Dune buggy adventure

stovemungen

i just came back from the cruise on crown 9/3.the dune buggys were GREATTT

you get so much more out of grand turk. the guide takes all over the island.

take lots of film . and DON"T WEAR WHITE!!!!you do get really dirty.but it is so worth it.

Thanks for the info.Can you tell me more? We booked this for Oct and can't wait.How rough is the ride? Can you post pictures of it?

Laura

the ride is not too bad. but watch out for mud puddles. every one wears a helmet so your eyes and face are safe from sand it started raining on our tour

and with sand thrown in front of us it felt like it was raining sand . it didnt hurt

and the trip was a total blast but you do get dirty.there is a guide in front and one that is in back . some times you go on the road sometimes on trails others.

take film.they give you water . i will post some pictures in the morning. hope you have as much fun as we did

Thanks for the info Sandy.I don't mind getting dirty but I was concerned that the ride might be rough on my back. It does sound like alot of fun and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll keep an eye out for your pictures!

Laura

• 1 month later...

On HAL, the option is $99 per person. What if we don't want to share a buggy? I think I'd have a lot of fun driving my own. Are you required to share w/ someone?

Whenever we rent ATVs, we always get separate ones so we can each drive. From what I've read, it looks the put 2 people in each buggy. What if I went alone? Would they stick someone w/ me?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They are actual dune buggies and you go quite fast at times. When we did it in June one of the buggies stalled at one point, that coupled with a delay at the start meant that we pretty much were running wide open when on the paved surfaces going out to the lighthouse and back to the ship. There was only one point when it got a little rough and that was at the start when you go down around the salt pond. This is where I got the dirtiest as I hit a large puddle! It was a blast!

• 4 months later...

We did this last week in Grand Turk. Had a fantastic time. There were two buggies that held 4 people. The rest held 2 each. This excursion does fill up fast, so I would book it as soon as you can. Great way to see the entire island. You stop at one point and climb Gun Hill. They said this is the highest point on the island (not much of a climb). Nice view of the water and the ship at dock. Then you stop at the lighthouse for bathroom and sightseeing. Small gift shop with great prices on tee shirts. Much more reasonable than by the cruise center. There is one place where you go through water. How wet you get depends on how fast you drive through it. Of course my husband floored it and we were completely drenched! I highly recommend this excursion. The guides were great. Lots of information about the island.

From personal experience, this excursion does book up early. We tried to book it last night for 6/21--will be on the Triumph that week. It has already sold out both times!! We are bummed out. Anyone have other suggestions for good excursions in GT? Also, does Carnival put you on any sort of waiting list in case people cancel out their reservation for the excursion?

We sure hated to miss it--don't do as we did--BOOK IT EARLY!!

• 1 year later...

Hello PG77 - I just foudn this link on Cruise Critic - Good news hubby doesn't have to teach us stick. :eek:

Dune buggies are automatic transmission... they go off-road and it's "bumpy" but not uncomfortably so.. and there is a fair portion that is on road going out to the historic lighthouse.. Most of the off road stuff is sandy and not rough terrain like you'd find near here (NC).

Archived