Tours

Crazy

Do you book your tours on line before you sail or wait until you are on the ship.

I haven't in the past but I am thinking about doing so for my upcoming Alaska cruise.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Emily in Nashville

Both cruises I was on, we booked all of our excursions ahead of time. This was a good thing, especially on the second cruise, because one of the excursions had sold out by the time the ship sailed.

Also, we were able to pay for everything ahead of time instead of putting it all on the cruise account.

We are going on Alaska cruise next month and I booked all our shore excursions ahead. One from a local (ORCA) for whale watching and the rest from HA. Posters had said that the most popular ones may be full by the time you get on the ship. And having them paid for before you leave is a plus.

Shirl

I always book our shore excursions with the cruise line well ahead of time as often they are booked out when one boards the ship.

With private guides I always book many months in advance as the good ones are booked up early.

Jennie

We book our tours on line as soon as possible. In fact we booked our June Alaskan tours last December.

Some tours will sell out before you get on the ship.

One time the Sea Otter and Wildlife tour in Sitka was sold out before we got on the ship. People were stunned to find it sold out. In fact so many people pre-booked it that the tour company sent out extra boats to both our ship and the other ship that was there. Those who thought that they could book it once they got ashore were also disappointed. We had pre-booked ours and weren't disappointed.

Definitely recommend booking ahead of time. Two ports just opened up for excursions for our next cruise. I will be booking at least one tonight. Just waiting for HMC now to get my clamshell.

DD and I book and pay for excursion in advance after months of researching via the sites on CruiseCritic, in the HAL excursion lists, and then doing research on the ports of call.

that is just easier for us, we get to do and see what we want to at each port and less money at one time to fork out.

Kind of a pay as you play experience.

LInda

For Alaska - if you want to do the helicopter to land on a glacier - definately book that ahead.

We were on Celebrity when we went to Alaska and when we were in Sitka - you could walk around by yourself and go to the Folk Dancing show. For the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau - there were city buses that took you there and back for a fraction of the cost.

In Ketchikan we took the cruise tour to Totem Bight - and it was definately worth it - but you could also book right on the dock. Make sure to visit Dolly's House on your own - it is worth the giggles and laughs you will get out of it -

Oy - tell me you are a priest or minister -and I am sending you to a house of Ill Repute!!!

Archived