holland america unhappy cruiser

You would think if the cruise line was going to dedicate an area and call it a sports bar that they would pay for some premium sports programming. The times that I have been in a sports bar that had a football game or something similar, the place was packed. Most of the time it just sits empty. To me if your not going to make it work then don't bother dedicating the space to it.
I think RCI realized their error. I assume that is why Freedom doesn't have a sports bar.

I think RCI realized their error. I assume that is why Freedom doesn't have a sports bar.

Maybe, but the fix for the error (IMO) isn't eliminating the space, it's adding some halfway decent programming.

I totally agree. You think they'd love the alcohol revenue that such an area would bring in. If they were creative and promoted it correctly I think it'd be a big hit.
Yeah and it would need to have sports bar style food too like nachos, Buffalo wings, etc...

Yeah and it would need to have sports bar style food too like nachos, Buffalo wings, etc...

That'd be perfect and it's exactly what Disney does. They have a very nice room with lots of big easy chairs, multiple flat screens, a bar, and a nice set up with comp goodies like you mention. They pump in ESPN no matter where you are in the Caribbean. They also do trivia contests and other fun things.

The 2nd best sports bar I've seen was on NCL Dawn in their pub which doubles as a sports bar. They serve fish n chips.

I can't speak to the best suite to book on the best ship, but I do have a suggestion. Our son is an only child. He brings a friend on our family vacations. It is a lot more fun for him to have someone to share it with. We plan ahead and budget for it, and it's worth every penny.

I may have to duck and cover after I say this.. but.. I would recommend if you've been on 10 HAL cruises and are going to try something else, I would recommend trying Princess first. I know I may get daggers for that but I've cruised on most of the major lines including HAL. I say Princess because because it's a little more toned down than RCCL's Voyager/Freedom class ships. I think the Radiance class would be a great choice as it's comparable to some HAL ships if you decide RCCL - but depending on the time of year - ie.. winter, you would find more teenagers onboard the larger ships.

I would imagine that this is because Disney owns ESPN, and if Disney(corporate) excels at anything, it's marketing.

Well, technically, Disney owns ABC Cable Networks which owns ESPN, but point taken... :rolleyes:

We took our first Carnival Cruise 2 months ago and the whole time we commented that our teenagers would be board to death. We love to play cards, no card or game room. We like to go watch movies on a big screen, none of that. We don't drink or gamble and since we live in AZ and are lucky enough to have a pool and jacuzzi, swimming with 40 little kids didn't tempt me. We loved the poolside music and the show band was the best. The food and crew were very good, but their really isn't much for teens to do. We have cruised twice on HAL without them and we loved the relaxed pace. Our teenagers loved the Navigator. There was so much for them to do. They also liked the Radiance. They have been on 5 RCCL cruises on 5 different ships, the Princess Star (liked it alot) and 2 NCL's. Do a Voyager Class. Our kids still say it was the best cruise ever.

for those of you cruisers that have experienced more than one cruise on royal carribean, could you tell me why and what ship my family would enjoy the most. point one- family of three,two adults(47) and 14 year old daughter. point two-ten cruises on HAL and are tired of no perks for SA GATEGORY.

point three-more entertainment for teenagers

point four-more onboard activities

point five-sports bar?

point six-what order would you place RCCL cruise ships in descending order by age?

point seven-what do you believe is the best suite level?

Thank all of you ahead for participating and your qualified help.

Thank You

Please feel free to add anything missed.

The ships with the best tean areas that I know of are the Navigator and the Mariner. As for the adults, I think all the Vision, Radiance and Voyager class ships are about the same.

I am thinking of taking my first RC cruise with teens and because I am doing a 7 day Mexican, the only ship is the Vision of the Seas....you are all recommending the other classes for families....but will they have fun on the Vision? They loved the HAL Ryndam so I am assuming the Rock Wall is going to amaze them...but what other things can we expect on this ship? I dont think there is mini golf, but is there a water slide? Any comments to help me out? I have two cabins on hold...one aft cabin and one interior...shall I go for it??

I am thinking of taking my first RC cruise with teens and because I am doing a 7 day Mexican, the only ship is the Vision of the Seas....you are all recommending the other classes for families....but will they have fun on the Vision? They loved the HAL Ryndam so I am assuming the Rock Wall is going to amaze them...but what other things can we expect on this ship? I dont think there is mini golf, but is there a water slide? Any comments to help me out? I have two cabins on hold...one aft cabin and one interior...shall I go for it??

If your kids had fun on the Ryndam, they will have fun on the Vision OTS. I believe the question asked was which ship would be best. The answers to that question don't imply that there is anything wrong with the Vision class, just that other (newer) classes offer more.

While I have not cruised on Vision OTS, I have toured it. You can see 128 photos I took (including the kids area and the rock wall) by clicking on the links below (and no, RCI does not have a pool slide like Carnival does).

Just click on any photo to make it larger ...

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=92320

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=92451

Thanks so much for the info...my DD and I just looked over your photos and we are now so excited that you have convinced me! Looks like a lot of fun. Quite a bit more than on the Ryndam!!

Guess I will be making my deposit after all! Thanks again.....:)

Archived