Summit Vs Century?

SusieV

We took our honeymoon on Summit last year and loved it, and we're planning on booking a short cruise for our second anniversary next year.

Will we enjoy Century as much as we did Summit?

Also, because of finances we will not be able to enjoy the luxurious CC cabin we had last time... is there a difference between the inside cabins or are they all roughly the same desirability?

Can anyone recommend a nice but inexpensive hotel in the Miami area that is located near attractions? Shuttle service to the airport would be nice too. Suggestions for excursions in Key West and Grand Cayman are welcome, as well as things to do in Miami!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Century is one of my favorite ships. And with the big facelift/modifications in that she will be getting later this month and in May, I am sure she will not disappoint you.

As far as inside cabins go, they are all pretty much the same with their location being the only significant difference. I would concentrate on getting a mid-ship, quiet location. If you join the repeat cruisers club (aka Capt Club), you will also get a free one category upgrade for your inside cabin.

Hi SusieV, long time no see. We were on the Summit with you but didn't see you (guess your honeymoon got in the way :D ). Glad to see you are planning another cruise. I've never been on the Century but have been on it's sister ship the Galaxy. Although I prefer the Summit over the Galaxy the differences are minor and largely due to the Summit being newer and larger. I've booked the Galaxy out of San Juan for next March (perhaps you should take a look at that) as it's a great deal and also 10 days.

As far as the inside cabins, it will be tough to go from a CC to an inside but it can be done (and the $ savings are huge). My wife and I generally go for an inside due to the $ we save. This allows us to cruise almost every year.

Take a look at it (Galaxy, march 16th) and let me know what you think.

As far as this class vs. the Millenium class, don't worry. Both are great.

Hi Rick,

Yup, honeymoons can do that :)

I'd love to take a longer cruise but unfortunately it doesn't fit into our schedules right now. We took time off from school to get married so things were flexible- unfortunately next year we have to go specifically during the week of February 19, and we have to be back for class on Monday :P Oh well, it should still be really nice to get away although it hurts going from CC to inside, definitely.

The Galaxy sailing looks great, though... wish we could swing it!

Hi Susie:) I guess a Happy Anniversary is in order...was last month

1 year? Congrats:D

As for Summit and Century, I have also sailed both and enjoyed

both ships very much. Actually Century is my favorite. We are all

different people with different tastes. I have done both inside

and CC class.....and window too.

I truely don't stay in my cabin so an inside is fine with me (as well

as the price).

I will be on Century next year (4th time) and will see all the differences

then....I hope her BIG Drydock won't take away her ambiance!

Anyway, I recommend Century to you in a heartbeat:)

We would pick Century over Summit. We have sailed on both and Century is my favorite ship. The smaller ship even has an extra lounge that we enjoy for meetings and parties. We also generally take insides so that we can cruise more often. We will be on Century again for the crossing this fall and when we look at next year... we will start with the crossing and cruise most of the new itineraries....(I wish)

I was born in Miami and have lived in Florida my whole life so I can give you my opinion on a couple things.

February is peak of the tourist season in Florida. Not good if you're on a budget. Don't expect and great deals on hotels or anything else there. Are you renting a car? If not you will probably want to stay somewhere near the port (downtown Miami). A couple thing to do around there- 1) Bayside, it's an outdoor mall with a good view overlooking the bay. Free live music on weekends. Store, restaurants, Hard Rock Café are there. 2) Parrot jungle. Tourist trap near the port but very entertaining. Has been in Miami at a different location for probably 50 years. Recently moved to a location on the MacArthur causeway between downtown Miami and Miami Beach. 3) South Beach. Go there on the weekend if possible. Great for people watching. Lots of nightlife. Check menu prices before going in to eat. What looks casual there may be quite expensive. Suggested restaurant is Joe's Stone Crab. Been there forever, moderate prices.

Grand Cayman Island- 2 best things to do there is diving or going to Stingray City. You do not need to dive or know how to swim at Stingray City, it's a sandbar and you can touch bottom. Must take a boat there. You can save money by booking before you leave on-line. Don't miss it. Check Grand Cayman forum.

Key West- Ship docks near the heart of Key West so there's plenty to do just walking around. Find the La Concha Hotel down Duval Street and go to the top. Great view for free. If you want to take a tour the Conch Train is probably the best. It takes you for a narrated tour, but you can't get off and get back on. On the Old Town Trolley you can get off, at like Hemingway's House or the lighthouse and get back on, but I don't think the tour is quite as good. Either is about $20, can be bought on the ship or if your not sure if you want to go, don't buy on ship, there are plenty of places to buy near ship, you'll see.

One last thought is you are buying well in advance so the difference in price of an outside and inside cabin is not that great. I like an outside cabins much better. The Century is currently getting verandas. I am booked in November to Jamaica and Grand Cayman. Made reservations a couple months ago, they dropped the price $50 for 1 week, I called them and they corrected my price. So check every week for price drops.

Have fun!

Hi Susie !

We are always very happy on Century. She is one of our favorites. We were on her a month ago, and had a fantastic time. I am sure she will be even better, when her refurbishment is completed next month. Don't worry. You will have a great time on her.

Archived