Dress code enforcement

dakrewser

Many of the dress code threads feature people on all sides of the enforcement issue: from "I wish they'd enforce the dress code" to "I'd follow it if it were enforced" to "as long as they don't enforce it I'll do what I want."

Some report seing people turned away at the door of the dining room, others see people in shorts and t-shirts on formal nights.

But as many law enforcement people will tell you, many laws are simply not enforced unless people complain. For example, many city streets have legal speed limits of 25 or 30 MPH. Many drivers routinely can be clocked at 35-50 MPH. No one gets stopped until a number of people complain about the excessive speed.

It's quite likely that HAL (and other lines) aren't going to attempt to refuse people admittance to the DR if no one is complaining.

So the questions are:

Have you ever complained to the maitre d' about someone's dress in the DR?

In order to preserve traditional dining, would you now begin to do so?

On several occasions we have mentioned to our area captains and the maitre'd about the dress of someone who was really out of line - the people who came into the dining room dressed in shorts on a formal evening - just one incident.

And we have also written notes on our comment cards although I truely believe no one ever reads them.

I've never made a direct complaint, but now believe it would be a good idea.

I have often made mention on the comment card that I would like to see a dressier atmosphere. Apparently, that isn't doing the trick.

Since the argument of the Maitre d's appears to be that if they do something to enforce the code then there will just be complaints filed, then I think it behooves those of us who want the code enforced to see that complaints are filed when it is not followed.

i recently posted a response from celebrity captains regarding dress codes-- the bottom line is that the captains wont enforce the dress code without knowing if the maitre d is going to back them up -- becasue they are the ones getting into trouble --- no maitre d ok then no enforcement

I have never complained about any specific person at any specific time. However, I have stated in letters to Seattle that I would like to see the dress code enforced (at least for formal nights). I have also made similar comments on the comment cards at the end of cruises where I have noticed some particularly glaring violations of the dress code (a woman dressed in a jogging suit on formal night). AND, in several conversations with Hotel Managers, I have mentioned that I would prefer to see the dress code enforced rather than "anything goes." In general, the reply back that I have received has been that HAL doesn't allow "anything goes" but that, at the same time, their staff do not have time to play "clothing cops." Essentially, it would appear that HAL expects its passengers to be responsible citizens who respect the wises of their hosts. O, for such a perfect world!

As for the paltry few incidents in which I have either witnessed or overheard as the dress code was actually being enforced, the enforcement has been exceedingly polite but firm, and it has always been relative to someone whose clothing was WAY out of line with the code for the evening (shorts and t-shirt on informal night, no jacket and tie on formal night ... that kind of thing).

As for your question: would I be willing to complain? I suppose I would ... but, then, that would depend upon how egregious a violation it was. Frankly, I'm usually too focused upon what I'm doing and what's going on in my immediate vicinity to care about someone not dressed according to the code seated 10 tables away. If odor were part of the problem (i.e., soiled, worn out clothing stinking up the immediate area), or if someone had made it into the dining room in jam-shorts and a tank-top and was seated in my immediate line-of-sight, I might be quick to lodge an immediate complaint. However, if it's just the lack of a tie or the wearing of jeans under dress shirt, tie, and sport jacket, then no ... I probably wouldn't lodge an immediate complaint. As much as I would like to see the code enforced, I just don't see it as my job to try and enforce it.

No, I never have - and Yes, I think I will make comment of it in the future.

As point of comparison - I was astounded at the dress aboard Celebrity.

Nearly EVERYONE met or exceeded the dress code - I'd guess that easily 98% of the men met the code (non-code meant navy blazer w/ tie and khakis as opposed to a dark suit - there was nothing lesser than that in sight anywhere in the public rooms that night) and approx 85% wore tuxes. Most ladies were in floor length gowns, many with shawls, furs, etc. (The AC in the dining room was also a cooler than the previous night - probably to accomodate Formalwear.)

Of course, in your document booklet there's a short checklist of things not to forget to pack - among them being Medicines, Extra Eyeglasses, Passports and Formalwear!

i recently posted a response from celebrity captains regarding dress codes-- the bottom line is that the captains wont enforce the dress code without knowing if the maitre d is going to back them up -- becasue they are the ones getting into trouble --- no maitre d ok then no enforcement

On the Zaandam in 2004, on the first formal night, a man came dressed in slacks and a button-down sports shirt -- no jacket, no tie. He would have been fine on a casual night, but not on formal night. The Maitre’ d came over while their drink orders were being taken, knelt down next to the guy, and I could hear him say in a quiet yet respectful tone, “Sir, tonight is formal night.”

“Yes?” the man replied; his tone contained more than just a hint of daring.

