What is your all-around - most favorite HAL ship?

5 in OK

Although we have only sailed on the Volendam, Veendam and Ryndam, our favorite has been the Volendam. Of the three ships, it had the only circular Crow's Nest Bar giving one the ability to look out over the bow while sitting on the backside of the bar at cast off time.

And, Richard says it was the only one to have consistant "twofers" time!

I would have to say it's a toss up between the Rotterdam and the Amsterdam ... the co-flagships in HAL's fleet.

I prefer the smaller ships and these two are just the right size ... not too small, but not overly big either. I would like to try the Prisendam one day ... as that is the smallest ship in HAL's fleet. Maybe next year.

The ships I don't like are the Vista class ... too big for my tastes ... too many fellow passengers ... way too much walking to get from point A to point B on the ship.

Sadly for me, though, big is the way the cruise industry is going, and I worry that one day it will get to the point that if I want to sail, I will have to do so on a "mega" ship. That's the day I will probably stop cruising.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Okay - I gave only 1/2 point to a ship if the vote was split between two ships.

So far...

Volendam has come up with the most votes.

Statendam is a close second.

Rotterdam is third.

I've already begun my surfing to find a Volendam, Statendam or Rotterdam cruise!!!

We really loved the Oosterdam, but maybe part of the memories of her are colored by the beautiful Mediterranean cruise we took as her third cruise in the inaugural year. Everything- staff, ship, food, service- all excellent.

Second would have to be the Rotterdam VI, and she would probably be first except that there is no real hydrotherapy pool on the ship- just a large whirlpool tub that was installed recently in the forwardmost part of the gym and somewhat affects the view from the Crow's Nest above. I LOVE that pool on the vista ships. Everything else about the Rotterdam is perfect and the size is wonderful.

The Prinsendam gets our vote as our favorite HAL ship, but the Amsterdam is not far behind-like them both very much-but, the intimate feel of the the Prinsendam makes the difference.

Hey Bill, are you back from Holland, your rijsttafel and your river cruise? Had a good time?

It's hard to choose! But I have to pick the Oosterdam. Just a wonderful ship all the way around.

Though I did love all the open forward deck space on the Veendam. It's more accessible than that of the Oosterdam...

Archived