Would you risk bow facing balcony for Panama Canal & Amazon?

Pies4u

Just wondered if anyone has specific experience of a forward facing suite for Panama Canal or the Amazon? We had one in the Baltic and, despite the amazing views, the balcony was virtually unusable due to the windy conditions. The weather was poor in most ports too so we barely used it.

On a Caribbean cruise it was brilliant for the most part but, again, the balcony was not much use during the 5 day crossing to the Canaries.

We are considering a canal & Amazon cruise in Grandeur, (in March 2027), in the SS suite with side & forward balcony view but it’s very expensive if you can’t take advantage of the outside space. I’m presuming that the canal section should pose no problem and guessing that the 7 days on the Amazon should be fine too, but does anyone know for certain? There are a few sea days on the Atlantic coast of S Am, which may be a “write off” but I’m hoping the Caribbean Sea days will be ok for balcony use.

Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For the Panama Canal transit, I recommend not staying in your cabin for most of it, regardless of where the cabin is. Sometimes you will want to be forward looking at where you're going, sometimes you will want to be aft looking at where you've been, and sometimes you will want to be looking over the side at the amazing lock structures and 'donkeys' helping pull your boat through.

This was advice given to us by the great Terry Breen who was on board for our crossing, and it served us very well I think.

• Like 5

Thanks to Spudd &DTW - these 2 responses are very re-assuring, much appreciated.. The key with the SSS is the balcony faces both front and side, of course, so there are clear benefits for the canal & the Amazon sections of the cruise.

Speaking from experience:

Panama Canal - The first time we made passage, we were in the cabin furthest forward.  It was nice but not necessary.  We have been thru the canal 2 additional times.  The transit takes most of the day and you will most likely move around the ship to view the action from various perspectives.  Repeat: not necessary to be in cabin with forward view.

Amazon - cabin position irrelevant.  The river is so wide, most of the time, while sailing, you will have only a distant view of the banks of the river.  When you are sailing closer to shore, there is really very little of interest to see.

I sure hope this doesn't surpress the excitement you may be looking forward to.

Done Panama Canal and Amazon (The Greatest River in the World!) segments.  

Echo several above Posts as to Canal.  Have transited four times, two Pacific to 'Carib; two Carib to Pacific.

Fifth will be in January '25 for another Pacific to Carib aboard Grandeur. 

The only time we have ever stayed in--or near our Suites at various Category levels--was one Pacific to Carib transit. Pouring-down rain--continuous, all seven or eight hours.  Heavy winds.  Fortunately, this was not our first trip through the Canal. Result was spending most of the time watching the Bridge camera which is piped-into each Suite; plus, listening to commentary from a Guest Lecturer.  Other times--out and about.  Always something to see.   

Regarding Amazon:  This is Not a River; it is an inland Ocean.  For us:  so bloody HOT and humid.  Had to carefully gauge time spent out of our Suite.  We were there during the end of one extremely heavy--even by local standards--Rain Season. Really, not much of interest to observe against a heavy current upstream on the way to Manaus; and return with the current except marveling at the strength of the River's brute power.  A once in a lifetime experience. 

A marvel of navigation by our Navigator Captain to dodge the tree trunks and various chunks of former washed-away shoreline land being carried by the current either at on the way to Manaus; or chasing the ship's stern during the exit portion. Many changes as to published shore itineraries due to River conditions.  As our Captain noted:  The River demands respect.

Forward-facing or stern-facing Suites are a secondary consideration. Just stay in the moment and venture out. 

GOARMY

What GOARMY says above is a great point.  Do not stay in your suite during the Canal transit or at least, not much.  We went to the Observation Lounge (were on the Mariner) at about 0530 as we approached Panama City.  There was an excellent commentary on board from an expert on the Canal Authority who lectured throughout our cruise.  Then when we started the transit we picked up yet another commentator.  We had a wonderful view.  After a few hours we went to our suite (PH-A) and ordered breakfast...smoked salmon and bagels.  We ate it on our balcony and watched the mules at work.  (My husband remarked that we were "eating Lox in the locks"!)

In those days the ships moored in the Gatun lake and we went on shore and took a hélicopter ride.  Again - wonderful.  We ended the day in the Compass Rose at a window table as we went through the Gatun locks.  We had a view at first which was soon one of a wet concrete wall!!

