Mariner Discounts Exist

TedC

It's often said that discounts for Mariners are small or nonexistent. That may be true of some cruises, but not all.

While searching for a 2007 cruise on the HAL website, I found a 28-day cruise in the Med and Black Sea RT from Rome on Prinsendam with $600 Mariner discounts for suites and verandahs.

For other categories check the price with and without your Mariner number.

This cruise also is sold as two 14-day segments.

The cruise, with a very interesting itinerary, leaves Oct. 6, 2007. Some categories are already "closed" - and both dining times are waitlisted, which seems odd this far out.

I'm nearing the end of my rope on Mariner Discounts and Upgrades. The Mariner Society is a joke. You get no benefits even if you are a double platinum holder. ( I did talk to one ) He didnt even show up for the presentation cerimony. They cannot even get orginized. I just got off the Westerdam for a 21 day PC cruise and the mariner society bash was split into two groups -- those with 100 or more days and those with less. I went into the LESS line since it was moving and the captain and hotel manager were there. The 100 and over line sat there and by the time they let everyone in - no one greated them and few seats were still available. So much for loyalty.

The topper is that with 26 HAL cruises my wife and I have never received an upgrade without paying through the nose for it. Talked to another couple who purchased a class VD room for the cruise and were upgraded to an SS ( at NO extra charge ) . On my survey I requested a written response from the company as to exactly what there policy is on upgrades. I have the feeling that I will never hear from them.

With this cruise we saw (1) no flambe (2) no canvas toat bag (3) granted caviar has long since been a dead issue. --- is paying for the chocolate on the pillow far behind??

Princess has an enlightened postion on their loyal customers -- HAL does not.

About the only time HAL offers discounts is on those long 28 day cruises (or longer). But as for doing back-to-backs (have done quite a few) and for 21 and 22 day cruises (have done several of those) - no discounts.

And there really isn't anything special about the Mariner's parties. Having just done a Hawaiian cruise where we had 5 full sea days on our return to San Diego and finding that the Mariner's party was changed fromevening to morning, we have decided that in the future as long as the parties are in the morning, we will no longer be attending them.

With some quick research I found I could save $1,100 per person on the Prisendam in May 2007 through my normal providers. While the $600 per person offered by HAL is nice it's still not competitive with shopping around. I didn't drill through all the details, just compared A category on HAL's site to same category through a couple of my other resources.

With this cruise we saw (1) no flambe (2) no canvas toat bag

Princess has an enlightened postion on their loyal customers -- HAL does not.

We were just on the O'DAm in April. what we did find out about the Tote bags was that the Company in China that was making them told HAL that they shipped them when in fact they did not..So that left HAL short..They at this time are looking for another company to make them..This is information that was passed on to us from Mr. James Deering (HM)

I don't know about other ships but there was a flambe desert very night in the Vista Dinning room..They were doing them by the main walkway leading in and out of the dinning room on the port and starbard sides

I received by snail mail two Mariner flyers with reduced rates on selected itineraries, some offering $250 cabin credit per person for balcony and above, $200 for outside and $100 pp inside. The RATE for those cruises was higher than in the other flyer which had reduced rates of about $100 per person. When I called to clarify this they told me there was yet another flyer I had not received, with more competitive pricing . The Promo codes were ZEB for the onboard credit, and RA and RF. Some of these were for Caribbean sailings which HAL does't usually discount. And no, they were not for cruises leaving in the next couple of weeks or months, either.

The ZEB with onboard credit was for Westerdam 7 day Easatern and 7 day Eastern on Zuiderdam, 10-14 day Carb and Panama Canal wtih onboard credit of $200-400 pp on Noordam, Maasdam, Volendam, Amsterdam 7 Ryndam for October and November.

The reduced fares (not onboard credit) on Promo RF (up to $900 per cabin) were for E Caribbean 7 night Zuiderdam, Noordam; Western Carib on Veendam; Southern on Volendam, Noordam, Maasdam & ryndam, w/longer Southern & Panama Canal on Amsterdam. It also has summer and fall Alaska cruises on Westerdam, Ooosterdam, Zuiderdam, Ryndam, Veendam and Statendam, cruise tours, too. Then Northern Europe Scandinavia & Russia on Rotterdam, South America and Amazon & Panama Canal on Rotterdam and Veendam, Austrailia, New Zealand & Hawaii on Statendam and Zaandam.

