Sensation 3/27/06 Where are you??

Do not have much time to give a thorough review. I will do that maybe later tonight. But let me say this... This was the WORST cruise we have been on. The ship is far from complete and the staff is totally out of sync. I am not telling this to get a free cruise, just a warning to those who are thinking about the Sensation. Pick another ship. More later, I just wanted to get this posted.

One more thing, I was talking to one of the assistant Cruise Directors and she said that Carnival has changed the itineray and will not have the Sensation going to Grand Turk. She would not explain the reason and said that the Fantasy will be used for Grand Turk instead. She said that this begins immediately. Check with Carnival, she may have been mistaken, but I would check if you have this trip booked and was looking forward to Grand Turk.

Thank you for your quick post. We have all been anxiously awaiting your return. Get some rest and then give us all the details. Thank you in advance. We are sailing the Sensation on 4/24 and I am getting more nervous by the day.

Kathy

I am so sorry you had a lousy cruise :( Thanks you so much for reporting in so quickly.

I hope the cheerleaders leave this thread alone so it can be used to help the folks scheduled on the upcoming Sensation cruises.

Someone just stated this on the April 15th Roll Call. Said the Cernival website will say that tomorrow. My only problem is...not all of the Sensations cruises are to the GT. We are on it in a few days to the Bahama's and we don't want a boat that isn't prepared from what we read. So, what do you think? Will they just change the boat for the ones going to GT or all?

This is driving me NUTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I was on the 3/23 Sensation sailing and have been both supported and slammed for reporting my negative experience.

I saw the following on the "Propulsion woes alter cruise trip - Sensation" thread:

I spent an hour on the phone last night begging Carnival to change my 5-27 booking from Sensation to the Glory. I had just made my final payment 2 days before so they tried to say normally there would be a $250 per person penalty but they were kind enough to waive this.

My inlaws are traveling with us and it's their first cruise. While I fully believe all the kinks will be worked out by May, I didn't want to take a chance. Plus, now I get two extra days of cruise! Very excited now!

Do not have much time to give a thorough review. I will do that maybe later tonight. But let me say this... This was the WORST cruise we have been on. The ship is far from complete and the staff is totally out of sync. I am not telling this to get a free cruise, just a warning to those who are thinking about the Sensation. Pick another ship. More later, I just wanted to get this posted.

I had heard that about the Fantasy... but nothing has been officially announced yet... it would make sense to do that though.

Sorry it wasn't up to par. I really wish they would have planned to keep her in drydock a little longer... She is my favorite ship, and I really hate to see this happening. I'm looking forward to your review... and hoping things get better soon!!!!

We're booked to go on the May 27th cruise. I have been reading about the itinerary changes and issues with the ship, and I've been telling myself it will all be resolved by the time we leave...

I wonder if, right now, they are taking the itinerary change on a case-by-case (or cruise-by-cruise) basis. If there has been a "permanent" itinerary change, when will Carnival provide official notification to us?

Which ports we go to doesn't matter to much to me 'cause I've never been to either of them (never been on a cruise for that matter). But I'd kind of like to have a general idea, if possible.

I think my biggest fear is that they will cancel our cruise again...we were originally scheduled for the May 29th cruise on the Sensation out of New Orleans...and then Katrina hit.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the reviews!

I had heard that about the Fantasy... but nothing has been officially announced yet... it would make sense to do that though.

Sorry it wasn't up to par. I really wish they would have planned to keep her in drydock a little longer... She is my favorite ship, and I really hate to see this happening. I'm looking forward to your review... and hoping things get better soon!!!!

What I don't understand is WHY it wasn't ready. THe poster who was on the ship in New Orleans said they working on the boat the last few weeks it was in New Orleans. That gave them a great deal more time to get it ready.

The only need for dry dock is for inspection and repairs of anything below the waterline. It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong there. It is, apparently, just poor planning for the rest of the renovations.

What I don't understand is WHY it wasn't ready. THe poster who was on the ship in New Orleans said they working on the boat the last few weeks it was in New Orleans. That gave them a great deal more time to get it ready.