Get out and about.  All day long...

As far as the bow suites go - there are restrictions on use of the balcony at night because the light interferes with the vision from the bridge.  So if you go out - you must be in the dark if the ship is underway.  AND you have to keep your curtains closed any time lights are on in the suite.  Just bear that in mind.

Very helpful stuff folks - thanks. The point for me is not actually the suite, but the balcony and viewing opportunities! Grandeur, like all the newer ships, has no outside forward public space beyond the pool, thus, we like a suite with forward views or an aft with rear & side views.

I don’t intend spending too much time inside the suite, apart from sleeping, it’s all about getting some sunshine/warmth and decent views of the river and canal tbh!

On 9/13/2024 at 2:59 PM, DavidTheWonderer said:

For the Panama Canal transit, I recommend not staying in your cabin for most of it, regardless of where the cabin is. Sometimes you will want to be forward looking at where you're going, sometimes you will want to be aft looking at where you've been, and sometimes you will want to be looking over the side at the amazing lock structures and 'donkeys' helping pull your boat through.

This was advice given to us by the great Terry Breen who was on board for our crossing, and it served us very well I think.

Was this recent? I agree Terry Breen is the greatest. She said once she had hung up her sailor suit! I'm curious if you've seen her lately?

• 2 weeks later...

I was on westbound Explorer in January of 2022 (Miami-San Diego). Stayed in far forward suite. Can't remember if it was 701 or 801. It was starboard side (right side facing the bow) We spent most of the canal transit watching from our balcony. Had room service for lunch and ate out on deck. Great views! Here are some photos from the suite balcony. Of course, we walked around the ship to get different perspectives, but the balcony view was pretty nice. LOTS of sun actually. I remember getting a little pink that day.

37B14040-0266-4C43-9836-ADBB1992FE42_1_105_c.jpeg

8576AB75-A31F-4AD7-AF44-42A6C411EB82_1_105_c.jpeg

9E31A1D5-DE33-4882-A9AF-68C6A1B60810_1_105_c.jpeg

9DB6992E-E276-40CA-858C-1348FACFE789_1_105_c.jpeg

3924BEC3-E83A-4EC7-83F8-B2278912A261_1_105_c.jpeg

BD85B591-AC20-42B6-9081-1BC6D12F0EBA_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by FLgemini
added content
  • Like 2

Not sure how helpful this is but our experience in a forward facing 'named suite' on a Seabourn Caribbean cruise was not good.

1. Every night they covered and strapped down the furniture on our huge veranda at something like 17:30 !!  Nowhere to sit thereafter.

2. Every night the lights on our veranda were remotely extinguished pre-dinner so it was largely unusable. Apparently the bridge couldn't see where we were heading !

3. The wind when at sea - even when the weather conditions were relatively calm - made the veranda quite unpleasant for anything other that a quick look.

Never again - to spend a substantial sum on something where one can't use a material part of the product is most disappointing.

Maybe the Regent approach is different to Seabourn ? 

Fair comment - thank you for that info. We also had a poor experience with bow facing suites on Oceania in the Baltic & to a certain extent with Silversea but that involved a T/A crossing too.

We have no issue with the lights, furniture tied down at night etc. In fact one night SS didn’t tie stuff down and we had a major issue as a sun lounger tried to escape and got lodged in the railings! The captain had to change direction, in order to avoid the huge winds, at 5.00 am in order for crew to get out on to the balcony and retrieve said sun lounger!

This cruise is different, it’s the Panama Canal & Amazon, plus a spell in the southern Caribbean, where we used our huge balcony with SS every day, even when not in port.

Based on some of the helpful comments above & our own experiences, we’ve booked this in the SS suite & just hope for favourable conditions at sea but at least the river&  canal sections will be fine.

23 hours ago, machotspur said:

2. Every night the lights on our veranda were remotely extinguished pre-dinner so it was largely unusable. Apparently the bridge couldn't see where we were heading !

Night vision is essential to bridge watch standers - over any other sensor or system. 

A single light on a single balcony will shine brightly on the forecastle [bow] and severely reduce the bridge watch's ability to see beyond it.