Vancouver Info if needed

I have a few questions. We are arriving in Vancouver on May 26 around 1:00pm and staying at Westin Bayshore. We leave on the Wind on May 28th and plan to board the ship around 2:00pm. We would like to do a whale watching excursion (a couple of threads are saying we won't see whales in Vancouver in May.....is this right?, visit Grouse mountain and possibly a trolley/carriage ride through Vancouver. What is your suggestion for how we should spend our time, ie what should we do with our limited time on Friday and Sunday and how should we spend the bulk of the day on Saturday. I read somewhere about the sunset on Grouse mountian. Is it really nice and would it be possible to squeeze it in either on Friday night or Saturday with other activities. I am not too concerned about restaurants....just activities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is a ferry that runs from Vancouver to Victoria . They spend 4 - 5 hrs looking for whales on the way to Victoria, you get a tour of Butchart gardens and a return ferry to Vancouver in one day. :cool:

There is a ferry that runs from Vancouver to Victoria . They spend 4 - 5 hrs looking for whales on the way to Victoria, you get a tour of Butchart gardens and a return ferry to Vancouver in one day. :cool:

Tylerman's post appears to be May 8, 2006.

I am going to be disembarking in Vancouver on 9/13 and flying out early on 9/14. The decision to stay over was in thinking I could make it to Victoria Island to see the old growth there. I think that was a impulse decision, and now - as I do some reading, it may be an impossible goal. Can you comment on whether there is any way for me to do what I'd hoped of doing? Affordably :)?

I am going to be disembarking in Vancouver on 9/13 and flying out early on 9/14. The decision to stay over was in thinking I could make it to Victoria Island to see the old growth there. I think that was a impulse decision, and now - as I do some reading, it may be an impossible goal. Can you comment on whether there is any way for me to do what I'd hoped of doing? Affordably :)?

That is a pretty tall order. Likely the only way you could do it is to fly on a float plane service from Vancouver harbour to Nanaimo harbour and then rent a car and drive from Nanaimo to Cathedral Grove which is on the highway between Parksville and Port Alberni. Cathedral Grove is a grove of orginial growth that has been preserved. The float plane cost would be about $200 to $250 pp rtn, rental car $75 to $100. Flight time each way 30 mins, dirve time about 1 1/2 hrs each way.

You could get a since of old growth timber in Stanley Park, but a lot was blown in some high winds of Nov, 2006 had there is a lot of 2nd growth timber on the north shore mountains of Hollyburn, Cypress, Grouse and Seymour. All of these mountains you can drive up to except Grouse where you take their Skyride.

We are driving into Canada the day before our cruise. We are thinking of just parking our vehicle across from the cruise, knowing it will cost $134.40 (which includses tax) for the week, so we are looking to find a low cost motel room. It doesn't have to be in Vancouver, but something after we cross the WA border and before we get into downtown Vancouver. What areas are best or which motels?

We are driving into Canada the day before our cruise. We are thinking of just parking our vehicle across from the cruise, knowing it will cost $134.40 (which includses tax) for the week, so we are looking to find a low cost motel room. It doesn't have to be in Vancouver, but something after we cross the WA border and before we get into downtown Vancouver. What areas are best or which motels?

I would probably try a hotel in Richmond. IMHO, the hotels are good value for money there. Richmond is safe, and there are things to do around the area, especially given that you have a car (I would suggest going to Steveston Village - a historic fishing village - if you're looking to do something or would like to have dinner somewhere).

For a motel recommendation, try the Accent Inn Vancouver Airport, which is just off the 99 before you hit the Oak Street bridge which will take you into Vancouver. It's pretty inexpensive for a Deluxe Queen ($119/night, or less if you can get a AAA discount or something). This is a Motel and is therefore considered a budget accommodation. Nevertheless, it is clean and safe.

Here are the trip advisor reviews for the Accent Inn.

THANK YOU! I just called and they even had a parking package, so I grabbed it. They are more reasonable than the other motels I looked at with parking for the week.

I would probably try a hotel in Richmond. IMHO, the hotels are good value for money there. Richmond is safe, and there are things to do around the area, especially given that you have a car (I would suggest going to Steveston Village - a historic fishing village - if you're looking to do something or would like to have dinner somewhere).