The only need for dry dock is for inspection and repairs of anything below the waterline. It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong there. It is, apparently, just poor planning for the rest of the renovations.

Who knows?? I have no clue what all needed to be done after sitting there for 6 months... And they had a great deal of renovations to do, plus a lot of refurb. Who knows why it wasn't ready... I don't think if we knew the reason it would make a difference either way. It wasn't ready...

My In-laws just got back and said it's true, the Fantasy and Sensation are swapping out this Thursday. Anyone scheduled to sail the Sensation will be sailing on the Fantasy.

The ship was disorganized and things weren't ready, just like last week's cruisers said. My MIL talked to a woman at the Radisson who was to get married in Grand Turk and hadn't been told anything about missing the port. She was pretty upset and was calling the Carnival wedding coordinator.

We're scheduled to sail on the Fantasy in May. I guess we may be on the Sensation instead. :confused:

Ms B

We just came back from a disappointing March 27th cruise. My husband (a captain himself) found out there truly is a propulsion problem, something to do with the shaft (he gave me all the details but anything mechanic goes right in from one ear /out through the other:D ). Likely a problem they can only fix in drydock!! In the meanwhile Sensation can only travel limited distances. There were lots of things broken, the slide did not work, the laundry did not work, the internet was extremely slow (at 75 cents a min not a good thing), the library was always closed and we could never get the information desk to open it up to get games. My kids were disappointed there was no ping pong table, and were a tad bored, as I cannot seem to get them into the teen clubs. Our bathroom flooded the first night and soaked our clothes. They shut off the water several nights in a row. There was lots of sanding and sawing going on, not a sound I want to hear while on vacation. It was so cold inside I came back with pneumonia! All this would have been just small nuisances had we not switched Grand Turk for Freeport. For the first time on a cruise we found ourselves wishing on the last day that we were already home! What we really did enjoy, was the Las Vegas show Curves. I though the food was good, although the portions were very small. As a vegetarian I really enjoyed that they offered options that were not just pasta. The crew was great. Keep your fingers crossed you get Daniel as your waiter, he was awesome. Our steward was from Costa Rica where we lived for many years so that was fun, and I loved the CD, he was a hoot. Don't think we'll be traveling on Carnival again though.

found out there truly is a propulsion problem, something to do with the shaft . . . Likely a problem they can only fix in drydock!! In the meanwhile Sensation can only travel limited distances.

On the day at sea, I was listening and feeling the vibration of the engine on the pool deck. If you concentrated on the sound and vibration (no it was not the music) you could tell that something was not dead on center. It was like a ceiling fan with a blade out of balance, the vibration was not in harmony of what you would expect from a carefully tuned engine like on a cruise ship. At that time I did realize that the engine - or some component - was not up to par and probably damaged. I think if they keep running that engine it will suffer further damage or be fatal to the whole power plant and need to be completely replace. I am not a mechanic, nor a ship engineer, but someone that has a basic understanding on engines and what you should or should not hear and feel. It is ashame that this was not discovered while in New Orleans, they could have fixed it there or when it was in dry dock. This was just my observations, I guess even cruise ship need a little. . .

CruiseHealing

I am upset because my cruise is over and I love the Fantasy! It has 2 ping pong tables, a sushi bar and it has clear (not darkly tinted like Sensation) windows that are great for sitting in front of, watching the ocean. Our cruise would have been so much more enjoyable on Fantasy.

Just returned home from this cruise. This ship was not ready to sail.

Encountered the following difficulties:

propulsion system problem - change in port from Grand Turk to Freeport

drain in our cabin kept backing up sending gross black stuff into our shower and onto our bathroom floor - horrible sewer gas smell

water slide not working

basketball court not open until last day when one sorry-looking basketball goal was put up

shuffleboard just repainted so not available until last day

various parts of the deck being re-done so yellow tape hung across deck preventing access to certain areas

bar near pool being re-varnished

lifeboat would not come back up (routine maintenance being performed) so late leaving from Freeport

Despite all of this, we enjoyed the cruise...just not happy about port change or bathroom issues! The crew was wonderful! Our waiter and asst waiter were the best that we've ever had!

