Ryndam info please

We are thinking about sailing on the Ryndam in January and would like some feed back on anyone who has sailed the Ryndam lately.

We have sailed with HAL numerous times on the Volendam (our favourite),the Rotterdam and Westerdam.

Just any general info, what shape is the ship, any problem areas that should be avoided, and also good things what you really like about this ship.

Also the cruise leaves from Tampa, we have never sailed from there. Any recommendations on hotels?

We sailed for 14 days on Ryndam just last month and loved our time aboard. She is in excellent condition and has been well maintained. We had no problems with a/c and one very brief moment during our whole time aboard when the toilet didn't work. It was fixed in less than an hour. No nasty smells disturbed us and we found that if it moved, 'they greeted it'; if it didn't move, they cleaned it. The ship sparkled it was so clean and the crew was so immensely friendly it was a delight.

The Explorations Cafe is great. The "S" Class Sisters are all wonderful ships IMO If you are familiar with Volendam/Rotterdam, you will find your way around immediately. The main difference is the "S" Class ships do not have the center companionway and elevators.....just the forward and aft but the length of the ship is shorter so I don't find that to really matter.

We think her dining room to be elegant and love the beautiful glass ceiling......I think it is Lalique. I kept meaning to ask and kept forgetting to???

We thought the service/crew to be top notch and we enjoyed every moment aboard.

We did both a pre and post cruise stay and highly recommend Marriott WATERSIDE Hotel. It is 15-20 minutes from the airport and less than 5 minutes from the port. It is a full service resort with all usual amenities and comforts. We are walkers and could take really pleasant walks from our hotel to shopping/restaurant casual area. Nice. We enjoyed it.

We like sailing from Tampa. It took us many years to agree to try it and as it turns out, we like it very much. This is the second cruise we have taken from there.

Certainly not as eloquent as Sail - but I could not agree more. We were on Ryndam in February with another couple and all of us agreed it was one of our best cruises. As Sail noted, a couple of minor glitches but we've never been on any ship that absolutely sparkled as the Ryndam did. We enjoyed the 14 day itineary so much that the four us are doing it next year on the Veendam.

BTW, I believe that the glass in the dining room that Sail referred to is Murano - in any case very beautiful.

Jimmy....Thanks for your nice compliment and especially thanks for sharing that the glass dining room ceiling is Murano.....Duh, I should have known that. It really is gorgeous, isn't it?

:) Don't downplay your own eloquence. Nice Post!!!

As an afterthought, if we were disappointed in any one thing, it was "Lorraine, tickling the ivories" in the Piano Bar. For your sake, I hope that she has moved on to torture a different set of passengers. For our sake, we can only hope that she doesn't show up on the Veendam next year.:D

Sail, I was accused of eloquence years ago as a Navy Chief - Ill leave the language used to your imagination.

It sounds like you may be taking the same cruise that we are, from Tampa, January 5 through the Panama Canal. We were on the Ryndam during its first season and went to the San Blas Islands then. Will enjoy going again to see the molas.

Georgia

Ditto to everything that was stated above. We have been on the New Noordam...Zaandam Rotterdam and the Volendam think the Ryndam was our favorite! Smaller and nicer in every way!

Yes Georgia thats the cruise that we're interested in, sounds good, there are a few ports that we've never been to. Only bad thing about this cruise is it doesn't go to HMC.

I agree Toad, we too like smaller ships so sounds like the Ryndam is the one.

We were on the Ryndam 14 days out of Tampa in January. I ditto all the possitive remarks.

Sail, you related that you have been on the Westerdam. We are considering the Panama Canal gig in Sept. Any comments about the Westerdam?

I am enjoying all the great info I'm hearing about the Ryndam!! It is making my decision about my next cruise much easier.

Nanalee- hubby is from Blooming Prairie- I'm from Adams--we spent many lost evenings at Wagners Pool Hall in Owatonna:eek: Is it still open- I always loved their burgers.

My wife and I were on a 14-day cruise on the Ryndam the last two weeks in March of 2006. In general, it was an excellent cruise on a "beautiful and elegant" ship -- listen and they will remind you of the "beautiful and elegant" part about six times a day.

Seriously, it was a wonderful cruise. Excellent food, good itineray, wonderful service, clean, well-maintained ship. Only downside was that the airconditioning on decks 9 and 10 (the suites) was down for about 18 hours, for which HAL compenstated us with a $40pp credit.

I they if go in Jan 2007, you'll have an excellent vaction!

Archived