For a motel recommendation, try the Accent Inn Vancouver Airport, which is just off the 99 before you hit the Oak Street bridge which will take you into Vancouver. It's pretty inexpensive for a Deluxe Queen ($119/night, or less if you can get a AAA discount or something). This is a Motel and is therefore considered a budget accommodation. Nevertheless, it is clean and safe.

Here are the trip advisor reviews for the Accent Inn.

To anyone who could help:

We will be arriving in Vancouver on Celebrity Millennium on May 30, 2008. We want to store our luggage at Canada Place terminal for the day as we tour the city.

Is there any other transportation from Ballantyne, where we will port, to Canada Place? We would catch a cab if they are available and willing, but wondered if there is a better way to go a short distance.

Thank you so much for your help. We hope to get some good information from someone who knows the city.

I do not know of anything scheduled that runs either ...a cab might take a while so I would suggest while you are waiting that you find the "Cruise Park" shuttle and offfer/plead your needs. They service both piers and their lot is in the middle. Driver might go for it if he can.

We have booked this hotel pre cruise and got good deal. Is it in good neighbourhood and will we be happy. We like good clean hotels without the price tag of 5+ but with some of the pluses! We have booked the Metropolitan for the night before we leave for home. Hope we have done right thing

We have booked this hotel pre cruise and got good deal. Is it in good neighbourhood and will we be happy. We like good clean hotels without the price tag of 5+ but with some of the pluses! We have booked the Metropolitan for the night before we leave for home. Hope we have done right thing

You've made good choices. They are both:

• Rated at the 4* level;
  • Within 5 blocks from the Canada Place cruise terminal (about a 5 minute walk);
  • Pretty centrally located (close to the mall, restaurants, transit, and attractions); and
  • In a good area (you are surrounded mostly by office buildings).

BTW, there is a good fine dining restaurant at the Met if you are in the mood for it. It's called Diva at the Met.

You've made good choices. They are both:

• Rated at the 4* level;
  • Within 5 blocks from the Canada Place cruise terminal (about a 5 minute walk);
  • Pretty centrally located (close to the mall, restaurants, transit, and attractions); and
  • In a good area (you are surrounded mostly by office buildings).

BTW, there is a good fine dining restaurant at the Met if you are in the mood for it. It's called Diva at the Met.

Thank you Orchid72. I looked up trip advisor but it is always better to get iside information. We will try the above restaurant. Again many thabks

Both are very nice hotels in excellent locations. You may find the Le Soleil just a little bit quieter at the end of the business day but there is certainly nothing wrong with the Met. There are 2 restaurants close to the La Soleil, Keg Caesars almost right next door and Hy's which is a great steakhouse about 1/2 block away on Hornby.

Thanks Putterdude

We are in Vancouver 3 nights before cruise and 1 after so we will try both of these restaurants. I am getting soooooooo excited as we have a 12 night journey through Alberta and BC before a 2 week B2B cruise. It is for our 40th Wedding anniversary and I have enjoyed booking all hotels after reading trip advisor. Need to remortgage our house though!!!!! as we are throwing caution to the wind. You can only spend it once and we deserve it after 40 years.

Thanks Putterdude

We are in Vancouver 3 nights before cruise and 1 after so we will try both of these restaurants. I am getting soooooooo excited as we have a 12 night journey through Alberta and BC before a 2 week B2B cruise. It is for our 40th Wedding anniversary and I have enjoyed booking all hotels after reading trip advisor. Need to remortgage our house though!!!!! as we are throwing caution to the wind. You can only spend it once and we deserve it after 40 years.

Well you are coming to see the most beautiful part of Canada and I am sure that you will have a wonderfull time. When you leave Vancouver, about an hour or so after you have passed under the Lions Gate bridge if you look out the starboard side you will see me standing by the barbeque with a drink raised to you your good health.

We received our Vancouver Entertainment book yesterday and was looking at some of the dining deals.

We will be spending Saturday afternoon in Stanley Park and one of the buy one, get one free meals is at The Fish House. How would this place be for lunch?

We received our Vancouver Entertainment book yesterday and was looking at some of the dining deals.

We will be spending Saturday afternoon in Stanley Park and one of the buy one, get one free meals is at The Fish House. How would this place be for lunch?

It is considered a very good restaurant for both lunch and dinner, I hope you enjoy it. Here is a link to their website:

www.fishhousestanleypark.com/

Well you are coming to see the most beautiful part of Canada and I am sure that you will have a wonderfull time. When you leave Vancouver, about an hour or so after you have passed under the Lions Gate bridge if you look out the starboard side you will see me standing by the barbeque with a drink raised to you your good health.

