Just back from Magica West Carib

latadj98

I just wanted to reassure all going on the Magica that it really is a great experience. I was very skeptical about this line after reading many bad reviews over the last 9 months but must say was VERY pleased with the whole experience. I went on this cruise with the attitude "it is what it is" and roll with the punches. There really were no punches. All the staff was very accommodating and the ship is beautiful. The activity people really make the days at sea fun and entertaining. The food ?? it wasn't the best I've ever had but I didn't come home weighing any less !! There are plenty of choices for everyones tastes....you'll find what you want some place on the ship.

So, don't believe everything you read (guess that could apply to this posting). Just felt the need to say that I was expecting the worst and it didn't turn out that way at all...it was just the opposite. A very memorable time with my wife, two teenage children and friends we met along the way. Enjoy !!

13 and 16 (boy, girl). There are activities going on all the time. They provide you with a daily activity list (the night before), times and locations so you can choose. Pool bands, dancing, basketball, ping pong, tennis...really, too much to list here. Trust me they will find something to do. I didn't see too many unhappy kids. We are from Wisconsin so my kids enjoyed the time sitting around the pool and taking in the much needed warmth and sunshine !!

Thanks latadj98,

We are looking at this ship for our family trip during spring break next year. We saw the ship up close in Nassau last month (our ship was in port the same day as the Magica), and she really is beautiful!

What cabin category did you stay in?

8A, we stayed on the 6th floor towards the stern of the ship, balcony, very nice. All four of us. One queen/king (big enough) and 2 bunks for the kids. Close quarters but very nice. Our steward, Elmer, always kept it nice and tidy so you never felt cramped. Balcony helps. We were over one of the lounges and could hear the band some nights. It wasn't as bad as some people posted. By the time you hit the sheets you're all pretty exhausted anyway. I guess if I were to do it again, I would try to find a room closer to the middle of the ship.

13 and 16 (boy, girl). There are activities going on all the time. They provide you with a daily activity list (the night before), times and locations so you can choose. Pool bands, dancing, basketball, ping pong, tennis...really, too much to list here. Trust me they will find something to do. I didn't see too many unhappy kids. We are from Wisconsin so my kids enjoyed the time sitting around the pool and taking in the much needed warmth and sunshine !!

Can you please tell me what your kids did after dinner. I have to tell you that I cruised with kids from ages 12 - 17 and they were totally bored at night....

Was on the Magica March 5 2006 and we were with a group of 5 adults and 6 children. Boys and girls ranging from 13 to 16. It would be better if you would of asked what didn't they do. We did not see them for a full week and it was a constant negotiation going on to at least see them for late dinner 8:45pm. They were with Marco the teen co-ordinator and they did the following,

1. Teen Disco night

2. Teen only buffet dinner.

3. Teen only basketball game at night

4. Teen only casual dinner.

5. Teen only trivial pusuit.

6. Teen only water polo.

On and On and ON, I really do not know how Marco kept up with all of them. However their mainstay was the disco. One nigth all the parents decided to join the kids in the disco and let me tell you we were all booted out by our own kids. I do know for a fact that they did so much more and that what they told us they did was only the tip of the iceberg. Elaine this was one cruise were the parents were complaining that we did not see enough of the kids. The only reason some of the parents were checking up on them was to make sure the teens did not sneek in any alcohol because that is were I draw the line. Elaine we were so shocked when we landed in the Bahamas and the kids wanted to go shopping as a teen only outing. They are ony 15 or 16 don't the need us anymore ...don't they want us anymore.....!

All the kids are looking forward to next year!

Yes Marco did look like the famous Matrix star. I had alot of good conversations with him. He happens to be from the same village in Italy as my father which is Gubbio from the beautiful Umbria area. The only regret is that I did not take a year off after highschool to work on a cruise ship being fluent in 4 languages would of made it so easy, but you know how it is for an Italian kid in the 70's, you do not go out of the house till your married. Gave my son the same rules and I'm affraid he'll hold me to it!:eek:

Hi there I did come home with the same kid. I was lucky because of the group of kids only one belonged to me. Let me tell you that a 15 year old son was a handful. However the entire teen staff put our worries to rest because they were all so nice.

P.S. to make us happy all the kids wore their togas at late dinner but as soon as dinner was over the togas were off and their street clothes were on. The trade off was that they wore the togas and they were allowed to stay till 1:30am in the disco.

I just got back from the Mediterranea yesterday. I plan to write a very thorough review when I get a chance.

I will say this now, I will never go on another Carnival or RCI cruise as long as Costa is around. Best cruise experience yet.

Archived