switch hump to aft?

I have a nice hump on Deck 8 on Explorer. A corner aft on Deck 7 has opened up (7688). THey are both D1s and Ive heard so much about aft, however, this is also my first hump cabin.

Any ideas?

Is the Deck 7 hump a good one, or does it lack privacy? Is it a long distance from the balcony to the edge of the ship?

I know this opportunity won't last so I need to act soon.

PLUS my TA is out of town --on a cruise!!!:eek: :D

I love aft balconies on Vision and Radiance class ships. No obstructions. Not a big fan of aft balconies on Voyager class as they all have metal structural beams crossing in front of these balconies. Deck 7 is less desirable than deck 10, as 10 has fewer beams, is covered (thus no soot), and is high enough that the projection aft on deck 6 doesn't have much impact on the aft view. Deck 7 doesn't look straight down to the water, but straight down to that metal projection of deck 6. I've had a deck 7 hump as well as aft balconies. I'd keep the hump.

That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll stay put. Thanks so much!

PS. Which class of ship do you prefer? The only time we ventured off Voyager class we went on a 3 day on the Majesty and were a little disappointed. I've wondered about the Radiance class.

We had a JS guarantee booked for the Enchantment for this May and ended up being assigned a corner aft on deck 7 (I think it was #7166).

We sailed last year on the Serenade in a corner aft - deck 7 and disliked it so much we changed our corner aft for the Enchantment to one mid-ship - and it's not even a hump cabin, just mid-ship.

This should be decided based on what your priorities are. Will the long walk bother you? That was our reason for changing. It's a LONG walk many time per day. And if you ever forget something and need to go back to your cabin to get it, you will be cursing the whole way if you have feet or back problems.

I really don't understand the appeal of the view from the aft. I would much prefer to gaze at calm water on at-sea days, with the possibility of seeing flying fish than churned up water at the back of the ship. Add to that the convenience of being closer to most things on the ship and I wouldn't even consider changing from a hump cabin to an aft one.

I have heard of people loving or hating aft cabins. I have never seen anyone on these boards say anything negative about a hump cabin. I'd go for the "sure thing".

Keep the hump! I visited a friends room on deck 7 hump on the Navigator--loved that balcony! We were in an aft on the 6th deck---there was a constant vibration that woke me up thinking of earthquakes! Also it was a long ways to the back. The balcony is alot bigger tho.

Just to be clear: 7688 is NOT a D category cabin. It's an E. How many will be in your cabin? If only two, you may not care; if three, you will feel the difference in square footage.

I've been in 7688 on the Explorer twice. (and 7388 on Voyager, mirror-image identical, once) We never experienced any soot on our balcony. Although you can't peer down at a 90 degree angle from the railing of your balcony into the wake, you can definitely see it and feel that you are serenely at the aft of the ship, enjoying peace and quiet AND THE LARGEST BALCONY ON THE SHIP.

The fact that it is a "long" walk back to your cabin means that people who don't "belong" there rarely go back there. It's much quieter and more private, even in the hallways. And after all, isn't it good to walk off those extra calories from constant cruise eating?

The metal superstructure on Deck 7 never bothered me. You have plenty of "viewing" space, and the size of your balcony will blow you away. I'm an the wrong computer to give you the links, but Bonnie Voyager has fabulous photos for the aft of Voyager class ships. Do a search on it, or I'll come back later and post them.

http://community.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

This is a link to my Voyager-class aft photo gallery. 7688 is primo property! Odds are someone has already snapped it up by now, but at least you can check out the photos and see what the aft balconies are like for future reference! Keep in mind that every deck is a bit different and the corner balconies are different than the center balconies. I am sure you will enjoy your aft balcony. Many folks rave about them. I am an "after" though, so no humps for me! I have to be able to watch the beauty of the wake when I sail! ;)

Now I'm confused again. What about what the other poster said about engine vibration, and also someone mentioned the soot thing. But your pictures are awesome and the balcony looks huge. Of course this is my first "hump"cabin, so I'm comparing it to the regular balcony, but STILL!====

Any other thoughts, words of wisdom? Neither one of us mind the walk.

:confused: :D

Krazy4kruzin I had 7688 on the Mariner. It was by far the best cabin I have ever had. the balcony was HUGE. 2 lounge chairs 2 regular chairs and a table. Sitting out there watching the wake was unbelievable. You are on a corner so you can also look out the side of the ship. I have also had a hump cabin. It was nice and convenient. Near the stairs and elevator and centrally located. The aft is a bit of a walk but I know that the exercise is definately needed on a cruise. I would stay in 7688. It is the biggest balcony on the ship. I Never had vibration or soot. you will be very happy with it.

Good Luck

Sue

We have booked our first aft corner cabin on deck 8 of Navigator for next spring. I am a little worried about feeling the motion of the ship. The last time we sailed on the Navigator we had an OV on deck two. I never felt the motion at all there. Can those of you who have already done the aft on voyager ships tell me if we should move or keep it?

I have to say, I'm very confused about this issue now. I was convinced that I wanted an aft. I planned a last minute trip and ended up with a hump on the Radiance and it was great. It was the perfect location and the balcony was larger. I have an aft for the next trip, but think I'd be just as happy with the hump....

Well, I guess I'll just mess around and worry about it until the cabin is snapped up. I asked DH about it, and he really doesn't care about a balcony, but he does care about location, so I think I'll keep hump and be happy. But I also plan to loiter around when the cleaning crew is around just to get a peek at the aft. We're going to be taking pleny more cruises, so I'll have other opportunities.

