Are we OVER dressed?

I am taking my mother on her first cruise for her birthday. Granted, it is only the 3 day Monarch from LA to Ensenada but it DOES have a formal night and it is her first cruise. I am trying to expose her to cruising the RIGHT way so I told her to take nice clothes for dinners. She has a wonderful outfit for formal night, so that is not an issue. But for the other two nights she is wearing linen slacks, silk tops, flowing prints, and what some would call "resort-casual". Basically very nice resort wear for her. I will be wearing linen slacks and designers long sleeve shirts myself on non-formal nights, although shorts and Hawaiian shirts during the day.

I don't mean to sound "stuffy" here (although I know I do:cool: ) but I'm wondering if we should even bother trying to look nice on the 3 day Monarch?? I feel like at least we will FEEL our best even if 99% of those on the ship never bothered, but I also don't want to feel out of place. We will take our formals no matter what as I think that is great! But I might as well wear shorts or jeans the rest of the time if that is the feeling the other two days...........HELP!!!.....I need to know what to pack:(

We went on a short Sovereign cruise a few years ago and never felt it was less casual. We dressed like we always had on a 7 nighter. We always wore tux/long dresses and very nice attire for casual dinners, just like we'd wear at home for a night out to dinner...SO NO you're not overdressed in my opinion! Have a great cruise.

I dress up on cruises and get a lot of compliments. There will be so much of everything there. Some people in stuff like I am wearing right now (super casual) and some dressed up. Your clothes sound fine.

I dress for dinner every night and go formal on those evenings.

My mom cruises often and does the same.

I enjoy dressing for dinner and find it to be a large part of my enjoyment of a cruise.

Same here!

No, I don't think one can ever be over-dressed for a cruise, regardless of how many days.

You will be very appropriate. The dining room is a lovely room and the servers are in uniform. The table settings are very pretty, the service is outstanding. It is elegant even on casual nights, so why would you worry?

Now, I try not to judge people by the clothes they are wearing, but I do wonder why so many people want to go so casual for dinner on a cruise ship. I've always thought of it as an upscale vacation, something you dress for. I have met people underdressed (according to "code") and still had a lovely time with them.

For those who state they want to be comfortable, my dressier clothes are comfortable, I buy them to fit. If a person is uncomfortable, perhaps they are wearing the wrong size.

Your clothes sound great, you and your lucky mom will have a very memorable experience.

On a 3 night cruise, you will see people dressed from very casual (formal night) to ultra formal (every night). For a 3 night cruise, I tend not to overpack and will put everything I am taking in a carry-on bag (no checked luggage). You can't believe how easy disembarkation is without worrying about finding & dealing with checked luggage.

To accomplish this, I wear a nice dress shirt and Docker pants on the arrival flight and immediately change into shorts once I'm checked into my cabin. I then immediately send my travel clothes to the cleaners so they're back the next day in plenty of time for dinner. I slip on a tie, skip the jacket and I'm set for dinner.

Happy Cruising!

Steve

In Jan we did Mariner and it was our 5th cruise. I was so not into dressing anymore. But I did bring 2 formals but just not the most formal ones i have like in the past. I packed a nice pair of jeans, and YES i wore them on casual days...and honestly...loved not having to pack so many things. I loved the idea of casual. I loved dressing in the past but now, just too much to bring for 4 of us...this is nicer. But you should wear what you want. No one cares. Be happy it is your vacation!

Archived