All Things Carnival Spirit

sea_u_onboard

I know there is a thread currently on the board about the Carnival Spirit - but it was asking only a couple of questions. I thought it might be nice to have one thread about "All Things Carnival Spirit".

So I'll start out with the ones from the other thread by Kevin - just so we cover all the bases and I'll add a few of my own. I'll post a link to this thread on that thread so the 2 are tied together.

1) Cell phones - Which ones work in-network / out-of-network / roam / Which ports? Some of this was answered on the other thread - but please repeat here if you already responded.

2) Formal nights - Glacier Bay / Northbound / Southbound

3) Balcony Dividers - Do they open / is it first come first serve / limited?

4) Entertainment - How early do the shows start? Do they have shows while in port?

5) Tendering - Is Sitka the only tender port?

6) Nauralist - How was the naturalist? Informative? Did they talk through the intercom system? Could you hear it on the balcony?

7) Obstructed Balcony - I understand that cabins 5142 - 5167 have the taller lifeboats and the view isn't that great. How about cabin 5168? (Someone asked me and I thought the taller one would still be in the view if looking forward.) What about the cabins from 5224-5245 - these look like they have a "larger overhung rom the extended cabins above - is this an illusion or is there really more cover on these balconies?

8) Dining Time - Which is the better dining time? We always get early but wondering if late would be better since we are in port for so long - but then again we may be ready to get on the boat and eat. Comments would be appreciated.

9) PLEASE - Can someone scan the Capers for a Southbound cruise (2006) after they go? Or can copy and mail to me (I'll reimburse postage).

ANYONE ELSE?

I can answer some Spirit questions - Sailed June 8, 2005 Southbound.

1) cell phone reception - Juneau & Ketchikan had good reception with USCellular. I didn't try in other ports.

2) formal nights - Seems like they were the 'sea days' on our southbound last year.

3) balcony dividers - Some open, don't know specifics.

4) entertainment - We enjoyed the comedy shows, didn't attend 'broadway/vegas' style. No problem getting to them following the early dinner seating... however, I much prefered seeing scenery to the shows.

5) tendering - We 'skipped' Sitka on our sailing, and I won't go into all that here and now, but most passengers also tendered into Ketchikan as a result of the same incident that required we skip Sitka and College Fjord.

6) naturalist - Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Michelle was her name, and she pointed out many highlights, not only wildlife/marine-life, but historical sites and points of interest we would've had no clue about otherwise. She was only faintly audible in the cabin, but balcony and public areas were loud and clear. She could probably sell me on the Spirit again, and that's saying something:).

7) obstructed balcony - I would not hesitate to again book the partially obstructed view balcony on the upper deck that we had. We had 5190 and the lifeboat didn't bother us in the least. The bump-out next to us was more of a problem than the lifeboat. My pictures are here http://sym1966.mysharedphotos.com/

with pictures of Ketchikan taken from the balcony on page 4, lower left hand corner - click on any picture to enlarge.

Have you tried a search in the cabin selection section of the board using the number of the cabin you're interested in?

8) dining time - we had early, and if we didn't make it back in time, we just went to the buffet. Once we got back late, and we were seated at late seating with no problem. Dining room staff was very accomodating! To be honest, food was the least of my concern while in Alaska.

9) Capers 2006 :) - hope someone can help you.

6) Nauralist - How was the naturalist? Informative? Did they talk through the intercom system? Could you hear it on the balcony?

Just noticed I spelled Naturalist wrong - Oh well.

Anyone be able to answer the question about the balcony overhang?

I called Sprint last night to check. They said they had analog roaming in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and Anchorage. The rep then checked my plan and I have free roaming which would cover those charges. I'm not sure how the reception is but I feel better knowing I can check on my Mom while I'm away. I also asked about calling from Vancouver. The rep said I could add that for $4.00. She said to allow about 5 or 6 days for the plan to start coverage. I wasn't sure if it was worth it but our sons are coming in on different flights. If there's a glitch, I'll want to be able to call.

Does anyone know how to make landline calls from Canada? Can you use calling cards?

I think it would be very helpful to future cruisers if we could get people to share their cabin pictures, mostly those cabins that offer something different than the standard inside, balcony, or balcony view. I am thinking of the various 7A class cabins as they have different obstructions and I haven't found a site which gives a good picture of the particular obstruction. There are also cabins with extra large balconies or extra small, etc, etc. We might be able to make better choices if we have good photos.