Our days of sailing with Carnival, however, may be over.

It is ashame that this was not discovered while in New Orleans, they could have fixed it there or when it was in dry dock. This was just my observations, I guess even cruise ship need a little. . .

That's what has me confused. The ship was in Nawlins for 6 months, left port once (Wilma), then went to Mobile, then to Port Canaveral. And in ALL that time they didn't have problems until now? It's not odd or out of the ordinary for a cruise to develop a problem "overnight," but then again I think those of us booked for later cruises (as in not the next 2 weeks) should give them time to get their legs under them and let them get things fixed. Carnival has a good track record of doing the right thing, it just takes all those "in the know" a bit to get it organized.

I know they're refitting the pool areas and shuffleboard/outdoors entertainment areas, so that would explain the slides being off and the other stuff not open (aren't they putting a mini-golf course on that class of ships?, like they did on the Imagination?). And they are technically a hotel/resort, so they don't shut down for things like recarpeting or varnish or brass refits, just like a hotel wouldn't ("Pardon Our Dust").

Just give them time. Be supportive, not detracting. If you seriously do have a problem, call your travel agent or Carnival agent and get it reviewed. Maybe they can work with you, but being aggressive and acerbic won't get you anywhere with ANY business. :D

Did anyone on the Sensation see this post?

Those of you that may be truly concerned about the safety and sanitation problems occuring on the ship should read this and maybe complain to the proper authorities. Enough complaints may bring some action. I believe as much as we pay for our vacations, we need to expect better than what the Sensation is delivering.

Vessel Safety.

Ocean-going cruise ships of U.S. registry must meet a comprehensive set

of Coast Guard safety regulations and be inspected annually by the Coast Guard to check for compliance. The safety regulations cover such things as hull structure, watertight integrity, structural requirements to minimize fire hazards, equipment requirements for lifesaving, firefighting, and vessel control, and requirements pertaining to the safe navigation of the ship. If the ship passes its annual inspection, it is issued a Coast Guard Certificate of Inspection valid for one year. The certificate must be displayed where passengers can see it.

Sanitation and Cleanliness.

Oversight of sanitary conditions on passenger vessels is the

responsibility of the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS). The USPHS conducts both scheduled and surprise inspections of passenger vessels in U.S. ports. The inspections focus on proper sanitation for drinking water, food storage, food preparation and handling, and general cleanliness. The USPHS will provide the public with results of inspections on individual vessels, and take reports of unsanitary conditions on individual

vessels.

HOW TO COMPLAIN

Vessel Safety

: Persons who wish to complain about a safety-related matter they have

observed on a cruise ship should contact the Coast Guard Marine Safety Office (MSO)responsible for the Control Verification Examination of the ship. Interested persons can get a referral to the appropriate MSO by calling the Coast Guard toll-free Consumer

Hotline: 1-800-368-5647. The most popular ports for cruise ships are Miami, FL; Juneau,

AK, and San Juan, PR. The Coast Guard MSO telephone numbers are: (305) 535-8705

(Miami); (907) 463-2450 (Juneau), and (787) 729-6800 (San Juan).

Sanitary Conditions

: Reports of unsanitary conditions on a cruise ship can be made to:

U.S. Public Health Service, Chief, Vessel Sanitation Program, National Center for

Environmental Health, 1850 Eller Dr., Suite 101, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, 33316. Telephone:

954-356-6650.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/gm/cruise.pdf

Despite all of this, we enjoyed the cruise...just not happy about port change or bathroom issues! The crew was wonderful! Our waiter and asst waiter were the best that we've ever had!

Our days of sailing with Carnival, however, may be over.

So, again, I'm a bit confused (and sorry for the double post... couldn't figure out how to "double quote" on here...).