“I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to return to your cabin and retrieve a jacket and tie.”

“But the dress code says that’s just a suggestion.”

“No, sir. What’s suggested is a tuxedo; what is required is a jacket and tie.”

“Required?”

“Correct, sir. That is what is printed in your Daily Program.”

“What if I refuse?”

“Then, sir, you will not be served.”

“You’re kidding me.”

“No, sir, I'm not kidding you.” The Matre’ D then stood up straight and walked away, apparently stopping to inform the area supervisor of the situation.

After a few minutes, which he spent discussing the situation with his wife and his companions in increasingly heated tones, the fellow got up and left. Less than 10 minutes later he showed up in a sports jacket, white shirt, and tie. Nothing else was said, either by the Matre’ D or by his table companions, and on the subsequent 3 formal nights he was attired properly. The same can't be said for the informal nights -- he pushed the envelope there, too, and got called on it the second informal night -- but that's another story.

So, yes ... it does sometimes happen. If only it would happen more frequently.

I probably wouldn't lodge an immediate complaint. As much as I would like to see the code enforced, I just don't see it as my job to try and enforce it.

I never complained because I never seen anyone dressed sooooooo inappropriately on my cruises to date on formal night - even on Carnival. First, I have far too much to worry about than ties and jackets on other people that could ruin a cruise. Rogue waves, fires, and icebergs are probably approriate worry factors. I do like to have the dress codes enforced but I am much like our revneal in that its not my job to be enforcer and why get into a rather silly battle over people's taste in clothing.

I believe there is way too much discussion on the dress codes on all the boards over a few people here and there that deliberately fly in the face of the dress code for formal nights. I do believe most try hard to stay within the rules and if they don't attend the dining room and other formal functions why bother if you see someone in jeans wondering in the hallways. For me to complain I guess that person would have to smell and be obviously grungy to the point you just can't eat. If they are clean and presentable and have made some attempt at looking nice then I would accept them at my table without saying a word about a missing tie or jacket or wrong colour socks.:) Even if I was in a tuxedo!

Just my little thoughts. I know not everyone will agree with me.

All rules have exceptions. I like to see the dress code enforced as much as anyone but I have seen some poor people arrive on the ship and the airline has lost their luggage. I remember one poor lady in a jogging suit who finally got her luggage on the second to the last day of the cruise. Granted the Lido is set up for casual dining but the menu in the Lido is not comparable to the main dinning room. Its the people who don't care that bothers me.

All rules have exceptions. I like to see the dress code enforced as much as anyone but I have seen some poor people arrive on the ship and the airline has lost their luggage. I remember one poor lady in a jogging suit who finally got her luggage on the second to the last day of the cruise. Granted the Lido is set up for casual dining but the menu in the Lido is not comparable to the main dinning room. Its the people who don't care that bothers me.

Oh, I absolutely agree that there are times when one makes exceptions, like the lady w/ the lost luggage or the pensioners from Northern England who were given a cruise by their children as a gift and wore their Sunday best (Mum in a simple dress and Dad in a tie) but Mum was in tears when she realized that her "finest" wasn't up to snuf.

It's cases like that where we should be charitable and take them under our wings and reassure them that they're OK and welcome (and perhaps treat them to be outfitted in a gown from the giftshop or a tux rental for next formal night - money better spent than another seaweed-scalp massage, I should think ;) )

just remembered --when talking to the d/r capt on celebrity he said that he would refuse admittance to anyone not complying to dress code if he was at the door when the person was entering the d/r and that his business took he away from the door and that he would not approach anyone who was already seated if they got by him because he wasnt at the door when the person entered

On two occassions my husband has complained about baseball caps being worn in the dining room. On the first occassion the offender was spoken to but refused to comply with the request to remove it, and that was the end of that. On the second occassion he was told that it was the last night so he should just over look it. Bad manners rule!

On two occassions my husband has complained about baseball caps being worn in the dining room. On the first occassion the offender was spoken to but refused to comply with the request to remove it, and that was the end of that. On the second occassion he was told that it was the last night so he should just over look it. Bad manners rule!

Those are probably the same fine gents that refuse to take off their hats/covers when the national anthem is played at i.e. a sporting event and/or when entering a church. Willing to bet you they never were in the service either!

Dunno where that came from, John. I've always abided by the suggested "dress code". I just don't care if others do.

TO EACH HIS OWN. :D

I don't either Nanette, your name just came to mind after those two no's!

Those two no's still stand though, as far as I'm concerned. Never have and more than likely never will. Too busy looking at the menu and enjoying a conversation with our new tablemates

I don't either Nanette, your name just came to mind after those two no's!

