Removing Chairs from Balcony on Diamond Princess

showdog

I can understand why a steward would be put out with having to remove furniture that is provided by the cruise line, in favor of some lounge chairs you brought from home. Their job is to clean your room twice a day and not be a moving servant.

First, we started asking stewards to remove food/drink from the mini bar so that we would have room for our own "smuggled" food/drink, then it was open the balcony dividers and now remove deck chairs to make room for our own chairs! :rolleyes: The extra work means longer hours for them and not part of their job description.

What if everyone started bringing their own chairs. Think about how that would "tacky" up the aesthetics of the outward ship appearance. :eek:

I just read a thread that stated a "24" hour watch is on to check balconies for "foreign" objects, so I don't think your chairs have a chance. Save yourself some room and hassle...leave them at home.:)

Does anyone else feel the same as I do?

I agree with the advise to leave the chairs at home. I just can't visualize bringing my own chairs on a cruise.

However, I think it's a little excessive to imply that we are asking too much if ask them to remove stuff from the mini bar or open the balcony dividers if we have adjacent cabins.

If everyone aboard the ship were to ask to have their balcony furniture removed to be replaced by the cruisers own lawn furniture, what would the cabin stewards to with all of that balcony furniture? I can see it now, giant cruise ship with a little storage building being towed behind it for all of the furniture!!

I agree with the advise to leave the chairs at home. I just can't visualize bringing my own chairs on a cruise.

However, I think it's a little excessive to imply that we are asking too much if ask them to remove stuff from the mini bar or open the balcony dividers if we have adjacent cabins.

What I was implying is that before these messgae boards became available to cruisers, passengers were happy with the way their cruises went and didn't think about asking for all these extra's (or bringing their own food.) Now that we have these boards, word has spread that we can start asking for all these special services (and I am one of them :rolleyes: !) I am sure the stewards get put out with all the "extras."

RCCl, at one time (and maybe still is) stopped the opening of the dividers. My understanding is that the balcony dividers that have doors were put in place for easier cleaning of decks...not for passenger use.

Celebrity started refusing to empty the fridge. Can we blame them?

It's a common dieting tip to ask to have minibar items removed in hotels to avoid temptation.

Our frig on the Dolphin deck of the Grand Princess didn't have anything in it when we got there. If I recall, there was one large bottle of water for sale on top of the frig cabinet. We didn't buy it and it didn't get in the way.

I understand you wanting to be comfortable on your cruise. I personally think bringing your own chairs for the balcony is a bit odd but each to his, or her, own. However, we are all aware of the fire on the Star and it is very understandable that Princess doesn't want anything out on those verandahs that they haven't put there and that they are going to be extra vigilant about things like that. Knowing this perhaps you would consider forgoing the chairs for this cruise. Then you don't have to worry about what to do with the other chairs that you are provided with and your cabin steward won't have to worry about upsetting you in telling you that they aren't allowed.

When I cruise with Princess I always ask for two chaise lounges for the balcony. The balcony's on Caribe deck seem to have more room on them than most and we just put their two chairs to the side. No cabin steward we have ever had, has not been very accommodating and we tip accordingly.

I understand you wanting to be comfortable on your cruise. I personally think bringing your own chairs for the balcony is a bit odd but each to his, or her, own. However, we are all aware of the fire on the Star and it is very understandable that Princess doesn't want anything out on those verandahs that they haven't put there and that they are going to be extra vigilant about things like that. Knowing this perhaps you would consider forgoing the chairs for this cruise. Then you don't have to worry about what to do with the other chairs that you are provided with and your cabin steward won't have to worry about upsetting you in telling you that they aren't allowed.

Great answer--no smart remarks etc.

I understand that it gets pretty windy on those balcony's and many say that the food in the Horizon Court is very poor, so can I bring a Weber Grill and cookout on the balcony?

I know it also gets pretty windy, so what size tarp should I buy at WalMart so as to provide cover from the elements?

Also, how much money should I give to the room steward for disposing of the ashes from the grill?

Thanks again for your advice. ;)

If you are grilling shrimp kabobs, will you invite your fellow CC'ers? I would love one of those about now. Perhaps your room steward would be kind enough to bring the plates and napkins. Karen :D

I understand that it gets pretty windy on those balcony's and many say that the food in the Horizon Court is very poor, so can I bring a Weber Grill and cookout on the balcony?

I know it also gets pretty windy, so what size tarp should I buy at WalMart so as to provide cover from the elements?

Also, how much money should I give to the room steward for disposing of the ashes from the grill?

Thanks again for your advice. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ya'know, ShowDog asked something that others thought was crazy, but I think ShowDog was serious. First, ShowDog, your particular balcony has wooden furniture, not plastic. At least it did last time I was next door.

Second, I, read, but don't know, that, in some kind of an agreement with some government agency after the Star fire, Princess agreed to remove all that plastic furniture. It was, as people said, to be replaced by non-burnable stuff. I have no idea whether those actions are to be simultaneous or not, but on our cruise at the end of this week (ShowDog's cruise, as well) I'll find out. I sure didn't go to the expense of an extra large balcony that has no furniture at all!

So, while I can empathize with ShowDog about the need for comfortable balcony furniture, I'm not willing to carry camp chairs to use up my valuable weight limit that the airlines put on my checked or carried luggage, which weight limit seems to be getting lower every few months, but is the topic of another thread and need not be discussed here.

ShowDog, if you've survived the pounding so far, we'll see you at the party as we depart Vancouver.

Charlotte

Archived