You state you enjoyed the cruise despite the issues, but then in the next breath (OK, keystroke...) you say your days of sailing Carnival may be over. I've been on air flights that were delayed 3, 4, 6+ hours, but I never have said I wouldn't fly on that airline again. I've been to hotels where something or the other was wrong, but it never stopped me from using them again in the future. Things happen, it's life. Yes, we spend a lot of money on these vacations, and yes, we should expect what we're paying for. But the ship JUST came out of servicing, and if anyone cares to research the other cruise lines' forums or reviews, there's ALWAYS issues. Things are out of sync, for the crew AND the ship.

Granted, you went on the first cruise right after that servicing, and it might have been prudent for Carnival to NOT book cruises until they were sure that everything was spot-on, but then they must have had good reason or good word that it WAS ready. After all, it travelled from Mobile to Canaveral and there were no issues (?). Give 'em time, they'll get it right.

Did anyone on the Sensation see this post?

"Those of you that may be truly concerned about the safety and sanitation problems occuring on the ship should read this and maybe complain to the proper authorities. Enough complaints may bring some action. I believe as much as we pay for our vacations, we need to expect better than what the Sensation is delivering.

Vessel Safety.

Ocean-going cruise ships of U.S. registry must meet a comprehensive set of Coast Guard safety regulations and be inspected annually by the Coast Guard to check for compliance. The safety regulations cover such things as hull structure, watertight integrity, structural requirements to minimize fire hazards, equipment requirements for lifesaving, firefighting, and vessel control, and requirements pertaining to the safe navigation of the ship. If the ship passes its annual inspection, it is issued a Coast Guard Certificate of Inspection valid for one year. The certificate must be displayed where passengers can see it.

Ummm.. those of you that WERE on the 3/27/06 cruise can probably attest to this: your departure was delayed BECAUSE the Coast Guard were onboard and still inspecting the ship and would not release it until they were done, yes? And, since the cruise did go, after the Coast Guard finished their inspection, that would mean the ship passed it's inspection, no?

Sanitation and Cleanliness.

Oversight of sanitary conditions on passenger vessels is the responsibility of the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS). The USPHS conducts both scheduled and surprise inspections of passenger vessels in U.S. ports. The inspections focus on proper sanitation for drinking water, food storage, food preparation and handling, and general cleanliness. The USPHS will provide the public with results of inspections on individual vessels, and take reports of unsanitary conditions on individual vessels.

Again, as above with the Coast Guard, the USPHS were probably onboard and part of that final inspection, so the cruise ship did sail.

It looks like there is a mechanical issue with the ship. What would reporting/complaining to whomever have to do with that, since their inspectors approved the ship BEFORE it left? Coast Guard checked it off, and by law Carnival has to provide these documents to the general public for review. I'm still not seeing an issue for you, Bobo, especially since you're not cruising for almost a month. It would most definitely be fixed by then.

Just give them time. Be supportive, not detracting. If you seriously do have a problem, call your travel agent or Carnival agent and get it reviewed. Maybe they can work with you, but being aggressive and acerbic won't get you anywhere with ANY business. :D

In response to the above -

"If you seriously do have a problem"???!!!! - foul-smelling, black unidentifiable substance in your bathroom is serious.

Being aggressive does get you everywhere - Ever heard the phrase "The squeaky wheel gets all the oil"?

We were under the impression that the boat had already been refurbished before the trip.

"Excuse our mess" are you freaking kidding me???

Black sludge backing up into the shower, outside facilities unprepared for people dying to "get outside", prop. systems inadequate to take you on an itenerary you had not been on in 10 cruises, more yellow tape than a CSI crime scene...shall I go on? For my $5000 I certainly don't expect to sitting around on the last day wishing like heck I was at home. It was not a ruined trip but definately disappointing.

Go have your apology parade some where else NotAPirate.

JD

In response to the above -

"If you seriously do have a problem"???!!!! - foul-smelling, black unidentifiable substance in your bathroom is serious.

Being aggressive does get you everywhere - Ever heard the phrase "The squeaky wheel gets all the oil"?

Persistant gets you everywhere. Aggressive at a minimum gets you removed from the ship and possibly arrested.

Archived