Has anyone cruised out of New York?

soweto

Have you cruised any other lines out of NY? and what is your opinion? I am doing some research before I book our next family vacation. NCL might be our best option as they offer the freestyle as well as being the cheapest in terms of children. However, the cost of all the additional items onboard, soda and such is very high. I am looking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Candi

We didn't find any serious differences between NCL and Carnival for on board expenses ( beer was a bit more, wines we like were a bit less). I find Freestyle works much better with kids (mine are teens now). We loved the Sun and have booked our next on the Dawn.

I'm sure Shoreguy will give you a more precise answer but thought you would like an opinion from someone with kids.

M.

Thanks for all your responses so far...I guess what they say is true, Once you cruise, you are addicted. I just got back home and am looking to go again. Hmmmmmmmmmm, might just have to win the lottery to keep up with this addiction!!:)

Candi

We only cruise round trip out of New York (we hate flying). NCL is easily our favorite having sailed on the Dawn (4), Crown and Jewel. We have also sailed the Golden Princess to Canada/New England (enjoyable cruise), the Radisson (now Regent) Seven Seas Navigator to Bermuda (excellent cruise but pricey) and Celebrity's Zenith to Bermuda (small ship, no balconies). We note that Carnival, HAL, Princess, NCI and Cunard all now offer cruises out of New York harbor. The more the merrier.

We only cruise round trip out of New York (we hate flying). NCL is easily our favorite having sailed on the Dawn (4), Crown and Jewel. We have also sailed the Golden Princess to Canada/New England (enjoyable cruise), the Radisson (now Regent) Seven Seas Navigator to Bermuda (excellent cruise but pricey) and Celebrity's Zenith to Bermuda (small ship, no balconies). We note that Carnival, HAL, Princess, NCI and Cunard all now offer cruises out of New York harbor. The more the merrier.

Thanks Dolphins!

Have you found the NCL prices to be a better deal even with the additional onboard charges and the gratuities already added onto your account?

Candi

Anybody know what happened to Shoreguy? NMNita is also conspicuously quiet...:rolleyes:

Shoreguy has been busy booking himself a cabin on the Pearl's transatlantic. He's been posting quite a bit about the new ship the last couple of days.

Don't know about NMNita though.

We received great rates on the QM2 for her April 15 crossing to Southampton and I was surpised at how reasonable drinks were priced. Only thing is that Cunard no longer sails out of New York's port but out of Brooklyn's Red Hook Terminal. (Still tho', barely skimming under the Verrazano-Narrows bridge in this huger liner, I think any kid would find a thrill!) :D

Have you cruised any other lines out of NY? and what is your opinion? I am doing some research before I book our next family vacation. NCL might be our best option as they offer the freestyle as well as being the cheapest in terms of children. However, the cost of all the additional items onboard, soda and such is very high. I am looking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Candi

We have two children a now 5 yo and a 12 yo. We really hate flying and the last two summers went on Carnival. Last summer the Triumph and the summer before the Miracle. We liked both ships. This June we are trying NCL Spirit. I keep telling my DH the way I have it figured is that if we did a land based vacation (resort) it would be the same amount if not more than a cruise for the 4 of us. That is to say land based with equal amenities, food, activities etc. as a cruise ship. I actually think cruising is more economical.

On the Spirit sailing we are on in June, the third and fourth person just paid port fees and taxes, you cant get much better than that:D .

The reason we are trying NCL this summer is definately freestyle. When you have kids I think it is so much easier.

We've cruised on NCL Dawn (2x), Carnival Legend (2x) and Celebrity Zenith (and sister Horizon) (3x) and enjoyed them all. Tips, drinks, soda, excursions.. etc. prices are relatively comparable. The fares vary depending on itinerary and time of year. Last year, 'X' was offering $450 pp to Bermuda in Oct., 2 weeks before the cruise. Too bad this was after final payment (we paid $730 pp).

NCL has freestyle dining which we really enjoy,while the others have 2 seatings a night and you may not get the one you request. NCL is resort casual for dinner while the others have 2 formal nights a week. If you like meeting and dining with others, go on the other lines. We usually travel with our own group and check with the Maitre'd the first day to get this altered, if needed.

We'll be on the Dawn again next week because we booked last minute and got a really good rate. If you have the flexibility of vacationing outside of school vacations, you can get very good deals.

The cruises out of NY tend to be more expensive but we prefer not to do the 'train, plane, automobile', (+cruise ship)....:rolleyes: all in one day.

Thanks in advance,

Candi

Sorry every once and a while I do have to go out :D

I am not sure there is a bad cruise. In the end all the cruise lines need to collect about the same amount per passenger to stay in business. You need to decide what works for you. Traditional vs. Freestyle.

Many love traditional. I like Freestyle and the flexibility it offers. I no longer need to pack a tux, I have the option to eat when I want even if I have to wait a few minutes.

Check out the options, check out the prices, decide what fits your family, book a cruise, and have a great time.

Archived