Removing Chairs from Balcony on Diamond Princess

showdog

We are in E731 on the diamond princess. Does anyone have pictures or has anyone recently been in this cabin? We are bringing our own camp chairs with us that recline because they are really comfortable and we've used them before on cruises.

Will the cabin steward remove the chairs that are on the balcony? The last time we asked them to do this they did not want to and we had to beg them to and give him 20 dollars. He acted like he was being totally put out by having to remove them.

Also, if anyone can tell me how long the closet is on the top shelf just in case we bring our chairs and they won't remove them I'm going to put them on this top shelf. They are about 3.5 feet long.

There are 3 of us in the cabin so there is no room under the bed and I don't want to have extra chairs stacked up on the balcony that I'm not going to use.

Any pictures or advice would be great.

Thanks

I'm guessing that they will remove anything that you put on the balcony because of the recent fire. My husband had a pair of shoes that he wanted to dry out on our balcony one morning. Our room steward put them inside our cabin. They do announce that nothing should be put out there.

The closet is large - approx 4 1/2 feet I would guess. Also there is a long shelf above the closet although that is where your life vests and pool towels are stored.

You can probably lean the chairs on the wall next to sliding glass door going out to your balcony. There is also plenty of room under the beds.

Hope that helps.

With the new procedures in place after the Star fire, anything and everything that isn't placed on the balcony by Princess will be removed by the steward during his last turndown of the day. You will not be able to keep or store your chairs on your balcony.

If you ask, your steward should remove the chairs on the balcony that you don't want. Since the Star fire, I don't know if you'll be able to use your own chairs, though.

Will the cabin steward remove the chairs that are on the balcony? The last time we asked them to do this they did not want to and we had to beg them to and give him 20 dollars. He acted like he was being totally put out by having to remove them.

I can understand why a steward would be put out with having to remove furniture that is provided by the cruise line, in favor of some lounge chairs you brought from home. Their job is to clean your room twice a day and not be a moving servant.

First, we started asking stewards to remove food/drink from the mini bar so that we would have room for our own "smuggled" food/drink, then it was open the balcony dividers and now remove deck chairs to make room for our own chairs! :rolleyes: The extra work means longer hours for them and not part of their job description.

What if everyone started bringing their own chairs. Think about how that would "tacky" up the aesthetics of the outward ship appearance. :eek:

I just read a thread that stated a "24" hour watch is on to check balconies for "foreign" objects, so I don't think your chairs have a chance. Save yourself some room and hassle...leave them at home.:)

Does anyone else feel the same as I do?

I found it hard to believe anyone would go to the trouble of bringing their own chairs for the balcony, but then remembered that on a cruise last year I found two passengers had actually bought their sewing machines with them, they spent every sea day in a small room sewing!

As the Scots saying goes "there is nout say queer as folks"

If it is in the cabin I do not bring my own, in fact even if it not in the cabin, I think very hard about packing something big, cumbersome or heavy. but then I often have to fly to join the ship. Even if I use the Cruise Connection bus to Ft Lauderdale, I do not think they would allow a chair. (can you imagine the chaos if everyone of the 2000 passengers brought their own chairs?)

If there is one thing I would ever want to gripe about on Princess Cruises are the pathetic chairs and table on the normal balconies. I know that on cruises a few years ago at least you had a chair that was adjustable. Those $4.99 resin chairs are tacky.

I heard that they have upgraded patio furniture on the Crown, this was on the Crown website, but how upgraded, or did they just opt for other than white plastic. I hope we can get a chaise on the Caribe deck.

Anyone heard what they are having?? Pics???

Haven't read a word about upgraded balcony furniture. Did you see this on the Princess site for the Crown?

I heard that they have upgraded patio furniture on the Crown, this was on the Crown website, but how upgraded, or did they just opt for other than white plastic. I hope we can get a chaise on the Caribe deck.Anyone heard what they are having?? Pics???