And since I haven't yet received RA promo, I can't tell you what is in it.

With some quick research I found I could save $1,100 per person on the Prisendam in May 2007 through my normal providers. While the $600 per person offered by HAL is nice it's still not competitive with shopping around. I didn't drill through all the details, just compared A category on HAL's site to same category through a couple of my other resources.

The Mariner price is just starting a point, but it's good to start at a lower point and work from there.

Totally agree Tedc. I'm one of the less than impressed Mariners who doesn't think the program is really all that much of a big deal. I would be thrilled to get a real Mariner bargain from HAL, one that I couldn't beat in 10 minutes on the Internet or phone with my TA sources. :)

The Mariners programs leave a lot to be desired. Last time we wore our medallions they didn't even take a picture. The time before that they took a picture and offered us the privilege to purchase it. We don't even take them anymore and sail HAL a lot less than we used to.

We have less time on Celebrity and Princess and have many more advantages every sailing.

We have less time on Celebrity and Princess and have many more advantages every sailing.

Yeah, except that you have to sail Celebrity and Princess. :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist. I know you must enjoy your cruises with them, but to me the reason I keep coming back to HAL isn't because of gimmicks like free internet or "priority embarkation". It's for the experience and the service, which I know I can't get anywhere else...)

There is a "mariner discount" on evrey cruise. There is the "brochure rate" and then the reduced "mariner rate". Fortunately for the new cruisers, the mariner rate can be beat with just the slightest effort in checking out various TA's. So for the mariners, if they book with HAL, they will get a "discount", but they will probably pay more than a newbie cruiser that booked through a good TA.

Only have 1 cruise under our belt, so probably don't have too much to add on the repeat cruiser programs. Our last cruise was Celebrity, but have heard so much about HAL and their service......the same level of service for a less $$$, that we figured we would give it a try this Nov. on the Zuiderdam.

For all you "seasoned" cruisers...probably on other lines since HAL doesn't give all that much I hear, Do you really feel that the perks are that much of consideration in booking your next cruise? I was under the impression that "ship feel", itinerary, food service and of course the money, seemed to be more of a consideration. For us newbie cruisers, to accumulate some "TITANIUM" status with a cruise line seems too far down the road to sway me in a particular direction for the added benefit of priority boarding or some non-descript captains welcome party. Or am I missing something? I can understand the sense of loyalty and belonging one can get from a particular ship or crew, but I guess my question is ...... would you sail with that particular cruiseline regardless of the perks. As so many HAL cruisers seem to do.......:rolleyes:

You're absolutely right Boomer, at least for us the Mariner "program" has little to no effect on our choice of cruises or the cruise line. It's really kind of a "that's nice" thing since there really isn't much to the program. We pick our cruises based on cost, itineraries, timing, and, within reason, the cruise line or ship. For instance, we've cruised with Celebrity before, liked the experience and would, given the right combination, take another Celebrity cruise. Has nothing to do with perks or privileges, real or perceived. I guess if I summed it up I'd say that HAL ought to rethink the program and give it some real meaning or drop sending me emails and mailing touting Mariner status and the great deal (non-deal?) they're giving me because I'm a member.

There is a "mariner discount" on evrey cruise. There is the "brochure rate" and then the reduced "mariner rate". Fortunately for the new cruisers, the mariner rate can be beat with just the slightest effort in checking out various TA's. So for the mariners, if they book with HAL, they will get a "discount", but they will probably pay more than a newbie cruiser that booked through a good TA.

When researching a cruise, I find the same thing. I can usually find a rate lower than the marnier rate on Hal's site.

I have taken 5 cruises with HAL. All of them very good. My mom is very loyal to HAL. But we did try a cruise on Celebrity. Mainly because it was roundtrip from San Francisco which is close to home. We enjoyed the cruise so much we decided to try Princess leaving from San Francisco. We enjoyed that cruise also. To me a cruise is what YOU make it. People are going to find faults with any cruise they take if you are comparing cruise lines. I say just go and enjoy yourself. I took a Carnvial cruise and had a awful time and swore I'd never sail with them again. But if a great deal came along I'm would think about it.

Archived