I should have included that information. We are docking at Frihamnen, on the Celebrity silhouette. 

Vasa Museum is on an island with Tivoli and other museums. Gamla Stan is a different island. There is ferry service between them. Using buses, subway and ferries, you can get to the either one or both from the cruise port. But, transportation will eat up a lot of your time. I would pick one or the other. If you prefer museums, go to Vasa and the other museums there, If you like wandering the Old Town, palaces and government buildings, go to Gamla Stan. We spent a whole day in Gamla Stan and took a canal tour that went around the museum island. 

• Thanks 1

Goto Vasa first, stay for 90-120 minutes, then see what time it is. Should be around lunch time. Take the harbour ferry from Allmänna Gränd (close to Vasa) to Gamla Stan. Stroll through Gamla stan for a while and hook up with bus #76 towards Ropsten. It will take you back to your ship. Bus stop is called Slottsbacken. If you stand at the square (Slottsbacken) in front of the royal palace (north) with the church to you left (west) the bus stop is down the hill on your right (east). Just be aware that you want to go on the north bound direction towards Ropsten. Bus runs on 15 minute interval and journey takes about 20 minutes.

• Thanks 1

It really depends on what kind of a tourist are you - do you like seeing the highlights of things and then are happy to move along or do you want to spend a lot of time at one activity?  We did the Baltics with a. 3 year old in tow, so he really didn't want to stay long anywhere so we started our day at 830 at Vasa (you should do that first since its really lovely when it isn't crowded).  Then we visited the open air lemur exhibit in Skansen, then the Viking experience at Historiska (the history museum) and ended our day at the Royal Armory and walking around Galma Stan.   

5 hours ago, Desdichado62 said:

Goto Vasa first, stay for 90-120 minutes, then see what time it is. Should be around lunch time. Take the harbour ferry from Allmänna Gränd (close to Vasa) to Gamla Stan. Stroll through Gamla stan for a while and hook up with bus #76 towards Ropsten. It will take you back to your ship. Bus stop is called Slottsbacken. If you stand at the square (Slottsbacken) in front of the royal palace (north) with the church to you left (west) the bus stop is down the hill on your right (east). Just be aware that you want to go on the north bound direction towards Ropsten. Bus runs on 15 minute interval and journey takes about 20 minutes.

Thank you for the detailed response 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dfilpus said:

Vasa Museum is on an island with Tivoli and other museums. Gamla Stan is a different island. There is ferry service between them. Using buses, subway and ferries, you can get to the either one or both from the cruise port. But, transportation will eat up a lot of your time. I would pick one or the other. If you prefer museums, go to Vasa and the other museums there, If you like wandering the Old Town, palaces and government buildings, go to Gamla Stan. We spent a whole day in Gamla Stan and took a canal tour that went around the museum island. 

Thank you. It’s a tough choice. I want to do both but don’t want to be that person running on the pier was the ship pulls out lol

18 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

It really depends on what kind of a tourist are you - do you like seeing the highlights of things and then are happy to move along or do you want to spend a lot of time at one activity?  We did the Baltics with a. 3 year old in tow, so he really didn't want to stay long anywhere so we started our day at 830 at Vasa (you should do that first since its really lovely when it isn't crowded).  Then we visited the open air lemur exhibit in Skansen, then the Viking experience at Historiska (the history museum) and ended our day at the Royal Armory and walking around Galma Stan.   

Thank you. Our ship arrives at 9:30 so that cuts into our time. I’d love to do both, but might have to pick one. I love museums but also love architecture, etc. it might we a game time decision based on how fast we are able to walk of the ship

7 hours ago, mskaufman said:

We had a ship tour that did both.  First Gamla Stan and then the Vasa.

Yes I saw that, but for the two of us it’s $393. A bit too expensive for us. To do it DIY is less than half that, but more difficult to navigate. 

14 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I guess the 3 year old really hurried you otherwise you never could have seen all that. We also did the Vasa as it opened and then went to Skansen. I was telling DW that we were spending too much time there. She finally agreed to move on. We then went to the art museum (I forget its name). And we really hurried through and did it no justice. Ususally, with DW being an art teacher, now retired, we spend a lot of time in an art museum. She especially lingers at almost evey piece of art.

18 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I guess the 3 year old really hurried you otherwise you never could have seen all that. We also did the Vasa as it opened and then went to Skansen. I was telling DW that we were spending too much time there. She finally agreed to move on. We then went to the art museum (I forget its name). And we really hurried through and did it no justice. Ususally, with DW being an art teacher, now retired, we spend a lot of time in an art museum. She especially lingers at almost evey piece of art.

Yes, that's a very good point.  We knew he had a short attention span and researched the highlights of each destination.  He did spend an hour at Vasa, but only saw the open air lemur exhibit at Skansen and just the hands on viking exhibit at the history museum.  The only thing he didn't like was the Royal Armory, so that wound up being a very short stop. He really liked walking around Galma Stan, and also the ferries around Stockholm.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Yes, that's a very good point.  We knew he had a short attention span and researched the highlights of each destination.  He did spend an hour at Vasa, but only saw the open air lemur exhibit at Skansen and just the hands on viking exhibit at the history museum.  The only thing he didn't like was the Royal Armory, so that wound up being a very short stop. He really liked walking around Galma Stan, and also the ferries around Stockholm.   

Even an hour seems a long attention span for a 3 year old, but I can see where it could be done as the Vasa Musuem is probably best seen with childlike wonder.