I guess I just don't get it. I was shocked when I read the post last week about taking bicycles on board and then asking the cabin steward to find somewhere to store them. Now its lawn chairs. I don't think it should be the cabin steward's responsibility to take care of things like this. They are much too busy getting egg crate mattresses, extra pillows, bathrobes, ice for coolers, lounge chairs for balconies (for those who don't BYOLC) corkscrews for wine, wine glasses, etc. Maybe it isn't really the cruise line who overworks the employees, maybe it is just us.

OMG! I'm LOL over here tonight. Camp chairs? Are you serious??

We had E731 2 months ago on the Sapphire and I cannot imagine having

light-weight camping chairs out there on that Mexico run where it gets

WINDY! Is not the existing furniture sufficient? AFter all, we had two

chaise lounges, two semi-reclining chairs and a table with 2 more chairs

with room to spare! Why not bring your barbecue too? You could troll

for fish because you're on the back of the ship anyway. Get an extra long fishing

line and fry up the fish. Camping at sea. What a concept. Woo-hoo.

Pitty the poor person who started this thread. When it first popped up, I was thinking, people are going to have fun with it, and they sure did.

But, on the serious side, Princess is, as we speak, removing everything on the balconies that are flamable. This includes any plastic furniture, that is not fire-proof, and the plastic partitions between balconies. They will be replacing the furniture and partions with fireproof versions. This is of course, in response to the recent fire on the Star.

There is no way, that Princess is going to allow passengers to bring anything from home to keep on their balcony. This is because Princess does not know the fire resistant capability of these products brought from home. This includes lawn chairs, beer coolers, bicycles, beach towels, surf boards, snorkeling gear, golf clubs, and inflatable dolls.;)

On another site there were serious posts about the "way cool" collapsible TABLES that folks were schlepping aboard the airlines and then aboard ship!

I do think it is legit for the stuff in the mini frig to be removed......especially when there can be confusion over the "bill" for the stuff.

OMG! I'm LOL over here tonight. Camp chairs? Are you serious??

We had E731 2 months ago on the Sapphire and I cannot imagine having

light-weight camping chairs out there on that Mexico run where it gets

WINDY! Is not the existing furniture sufficient? AFter all, we had two

chaise lounges, two semi-reclining chairs and a table with 2 more chairs

with room to spare! Why not bring your barbecue too? You could troll

for fish because you're on the back of the ship anyway. Get an extra long fishing

line and fry up the fish. Camping at sea. What a concept. Woo-hoo.

Sure ... if you have that kind of cabin. Not all of us have the luxury of booking one like that often.

taking bicycles on board and then asking the cabin steward to find somewhere to store them. Now its lawn chairs. I don't think it should be the cabin steward's responsibility to take care of things like this. They are much too busy getting egg crate mattresses, extra pillows, bathrobes, ice for coolers, lounge chairs for balconies (for those who don't BYOLC) corkscrews for wine, wine glasses, etc. Maybe it isn't really the cruise line who overworks the employees, maybe it is just us.
I forgot about all this other stuff! :rolleyes:

I do think it is legit for the stuff in the mini frig to be removed......especially when there can be confusion over the "bill" for the stuff.

As for the mini bar. The main reason that stuff is being asked to be removed is so the passenger can store their own food and drink. I can understand it if you have medical needs, need a place to store baby furniture and maybe even your own bottled water, but for beer, wine, soft drinks and food!:eek: Would you ask the room attendant in a nice hotel to remove all the contents of the mini fridge? No! Those that need the refrigerators stay at the Residence Inn or equivalent motels.

Hmmm...didn't know about this, Tom. Let's hope they had already built the Crown with the fireproof materials.

Inflatable dolls? LOL! :D

But, on the serious side, Princess is, as we speak, removing everything on the balconies that are flamable. This includes any plastic furniture, that is not fire-proof, and the plastic partitions between balconies. They will be replacing the furniture and partions with fireproof versions. ....and inflatable dolls.;)

gooch...For our September 3 Crown cruise, E730 and 731 were only $59 pp more than a BA balcony cabin when I booked in May, 2005. ;)

Sure ... if you have that kind of cabin. Not all of us have the luxury of booking one like that often.

Archived