The Summary of All Luggage Questions

Hello all,

We are headed on the Grandeur in September from Baltimore and we live in Maryland, so we are driving to the port. I've a few questions I hope you can help me with. We've cruised before, but they've all been before 9/11 and we've flown to the departure ports. Here're are my questions:

1. Can we just carry our own luggage on the ship rather than giving it up at the pier?

2. If we have to give the bags up, do we: a)need to use TSA-approved locks, b)leave the bags unlocked, or c)lock th ebags with the locks on them now? We have hard shell luggage, and the locks are in the handle (in other words, padlocks aren't attachable.

3. Can we just keep our bags on the last night and take them off ourselves?

4. Is it relatively easy to get a better disembarking color rahter than waiting until the very last group (since we are driving)?

Thanks in advance.

1. You can carry your bags on, but they have to fit thru the 11" x 17" xray scanner opening.

2. It is recommended that you have your bags locked and it does not matter what kind they are. If for some reason they find something that they need to look at farther, they will contact you and have you unlock the bag.

3. Depends on the ship and port if you can carry them off.

4. Book a fully refundable flight with an early departure to show them you have an early flight. After you get the confirmation paperwork, you can cancel the flight and get your money back.:)

I like the TSA locks myself. I bought a pkg. of 3 for around $5 at Walmart for our last cruise. I did not lock the luggage pre-cruise, but I did before putting them in the hallway the last night. I did call the front office to be sure they were acceptable and was told they are fine. TSA locks are nice at airports because the TSA has a master key. I'm not sure, but I don't think cruiseships have a master key because they are not TSA, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. As Springtxbill noted, they will call you if they have a question and need inside your luggage.

I generally don't lock our luggage for airline travel but it does give me a little extra peace of mind that last night. Although on our recent cruise, we were still up at midnight and I heard the crew out in the hall lugging baggage around so I put mine out and they took it right away. It never sat out at all. Of course I realize, many people are sleeping or out doing the last of their partying, and this would not always be the case.

As far as disembarking, I think they try to have everyone off the ship by 10 or 10:30 anyway - if that is too late, you can always call the desk and ask if you can get an earlier call time. They will do their best to accomodate you, but air travelers will have first priority.

You can also try checking with the front desk a couple days before the end of the cruise to see if they have the departure schedule. It would be alot easier to change times at that point than to wait until the last day when everyone else has the same idea. Never hurts to ask, right! :cool:

If your ship offers a self-disembark option, then you carry your own bags off the ship. It is usually the first people off the ship very early in the morning. This sounds like the best option for you if it is available.

Otherwise, please be patient about when you get off. Usually the assign disembark colors based on flight times, if you are on a tour, etc. They'll let people with flights off first and then usually the rest of the people are assigned times by decks. You can always ask for an earlier time, but don't lie about the reason you want it. Just be honest with them and they'll try to accommodate you if at all possible.

As to getting on board, unless your luggage is small you are better off leaving it with the porters, and it should be locked. All items you carry on yourself have to fit through a scanner like at the airport. Also, you will be waiting in line, going up and down stairs, you won't find it that easy to be carrying your luggage with you through all that. Also, if you board before 1pm you won't be able to go to your room yet so you won't have anywhere to put your luggage until that time.

You don't need to show them anything about your flight plans! (even if you don't have a flight!) About mid-way thru the cruise, they will remind folks who have an early self-booked flight to let them know. Just go to the purser's desk and tell them you have an 11:00 am flight. You will be off the ship in no time.

If you want to carry your own bags off, you can go anytime you want--really--they don't check if you're in the right "color group" !!!!

As far as boarding--if you get there before noon, I'd give my bags to the porter and let them shlepp them around. You may not be able to get to your room until 1pm. If you arrive later--it's your call! The TSA is not responsible for checking bags onto the ships, it's ship security. LOCK YOUR BAGS!! Why make it easy for someone to ruin your vacation!!!??? If you don't have anything "suspicious" they won't ask you to open them anyway. LOCK THEM!!!

