Dress code enforcement

dakrewser

The Fashion board has a thread going on dress code.
[URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com./showthread.php?t=346752"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com./showthread.php?t=346752[/URL]

ROTFLMAO at this one. (post #47)
[QUOTE]One morning, a woman ate breakfast in the dining room in her bathrobe!
[/QUOTE]

gizmo,

What a great read that thread is. I enjoyed it immensely. I especially enjoyed seeing that the kind of arguments, the two-way name calling, the expectations and the attitudes that we've seen here are not unique to the HAL board and to our address of these subjects. In other words ... we're not alone in thinking passionately about these issues, hence remarks often made about how horrible HAL is on such subjects are really not reflective of reality. For example ... here those of us who love the dress code and think it should be enforced are called "snobs." On that thread we would be called "Fashion Fascists" ! :eek: I much prefer being called a snob, an elitist, or a stuffed shirt than a "fascist"!

What was especially wild was to note that I didn't recognize a SINGLE poster on that thread (not until I posted on it!:) ) and, yet, every single argument (or a version of it) had been posted here on these threads on HAL. :)

[quote name='revneal']gizmo,

What a great read that thread is. I enjoyed it immensely. I especially enjoyed seeing that the kind of arguments, the two-way name calling, the expectations and the attitudes that we've seen here are not unique to the HAL board and to our address of these subjects. In other words ... we're not alone in thinking passionately about these issues, hence remarks often made about how horrible HAL is on such subjects are really not reflective of reality. For example ... here those of us who love the dress code and think it should be enforced are called "snobs." On that thread we would be called "Fashion Fascists" ! :eek: I much prefer being called a snob, an elitist, or a stuffed shirt than a "fascist"!

What was especially wild was to note that I didn't recognize a SINGLE poster on that thread (not until I posted on it!:) ) and, yet, every single argument (or a version of it) had been posted here on these threads on HAL. :)[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"]Greg,

I checked that thread out. Yes, it is a great thread. However, it is not a regular fashion board thread. It looks like a Carnival board thread that got moved. The posters are not Fashion board regulars; they are Carnival regulars.(I read both boards and contribute to the Fashion board regularly.) Yes they do discuss the dress code on the Carnival board and they are quite passionate about it. Although after reading that thread, they do seem less prickly than some of the people on this board. They also seem to be very pro- dress code enforcement.

It may surprise people to see how pro-formal night and dress code enforcement people who sail other cruise lines really are. Just take some time and check Carnival, RCI and some others that cater to families and you will be surprised to see how they feel about this issue. There are many people of all ages who enjoy an elegant evening as part of their cruise.

Linda

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE]I checked that thread out. Yes, it is a great thread. However, it is not a regular fashion board thread. It looks like a Carnival board thread that got moved. The posters are not Fashion board regulars; they are Carnival regulars.(I read both boards and contribute to the Fashion board regularly.) Yes they do discuss the dress code on the Carnival board and they are quite passionate about it. Although after reading that thread, they do seem less prickly than some of the people on this board. They also seem to be very pro- dress code enforcement. [/QUOTE]

That's interesting ... I didn't realize that it had been on the Carnival board and moved. I wonder why our dress code wars aren't moved?

I've never done much reading of the Fashion board ... I spend most of my time right here. :)

Rev,

Glad you enjoyed the thread. I didn't realize it started on the Carnival board either.
Regardless of where the thread started it does show that the pro dress code people on this board are not unique.;)

I thought the "Fashion Fascists" was pretty wild. :eek:

[QUOTE][b]Stevesan:[/b]
How about just "Fashionistas"?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][b]NoNoNanette:[/b]
You might want to do a "google search" on FASHIONISTAS.... it might surprise/horrify you![/QUOTE]

Eeeeew ... icky poo.
Now, the blogspot: Las Fashionistas ([url]http://lasfashionistas.blogspot.com/[/url]) is interesting. ;)

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi Nannette,

I googled. This is what I got. This is a link to The World Wide Words. org.

[URL="http://www.worldwidewords.org/turnsofphrase/tp-fas1.htm"]http://www.worldwidewords.org/turnsofphrase/tp-fas1.htm[/URL]

This is Stephen Fried. com

[URL="http://www.stephenfried.com/gia/fash.html"]http://www.stephenfried.com/gia/fash.html[/URL]

and Merrium-Webster's 11th College Dictionary defines fashionista as: "a designer, promoter or follower of the latest fashions."

I'm curious, what did you find that was horrifying or surprising?:confused:

Linda

PS. Edited comment.

OK Nanette

I followed your link. Now I get it. Anything to do Britney Spears is horrifying. I absolutly agree with you there. However that is just one definition of fashionista. I don't think we need to throw out the baby with the bathwater (Even Britney's, after all the baby is an innocent). My favorite fashionistas are Stacy and Clinton on TLC and Suzanna and Trinny BBC. They simply tell you "What Not To Wear".

I do like the blog. Thanks.

Linda [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][quote name='NoNoNanette']Hi Linda-

I was referring to a XXX movie, entitled, "The Fashionistas". S&M Stuff....:eek:

Never mind. :o[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh, I see

Don't worry Nanette, I'm a shrink.

I've seen just about everything you can imagine in my classes yet. I remember in my undergrad Psychology of Sexuality Class one student, a friend of mine who had been raised in the genteel south of cotillions and debutantes went into shock when we viewed the video on homosexual sex.The instructor had to debrief her. She was out to shock her husband and went on to get a job counseling prisoners in Graterford State Prison during the week and people with Schizophrenia on the weekends. He wanted to accompany her to work toting a shotgun.

Then there are the piercing catalogues and I am not talking about ears or eyebrows, here. And the tattoos I've seen, wow! Twenty five years of clinical practice, some of it in drug and alcohol and in community mental health and I have seen and heard a whole lot.

I love my job and I love the people I work for. I may be self employed, but I know who I really work for, they are the people I sit across from in my office who come to me for help. My respect and appreciation for people continues to grow each year as I meet more people and learn more and more about them. People are amazing. I am privileged to be allowed to share what they tell me.

Nanette, XXX rated is not nearly as horrifying to me as child abuse, murder or any crimes against persons. Those things are horrific. ** Even worse than breaking the dress code!:eek: **[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='ryansmemom']
...Then there are the piercing catalogues and I am not talking about ears or eyebrows, here. And the tattoos I've seen, wow! Twenty five years of clinical practice, some of it in drug and alcohol and in community mental health and I have seen and heard a whole lot.
[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="4"]...as seen on a typical day here in SF.
(YAwn...)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE]Then there are the piercing catalogues and I am not talking about ears or eyebrows, here.[/QUOTE]

There was a fellow in front of me trying to go through security at DFW who had a real problem. The wand kept signaling something metal in his crotch, and so he had to be taken into a private room to reveal a piercing in certain critical body part. :eek:

Archived