TSA locks in Vancouver

Cshell5

We got off the Island last fall in Vancouver and used our TSA locks. We did not have any problems - of course they may not have checked our luggage. We used the special that the Island offerred - for $20 or $25 a person, they will take your bags the night before you dock, put airline tags on them, and you pick up your boarding passes on the Cruise Ship before you disembark. They take you on a bus to a special cruise ship security area and you end up coming out at the gates. Great service IMHO.

Can I put a TSA lock on my baggage when I am departing from Vancouver?

Good question but since Vancouver is a Canadian city the TSA is not there. Of course the Canadian govt. has its own rules, so check with them.

Locked luggage is the standard in the rest of the world. Only in the USA do they want you to leave your luggage unlocked. Use the TSA locks, but know that rarely the TSA still cuts them open (I guess when the guy with the special key can't be found). I've lost a few that way - they put the pieces back into the bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Official Response:

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/help_aide/faq.htm#8

8. Should I lock my baggage or not?

While there is currently no legislative requirement to leave baggage unlocked, it may help to speed up the screening process should your baggage be selected for a physical search. In the meantime, if a prohibited item is detected through screening, CATSA will try to match the baggage with the owner and ask that it be opened so it can be searched.

CATSA has never searched any of my bags (the TSA has)

Archived