Thanks all.

I think it would be very helpful to future cruisers if we could get people to share their cabin pictures, mostly those cabins that offer something different than the standard inside, balcony, or balcony view. I am thinking of the various 7A class cabins as they have different obstructions and I haven't found a site which gives a good picture of the particular obstruction. There are also cabins with extra large balconies or extra small, etc, etc. We might be able to make better choices if we have good photos.
I have a variety of cabin photos in my Spirit Group WebPage. A lot of the 7A - since this is what I have. I got them from webshots. Visit my Spirit webpage - link in signature (you will have to join as I keep it private to keep out spam). Once in you go to Photos and you'll find the cabin pictures.

OK - Another question.

I know from prior cruises you can get Hot Chocolate from room service and the dining room for no charge. Is this true for Alaska also? I've seen people post and say that most the cruiselines charge for it.

I understand if you get it from the coffee shop - I would expect to pay. Is it available through room service? Is there a fee in the dining room.

I plan to buy some during our pre-cruise and just get hot water on board (maybe even a bag of mini marshmallows - :D ) - but it would be nice to know - especially for when we are in the cabin.

Okay...help again.

What are the 'dress requirements' for ladies at dinner? We have late seating but I sure don't want to pack formal wear :confused: - and what about the guys - we are leaving the 17th and seems it will be colder than usual so I am trying to limit packing....help please!!!

Okay...help again.

What are the 'dress requirements' for ladies at dinner? We have late seating but I sure don't want to pack formal wear :confused: - and what about the guys - we are leaving the 17th and seems it will be colder than usual so I am trying to limit packing....help please!!!

Hi, Yellow Rose--I'm from Oklahoma! :)

There are two formal nights, but if you don't want to pack formal clothes, you can just eat on the Lido deck (buffet/pizza/deli). On nights other than the formal nights, you can wear slacks/casual clothes in the dining room. Most people say don't wear jeans in the dining room, but you can wear anything you want on the Lido deck for the buffet. As far as the cold weather, dress in layers so if it warms up during the day you can adjust accordingly.

Have a great time!! You're gonna LOVE IT!! We were on the Spirit last July and will go again in August this year!! :D

Hi, Yellow Rose--I'm from Oklahoma! :)

There are two formal nights, but if you don't want to pack formal clothes, you can just eat on the Lido deck (buffet/pizza/deli). On nights other than the formal nights, you can wear slacks/casual clothes in the dining room. Most people say don't wear jeans in the dining room, but you can wear anything you want on the Lido deck for the buffet. As far as the cold weather, dress in layers so if it warms up during the day you can adjust accordingly.

Have a great time!! You're gonna LOVE IT!! We were on the Spirit last July and will go again in August this year!! :D

Hi Linda!!

Oklahoma must be hot too! We are melting Texas now!

Question - by formal can I wear something like a mid length skirt with a matching jacket? Can hubby wear a suit and tie? This is some trip trying to pack and I read and read the forums! I have the layer thing down though! Thanks and you enjoy your trip too!

linda - THANKS!

Yellow Rose - Formal can range from cocktail dress to ball gown. I wore a nice pant suit on our last one. Guys wore everything from a nice shirt & tie to a full tux. Don't be too concerned about it. Wear comfortable clothing - since you will be stuffed and who wants to be uncomfortable after dinner.

I always take a nice swaeter or throw for my shoulders - the dining rooms are ALWAYS cold.

Saw another generic thread started about Alaskan backgrounds for the photos onboard and thought I would ask it here also - so that we can keep the Carnival Spirit info going.

SO - Do they use Alaskan backgrounds for their photos onboard? I would assume the answer is YES but thought I would ask?

I'm booked on this cruise as well! I could not find a roll call either. Tried to start one on Carnival's new site, but got no response. This trip I am traveling with my 73 year old mom. My DH does not fly and opted out so my mom and I could have some quality time together. This is my first trip to Alaska. We are flying in a few days early and doing some touring on our own.

I am pretty sure there is a laundry room onboard. I'm sure someone at Carnival can answer. We used one on the Miracle and it had washers/dryers/ironing board/iron. I packed detergent in a .50 travel bottle I got at Wal-Mart.

Archived