We will be going up from Vancouver on 25th July and coming back in early on the 8th August....so I will look for you on the northbound cruise. Hopefully I will also have a coctail(margeritta) in hand and will toast your good health and hard work on the forum

Thank youicon7.gif

We will be in Vancouver 2 nights before our Alaskan cruise and I'd like to know what is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel (Best Western Chateau) also how far is this hotel is from the pier (walking distance, cab, bus) and if there are any restaurants that will cater to Vegetarians as well as those that like beef and/or seafood, near our hotel. Also I'd like to visit The Butchart Gardens but have no idea how to get to Victoria.(I've never even traveled outside of Australia before) Any help with these Questions would be much appreciated.

We will be in Vancouver 2 nights before our Alaskan cruise and I'd like to know what is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel (Best Western Chateau) also how far is this hotel is from the pier (walking distance, cab, bus) and if there are any restaurants that will cater to Vegetarians as well as those that like beef and/or seafood, near our hotel. Also I'd like to visit The Butchart Gardens but have no idea how to get to Victoria.(I've never even traveled outside of Australia before) Any help with these Questions would be much appreciated.

First of all if you are staying at the Best Western - Chateau Granville I would recommend a change if you can make it. It is at the south end of the Granville St. Entertainment District and can get a bit rowdy at night. The hotel has a bit of a reputation and those who post on this site know I am not a fan of it. As alternatives I would try the Best Western - Downtown, on Drake, Holiday Inn on Howe St., Sandman Inn on W. Georgia St. or Hampton Inn on Robson.

If you decide to stay at the Best Western - Chateau Granville Granville then yes you can walk to Canada Place if that is where you are departing from as long as your luggage is light and you feel you can walk the 12 blocks to the pier. If you are departing from Ballantyne pier then you will need a taxi...cost $12/15.

Yes, most restaurants in Vancouver will have vegetarian menus even those who specialize in meat and fish.

If there are just two of you then the Aiporter at $13.50 pp is likely your best to get from the airport to your hotel. If there are more than two you may want to consider a taxi at a cost of $35/40.

Going to Victoria is a lovely trip but it requires a full day as you go by coach and ferry and if you only have the 2 day in Vancouver I would advise against it only because we can very easy fill your time here in Vancouver.

Things that you would likely care to see in Vancouver would include:

Stanley Park and it's Aquarium

Gastown - where Vancouver Started

Granville Island

Grouse Montain

Capilano Suspension Bridge

Queen Elizabeth Park

VanDuesen Botanical Garden

Maritime Musem

Musem of Anthropolgy at the University of BC

Chinatown

Pacific Centre

Art Gallery

and that's only a begining. Posters on this site will be happy to fill in the blanks as your plans materialize.

Here is the Airporter link: www.yvrairporter.com

Thank you very much Putterdude. I'm going to look into a hotel change as I'm not to keen on the "Rowdy" part or the "bit of a reputation" Although the 12 block walk would not worry me without luggage, I'm not to sure how we will be with a few suitcases to weigh us down. And yes there will just be the 2 of us so the Airporter sounds ok. And as for the gardens, well we will see, as it looks as though time may be a little short.

Thanks again!

Thank you very much Putterdude. I'm going to look into a hotel change as I'm not to keen on the "Rowdy" part or the "bit of a reputation" Although the 12 block walk would not worry me without luggage, I'm not to sure how we will be with a few suitcases to weigh us down. And yes there will just be the 2 of us so the Airporter sounds ok. And as for the gardens, well we will see, as it looks as though time may be a little short.

Thanks again!

It is good walk . It has a number of downhill sections. I don't know what you budget is , but the Bayshore Hotel and the Four Seasons are close to downtown. There is a trolley that runs around the major attractions downtown.

It is good walk . It has a number of downhill sections. I don't know what you budget is , but the Bayshore Hotel and the Four Seasons are close to downtown. There is a trolley that runs around the major attractions downtown.

Thanks for the info doopydozer, I've been looking into a few hotels so far I'm trying to decide between the Blue Horizon on Robson,Delta Vancouver Suites and the Hyatt Regency. Can you give me a hint as to the area that these are in. As long as it's not in a rowdy area, or has a bad rep then I'll be happy, not looking for luxury, just comfort in a nice place. So far these 3 seem to be ok and within our $700 AUD budget.:)