Thanks so much for everyone's help.:D :D

You are going to love your hump cabin and you will have an awesome time! I wouldn't sweat this decision for a minute! And this statement is coming from the President of the After's club ;) ! I have been fortunate in that I have sailed in some really awesome cabins but I can tell you that I would happily sail in the broom closet if that was all that was available! I have sailed in inside cabins, promenade cabins, outside cabins, cabins on the bow of the ship facing forward, balcony cabins on the side, balcony cabins on the stern (aft), suites on the stern (aft) suites on the side, and once even sailed in the "Penthouse suite" (on a different cruiseline) and I can honestly tell you that no one cruise stands out above the others! My cabin location truly didn't make that much of a difference in my enjoyment of the cruise! It did dictate the dynamics of my cruise...if i sail in an inside cabin I don't spend much time in my cabin but if I have a balcony I do spend time in the cabin...if I have a HUGE balcony I spend tons of time on the balcony! But, regardless of time spent on the balcony, no one cruise has been better or worse than all the others! They have ALL BEEN GREAT!!!! And yours will too! You will LOVE your hump cabin! And, if your hump cabin is a D1, it will be larger than 7688's cabin! So, you don't need to worry about this decision at all! And, as you said yourself, there will be plenty of chances to check out an aft cabin! Enjoy!!!!

krazy4kruzin, You are quite welcome! I'm glad I was able to calm your worries. I often wonder if in our zealousness to share our love for a particular thing (ie, aft cabins, hump cabins, etc...) we aren't doing a disservice to the many innocent people who read those posts but DON'T have an aft cabin or a hump cabin and never will have one. I would hate to think that I had somehow diminished their excitement for their cruise because now they are thinking that their cabin is somehow inferior. A cruise is such an awesome experience and is probably one of the few places where you can truly have a champagne experience even if you are on a beer budget! There is nothing like a cruise!!! :D

I totally agree with you as to how much time you spend on your balcony vs. how big it is. Our first cruise on Princess, albeit we were in a mini-suite, we didn't spend so much time there because on Princess, the suite balconies are arranged stadium-seating style. People in the upper decks can look down onto your balcony. Hated that. With RCCL, that's not the case. We upgraded to a Jr. Suite on Voyager and that was the best money I ever spent. That was when a suite was a suite. And we spent a lot more time on the balcony. On Brilliance, we had aft cabin 9256, and it being a corner cabin, with a huge deck, we spent TONS of time out there. But watching the wake of the Brillance might have had something to do with that also. Our next one, next February, we've booked a corner aft Jr. Suite on the Jewel. So, now what do we do?? Do we spend our entire waking moments on the balcony :confused: or do we walk the ship and explore??;) Well, we won't spend QUITE that much time there, but I can definitely see an extended stay out there.

Krazing4Kruisin, whatever decision you come to you won't be sorry. You're on a cruise.

Mike!!

Hi Bonnie,

I just lucked out this morning by pulling up this thread !

Your pictures and comments have been the most informative I have seen!! A Big Thank You!!!

Here are my questions:

I will be traveling with my SIL and Mother. First time on RCCL (Voyager Class) although we've been on Celebrity, HAL, Disney, & Princess. Have stayed in a variety of cabins from inside to suites, but mostly with our immediately families...not just the 3 women together.

We have no mobility issues, so distance is not a problem.

We have the choice between the following two cabins on Mariner...

7628 E1 (is this considered a HUMP?) and 7394 (center aft Junior Suite). Price difference is $250 pp. Corner aft cabins are not available for our particular sailing. I must book by this evening.

Which would you go for and do you have pictures of the E1 category?

You are appreciated so very much!

If all you personally are going to have to pay extra for the Junior Suite is $250 (assuming the other ladies will pay their own way and they will each pay an extra $250) then for me there would be no question about it! I'd take the aft junior suite! You will be so much more comfortable in the extra space since it is 3 ladies travelling together versus a family of 3 (mom, dad, and child). You will feel much more like you are able to have your "own" space and the bathroom will be larger too (which is a HUGE plus with 3 adult women!!!) And, of course, the big bonus here will be the extra large balcony that will hold the 3 of you very nicely!!! Yep, that's what I would do! Now, if you are funding the entire cruise and choosing the aft Junior Suite is going to set you back $750, then I would select the E1 hump cabin and just be prepared to bump into each other! ;) But, I am assuming you like both of these ladies or else you wouldn't be cruising with them so the closeness in the smaller cabin shouldn't be too hard to deal with. Good luck deciding!

Bonnie,

Sold! Yes, that's the way that I was leaning. We will be splitting the cost of the stateroom 3 ways...so I felt like the JS was the way to go.

Now here's another one for you...

Would you book the JS on Deck 7 (center aft) or JS Deck 9 (somewhere on the hump)?

Any concern with that metal decking below or views of the crew area on Deck 5 if your choice is the aft on Deck 7?

I was thinking about starting a thread entitled "ASK BONNIE..." lol!:p

You're SO good!

THANK YOU!

I think I would probably go with the JS on the hump in this scenario. All things being equal (we are comparing JS deck 7 aft to JS deck 9 hump) I think I would prefer to avoid the whole issue of the obstructed view from the center of deck 7 aft. In a JS hump cabin you will have nearly as large a balcony as in deck 7 aft and no issues at all with the view. This is certainly not to say that I would not choose a JS on deck 7 aft! If we were comparing a JS on deck 7 aft to a regular balcony on the side I would go aft! But a JS on the hump in my opinion is perhaps a tad preferrable to the deck 7 aft JS. Okay, did that make things even harder for you? I hope not!

By the way...I am leaving in the morning for a Disney vacation for 9 days so I won't be on the boards for a while! I hope no one thinks I am ignoring them if I miss some questions while I am away! :eek: If any of you kind folks notice someone looking for me, please let them know I'll be back 4/23/06! :D

Archived