I don't know if this is true on all the ships, but the night before disembarking there were rolls of every color tag near the purser's desk. We were a large group and wanted two in the group to get off very first and the rest could go later. We were told that the two of us that wanted to get off first thing could just get the appropriate color from the rolls--which were self-serve.

You don't need to show them anything about your flight plans! (even if you don't have a flight!) About mid-way thru the cruise, they will remind folks who have an early self-booked flight to let them know. Just go to the purser's desk and tell them you have an 11:00 am flight. You will be off the ship in no time.

If you want to carry your own bags off, you can go anytime you want--really--they don't check if you're in the right "color group" !!!!

hate to say something but on the one we just got off they made you prove to them you had a flight to get off early. You had to show your ticket to them to change your leave time. If they take your bags off you need to hold due to the fact your bags may not be out to pick up if you leave before the time called.

As far as boarding--if you get there before noon, I'd give my bags to the porter and let them shlepp them around. You may not be able to get to your room until 1pm. If you arrive later--it's your call! The TSA is not responsible for checking bags onto the ships, it's ship security. LOCK YOUR BAGS!! Why make it easy for someone to ruin your vacation!!!??? If you don't have anything "suspicious" they won't ask you to open them anyway. LOCK THEM!!!

Make sure your bags can fit the machine or you cant take them on yourself. You will have to check them and let the porter bring them to your room.

4. Book a fully refundable flight with an early departure to show them you have an early flight. After you get the confirmation paperwork, you can cancel the flight and get your money back.:)

Why do you recommend lying?

You don't need to show them anything about your flight plans! (even if you don't have a flight!) About mid-way thru the cruise, they will remind folks who have an early self-booked flight to let them know. Just go to the purser's desk and tell them you have an 11:00 am flight.

Why is lying seen as an acceptable method to a non-problem. If the OP is driving, the OP does not need priority debarkation.

First time cruiser here.:confused: Ever since I read that you are required to leave your luggage outside the door on the last night of your cruise, I have been worried. :( What's to keep someone from coming along and taking your luggage and taking it to their room to look through it and take what they want? I know this is the way it is done, but I don't like it.:(

Am I the only who worries about this?:eek:

We took our first cruise last year on Conquest. We never had any problem with people taking luggage and also found that who ever collects the luggage is usually pretty quick to pick it up. Also lock your luggage. (We used electrical cable ties.)--just be sure you have a scissor or nail clipper in a pocket that's not locked so you can get into your luggage when you need to.

First time cruiser here.:confused: Ever since I read that you are required to leave your luggage outside the door on the last night of your cruise, I have been worried. :( What's to keep someone from coming along and taking your luggage and taking it to their room to look through it and take what they want? I know this is the way it is done, but I don't like it.:(

Am I the only who worries about this?:eek:

For some reason, I've never really worried about this. However, anything I have of any value stays with me - all a thief is going to get is a lot of dirty laundry and maybe a few cheap souveniers:-)

For some reason, I've never really worried about this. However, anything I have of any value stays with me - all a thief is going to get is a lot of dirty laundry and maybe a few cheap souveniers:-)
Us too, dirty laundry, lots of it. Never had a problem with luggage outside the door , never heard of anyone that did. You carry your jewelry and meds with you. I guess I am not a worry wart. LOL

If you are diamond or platinum you get early debarkation. Can't answer about carrying on luggage, I don't understand why anyone would want to do that. What is the reason, just curious?

We were on Grandeur out of Baltimore last fall. You were allowed to carry your luggage off and those folks were the first to disembark, followed by Diamond C & A. What happend after the Diamond members disembarked, I don't know. We were in that group, off the ship before 9 Am and at home in VA 75 minutes later.

Just off Sovereign of the Seas last Friday. We took our luggage onboard ourselves and day of debarkation were one of the first off the ship (carrying our own luggage). Had a 30" duffel bag which fit through the xray machine so no problem...Any other questions just ask away Later, Jill:cool: ...

Archived