Dune buggy adventure

stovemungen

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned last weekend and we did the Dune Buggy Safari while in Grand Turk. Some of the drive was off road and some was in town. It was a fun way to get around the island, driving the 2 person buggies on the left side of the street. There was not much to see as the island is pretty undeveloped. Honestly I was concentrating on driving on the wrong side of the street and didn't look at the buildings too much while passing through town! It looked like any small town that could use some money. We stopped at an ocean overlook, the parking lot of a church in town, and the lighthouse. The tour operators were friendly and polite, and gave info about the area whenever we stopped. There's not much to see, but we enjoyed it.

We just returned last weekend and we did the Dune Buggy Safari while in Grand Turk. Some of the drive was off road and some was in town. It was a fun way to get around the island, driving the 2 person buggies on the left side of the street. There was not much to see as the island is pretty undeveloped. Honestly I was concentrating on driving on the wrong side of the street and didn't look at the buildings too much while passing through town! It looked like any small town that could use some money. We stopped at an ocean overlook, the parking lot of a church in town, and the lighthouse. The tour operators were friendly and polite, and gave info about the area whenever we stopped. There's not much to see, but we enjoyed it.

This sounds very typical of Provo, the largest island in the Turks and Caicos too. This is without a doubt a beach/snorkel/dive stop.

We just got back from GT and did the dune buggies and all I can say is that DH and I (and the couple we did this tour with) thought it was the most fun you could have for $99... what a ride! :D No, the town isn't big or overly picturesque BUT the water around the island is gorgeous, you do some serious off-roading and the folks on the tour buses and the guys trudgin' around looking hot and bedraggled all looked like they wished they were with us!! I give this tour a huge 10.. right up there with America's Cup Race in St Maarten... but tour office says it sells out online way ahead of time AND only 20 people (40 total) per day can do it.. if you are game for some fun and wanna see this island... do it...

plus this is a first rate tour op....

• 2 weeks later...

Dune buggies are automatic transmission... they go off-road and it's "bumpy" but not uncomfortably so.. and there is a fair portion that is on road going out to the historic lighthouse.. Most of the off road stuff is sandy and not rough terrain like you'd find near here (NC).

• 3 weeks later...

You are in a "caravan" of 10 buggies (or that was how many when we were there)... There was one boy in our group but can't remember age.. I think the website may say if there is an age restriction? As long as he's big enough for seat belt to fit snugly I would think he would find this a grand adventure! Lots of off-road..no beach stops but plenty of others..

We just got back from GT and did the dune buggies and all I can say is that DH and I (and the couple we did this tour with) thought it was the most fun you could have for $99... what a ride! :D No, the town isn't big or overly picturesque BUT the water around the island is gorgeous, you do some serious off-roading and the folks on the tour buses and the guys trudgin' around looking hot and bedraggled all looked like they wished they were with us!! I give this tour a huge 10.. right up there with America's Cup Race in St Maarten... but tour office says it sells out online way ahead of time AND only 20 people (40 total) per day can do it.. if you are game for some fun and wanna see this island... do it...

plus this is a first rate tour op....

Caroline, it says above in your review that you paid $99 for this excursion. Is there a reason why Princess is asking $199 for it? Is it because you booked through a different cruise line or because you didn't book it through the cruise line at all? Any info would help.

Justin

I just got back from my cruise which went to Grand Turk. We paid $99 apiece for the dune buggy with Carnival. It is worth every penny and more. The driving experience itself is really cool and why I booked, but combined with the fact that you end up seeing most of the island makes it a great excursion. There are many interesting things that you see along your way.

Justplayhockey61:

The price from Carnival is $99.00 per person. Princess books their excursion per buggy at a cost of $199.00 for the two passenger buggy. No difference if you get two people to go. Not such a great deal if you want to go by yourself and drive.

• 4 weeks later...

If HAL works the same as Princess, the cost is $199 per dune buggy not per person. The expectation is that each buggy would carry two people. I'm guessing if you paid for two buggys, $398, nothing would stop you from having one person in each.

I'm wondering how big these buggys are. I'm 6' 2" and was curious how comfortable it would be to ride in one for the duration of the excursion.

I did find a pic of one if anyone is intersted. Give this link a try...

http://www.grandturkcc.com/shoreex/images/DuneBuggySafari.jpg

I'm also curious how strict the weight restriction is. Between the two of us, my husband and I make the weight limit, but we don't individually.

Anyone know how this is enforced or have any idea whom we might ask?

Thanks,

Michele

• 4 weeks later...

Archived