Don't use Stephan in Raietea

Our group was the group that got Stephan's start for him back in 2004. At that time we picked his tour up at the welcome center and had a wonderful day. It was truly one of the best tours we had ever experienced. We have raved about him over this 2 year period and encouraged everyone to do his tour. Wow, what a difference 2 years make! We had saw a few bad postings about him carrying groups to his private island and dumping them there while he went back to get more tourist. Well, we just thought maybe it was just a one time thing. Were we wrong! First, I had contacted him in March 2005 and booked the all day tour and a 1/2 day tour in Bora Bora. At that time he emailed me and quoted a price for $60. I reconfirmed it twice. I did post when I saw that he was asking more and the replies I got were that he was still charging the $60. Well, we get to the docks, my husband is sick, so we had pretty much decided we would not go on the tour but the rest of my group would go. He immediately remembered me and was speaking English quite well until I confirmed that it was still $60. He immediately acted as if he couldn't understand English. There was a short chubby woman with him and they started speaking French and she said he quoted me $95 and he had already prepared our lunch. First I specifically told him we did not want lunch, and second he never said anything about the $95. This was quite a shock. We had a lengthy translated discussion and she finally said $70pp. Our group decided they would go for that price, but wanted our group in one boat as he had stated in the emails. He agreed and said he would have them back at 3pm. At 3pm I started watching for their arrival. By 430pm I was getting concerned that their boat had broken down and then finally at 455pm I saw them returning. I will let my fellow group members that experienced this long drama finish the story. Let's just say after their experience on this tour we DID NOT take his tour in Bora Bora and would highly encourage others to re-think booking a tour with STephan/Mata Tours. It appears that many times these tour companies forget that tourist are the reason they do so well and that the very same tourist they dump on can also make their buisness suffer. I hope anyone that has a tour booked has a wonderful time, but I would highly suggest that you make sure of the price before getting on his boat, make sure you look at the food he has prepared BEFORE he leaves you on his island, and make sure that he DOESN'T leave you out there for hours by yourself.

Nancy

To continue what Nancy posted. I was on the tour two years ago and was on this tour also. All started ok until we met up with another boat with another 30 passengers. Stephan tried very hard to do the stingray and shark feeding but with 60 people he had a hard time. The stingray feeding was terrible because with 60 people in the water stiring up the sand, you could hardly see the rays. They were not interested in us or the food. Same thing at the shark feeding. About four sharks showed up and they were not hungry. I found out later that he had feed them just an hour before with another group.

We were then taken to the motu and dumped there for two hours. The food we were fed was not good and was cold. When we arrived, the food was already on the tables covered with flies. Nothing was served to drink except water. Stephan left as soon as we were dropped to do another ray and shark feeding with another 30 people. The second group arrived after their shark feeding making the motu packed.

I told Setphan that our group wanted to go snorkle in the coral garden and then return to the ship by 3:00 pm as we requested before we left. The large woman said we could go to the coral garden but had to return to the motu. We got in a big argument. She said we could not return to the ship yet. Stephan left with us in the boat and took us to the coral garden. When we got there, Stephan jumped out of the boat and left by foot to return to the motu, I guess to continue the argument, leaving us there alone. He returned about 45 minutes later and said we could return to the ship.

On the way back we made a stop to gas up the boat and didn't retrun to the ship until 4:45pm. Stephan tried very hard to please us but it was clear that he was no longer in control of his tour. Our private tour with our group of 20 people that was booked months before with him by phone and email turned into a tour with about 60 other people. It is truly sad to see a guy like Stephan who was so good at what he does to have his tour be turned into a cattle call.

It was a very sad day for me to see the disappointment in the faces of my friends who had looked forward to his tour for many months because of my description. It was a shame they had been treated to just another tour rip off. I don't blame Stephan but the tour company.

Mike

Thank you for the warning. I will be on a HAL cruise next February in Raiatea and was actually thinking about booking this tour, now I am not so sure. I guess the tour operators get too greedy and ruin a good thing by booking too many people. When you get off the cruise ship in Raiatea and Moorea, are there a lot of vendors at the dock offering motu excursions?

Thank you for the warning. I will be on a HAL cruise next February in Raiatea and was actually thinking about booking this tour, now I am not so sure. I guess the tour operators get too greedy and ruin a good thing by booking too many people. When you get off the cruise ship in Raiatea and Moorea, are there a lot of vendors at the dock offering motu excursions?

I saw many tour operators in Raiatea and Bora Bora that will take you to the motus, shark feeding and coral gardens for a reasonable price. I didn't see any tour operators in Moorea. When you get off the pier in Moorea you can just take a taxi and go to the Sheraton for snorkeling.

Dot, there are actually many tour operators right inside the welcome center at the pier. You can also rent cars, mopeds, etc there too.

Don't miss the children of Raietea show if they come aboard your ship. They are not to be missed.

I don't think you will have any problems finding something that you will like.

Again, Stephan was great 2 years ago and he may potentially return to that greatness, but like Mike said, if he is now working for Mata tours and if he doesn't own it, then he is at their mercy on what, when, and where he goes and does.

Stephan would be better off working alone and continue to do small groups or indiviual tours. When you take the personal touches out of some of these tours it really affects the way people respond and feel about a tour operator.

NAncy

We where on the 4/09/06 run. We and about 20 others did Stephan in both Raieta and Bora Bora.He was with the whole time on both tours. He delivered a good time for a reasonable price. WAVTAM

I'm glad the 4/9/06 group had a good experience. It was really dissappointing that we had such a wonderful experience the last time and it was to be the highlight of our vacation this time. Oh well, some weeks are better than others. It still beats a day at work!

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from 4/29 cruise, and we did Stephan in Bora Bora. He was excellent, he has a great attitude and the price was good. I think it was 55 but don't quote me on that. I only wish we did his tour on Raiatea because our pick on that island was terrible.

Just got back 4/6/06.

Booked Stephan at the welcome center for Tahaa like others.

Booked for a 1/2 day and asked to stay on the motu while he did the afternoon tour. We had great time. 2 boats we were on the boat with only 20 people ( an outrigger his wife was driving) the other boat had maybe 30.

Fed the rays and he fed the sharks. I believe sometimes it is what you make of it. Some only wanted to watch others like myself participated.

While on the Motu many began to complain when the lunch was over and it was time for them to get out of the sun. So he took the contingent that wanted to go back to the dock after lunch and a little snorkeling. Some of the best snorkeling was right there on the Motu.

Stephans motu is next to Le Tahaa resort. Some went to check it out.

We then booked for Bora Bora on day one for the 1/2 day. We first snorkeld the Coral Gardens and fed a large Moray eel. Some of us would touch or try to feed as he coaxed it from its den. From there we circumnavigated Bora Bora until sunset stopping at a hotel for turtles then more snorkeling at another spot then a picnic on a sandbar as the sunset.

All this on Bora Bora for only $55.00 per person.

A Great time:o . If we go back we will do Stephane Mata's Tour again. By the way his daughter is one of the dancers in the Children of Raitea. It is a small Island and many are related or decendents of the royals.

Hey- Wave Tam. How are you? Are you having as hard a time adjusting to life away from paradise as we are? I think it has taken almost 3 weeks to readjust to the harsh realitys of life back in the states. Can't wait to go back.

OK...my foot is SO bad! (but we will talk about that via email) but happy to hear that you and Trudy had fun...still trying to find your "review" on line..or ?? new problems with the foot from.. not walking on it the "correct way" and etc...etc..etc.. LuAnn

Archived