Those two no's still stand though, as far as I'm concerned. Never have and more than likely never will. Too busy looking at the menu and enjoying a conversation with our new tablemates

I'll be super-honest with you, John..... I'm relieved, as have always enjoyed reading your posts/interacting with you. :o

Those are probably the same fine gents that refuse to take off their hats/covers when the national anthem is played at i.e. a sporting event and/or when entering a church. Willing to bet you they never were in the service either!

OMG - Doesn't that drive you F$*%ing CRAZY!

Last time I was at a ballgame here in SF, a Dad w/ his gaggle in the row ahead of us talked and loudly rearranged themselves and various sodas/treats, etc. during the anthem. Much to my friends horror, I gave him a stern lecture on etiquette after the anthem. (Even if this is not your country, you stand quietly with your hats off and face in the direction of the flag, being respectful of the customs of the country you are in and those around you - your children will never become proper citizens unless you do your job and teach them what they need to know.)

He didn't know what to say, but he made sure his kids behaved throughout the game.

I have never complained about anyone violating the dress code. To be perfectly honest, I have never seen anyone onboard a HAL ship wearing anything that I felt so egregiously violated the dress code that it bothered me to a point that I would feel it was necessary to compain about.

Yes, I have seen people whose interpretation of the dress code is very different than mine. However, I am not the fashion police. When I speak of my preferences I am speaking of a perfect word and this is not a perfect world. I have no problem with someone enjoying formal night who has dressed with at least the spirit of the occasion. For some people, church best is as best and festive as it gets. This is party dress up. What is wrong with that? Times are changing. At some point, we may find that denim will be acceptable too.

For example: George V and Queen Mary of England were scandalized that women were actually showing their ankles. They would not allow women to appear in their presence if their skirts were so horrifically short that their ankles showed. Formal, Informal, Casual no matter when, no ankles. Just imagine what their majesties would have to say about today's fashions. Things change.

Personally, I do believe that behavior is related to the way we are dressed. Sloppy dress is related to sloppy behavior. People who take pride and care in their dress also take pride and care in all aspects of themselves and have greater respect for themselves and others.

I do have a problem with poorly groomed, sloppy, dirty people; regardless of the appropriatness of their mode of dress. I have a problem with rude, arrogant people regardless of the appropriatness of their dress. I think people should have the appropriate parts of their bodies covered or uncovered in a dining room and that should be enforced.

As far as complaining in the future. I may if I felt the situation warrented a complaint. Chimera and I are in the habit of requesting a meeting with the Hotel Manager on our cruises. We invite him up to our suite mid-cruise and we have always had a nice chat about our experience on his ship. We do this mid-cruise because at that point we have crew members we want to commend and we want to be sure the boss knows about them. If we have a complaint, that is when we let him know about it. That gives him the opportunity to rectify the problem. Of course, the times we have had complaints, we have gone through the chain of command and they only reach the Hotel Manager's ears if our problems have not been solved. The meeting is really to commend the crew members. Anyway, we would use this time to express any concerns we had regarding the dress code or anything else.

In my experience, HAL is very receptive to the concerns of their guests. I have seen changes made as a result of the concerns I have expressed. I think it depends on the way the concerns are expressed. I also beleive that Cruise Critic does carry weight with the company.

Linda

I appreciate your kind, polite comments and I need to ask a few questions of you experts here, as this is our first HAL cruise.

1. My son, who will wear a tuxedo on formal nights, wants to know if polo shirts are OK for casual nights.

2. Is this correct? ----the first and last night are usually casual, with two formal nights, and thus leaving 3 informal nights (jacket-yes, tie optional).

3. Is it traditionally or strongly suggested staying in above said clothing through the remainder of the evening? On the other 4 cruiselines we have been on, this has been optionally followed.

We are conformists by nature :D and do not want to offend the long time HAL cruisers and will go by what is suggested here. This is one reason my wonderful son is coming, but my dear husband is not coming, as he hates wearing suits or tuxes for more than a few hours.:rolleyes:

Thanks

Karen

No, I have not complained but I've been sorely tempted!

Picture this, young 20-something black male, white ball cap, baggy black shirt, incredible baggy/saggy blue denim jeans with huge chain dangling from belt (conected to who knows what!) at a table of 6 persons, all of whom were formally dressed on the first formal night. The woman I supposed to be his mother looked absolutely stunning in a fabulously beaded black evening dress! He was allowed to remain. And this wasn't a 'one off', as he showed up for the second formal night just as inappropriately attired.

I honestly don't believe 'complaining' is going to solve the situation, so it's unlikely I'll start becoming a member of the vocal fashion police. Leading by example is still pretty effective in my books.

Archived