Playa Uvas

rscima

Thanks everyone for sharing such valuable information here. My question is regarding the sand/beach area. I've read where the sand is a little rocky, but some of the pictures clearly indicate the "rockiness" but other pictures I have seen seems sandy. Can anyone tell me if there are sandy areas and rocky areas or is it mainly rocky everywhere on this beach. Also, has anyone been there where it seems crowded? We will be in Cozumel with 17,000 passengers and I am trying to decide between Playa Uvas or Nachi.

Thanks for any info!

Thanks everyone for sharing such valuable information here. My question is regarding the sand/beach area. I've read where the sand is a little rocky, but some of the pictures clearly indicate the "rockiness" but other pictures I have seen seems sandy. Can anyone tell me if there are sandy areas and rocky areas or is it mainly rocky everywhere on this beach. Also, has anyone been there where it seems crowded? We will be in Cozumel with 17,000 passengers and I am trying to decide between Playa Uvas or Nachi.

Thanks for any info!

There is sand where the chairs are, however once you try to enter the water it is all rocks. There are some sandbags put over the rocks so that you can get into the water, but it would be difficult to just wade in without water shoes.

I think these pictures may help.

DSC00408.jpg.8cec1e34110db031b9bc7c2ad320e5ee.jpg

DSC00409.jpg.073277c4cb2f55c003781afa1e1ed2ce.jpg

DSC00410.jpg.e74f6f20ec4633585d34077caf81a97b.jpg

DSC00411.jpg.b5ecae171a823f09070ef3c417a1ff09.jpg

DSC00415.jpg.941a44fc2b183ac28bcae5a7c9148cd1.jpg

Dvan: Thanks for the information and pictures. It really looks like a beautiful place. One more question, if I may, at some point as you enter the ocean, does it become sandy on the ocean floor. I know eventually it would, but about how far out do the rocks extend to? Thanks again!

Dvan: Thanks for the information and pictures. It really looks like a beautiful place. One more question, if I may, at some point as you enter the ocean, does it become sandy on the ocean floor. I know eventually it would, but about how far out do the rocks extend to? Thanks again!

The rocks are mainly on the shoreline. It becomes sandy where the beach chairs are at etc. They have placed sandbags that you can walk on to get into the ocean. Once you step into the water there is sand but there is also some crushed up shells but nothing that it would hurt your feet. However, the snorkeling there is awesome!! If you wanted to snorkel you couldn't do that off the beach at Nachi. At playa uvas you could do it off the beach!! Hope this helps you decide.

Feel free to ask questions we're here to try to help you out!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Playa Uvas Tuesday and LOVED IT!. Carmen met us at the entrance and got us checked in. DS decided he wanted to do the Kayaking (our package didnt include it) So Carmen was nice enough to give us a discount on that. We had a great time and had great service. We snorkeled all we wanted and DH & DS had a great time kayaking as well.

Just watch those beach loungers, the one next to me jumped out at me and broke my foot. :) Still not a bad way to spend the day even with a broken foot! At least ill have a longer term reminder of my wonderful day at Uvas!

PS we will be going back there on our next trip to cozumel. We are actually thinking of spending a long weekend there with a day or two at Uvas.

• 2 weeks later...

We were thinking about booking for our October cruise, but I have a question about the time. We are not scheduled into port into 11am. Will they work around us getting there late? From reading the reviews it sounds like they normally have the snorkle tour and then lunch, but if we get there around 11-12 then probably the people that got there earlier will already be eating lunch. We they do another tour?

I purchased a clear Kayak and snorkle tour on the ship. I ended up at UVAS!!! There must be two UVAS because it was the biggest ripoff excursion I have ever done!!! In the past I have always been happy with the excursions even if they are pricy!! This one sucked.

There is no reef to see fish! I have snorkled in many places and UVAS is not the place to do it.....

The Kayak is made for one person but they put 2 in it....... on torn up padded seats!!

The person in the back gets no leg room at all..... I did get to see the sandy bottom of the ocean and maybe 8 fish tops.... AND I was looking!!!

The snorkling was nothing! No reef! Gave up becase the Kayaker's are kayaking in the snorkel area! I saw close calls and I left. Besides the reef is gone... washed away in the hurricane... no reef = no fish.....

The guide just smiled and told us the reef is gone. He was very nice!!! VEry nice! That is the good part of this place! They smile and are very nice. If you are not going in the ocean to snorkel or see the ocean bottom in the Kayak then this is a nice quiet place with nice employees. Lay on the beach and have a good time....

We left early and walked down the road to Chakanaab. The snorkeling there was much better.

I would go back in a heart beat, in fact I am. I have a B2B booked in sept/oct and plan to go to uvas at least one of the days and then another B2B in feb and will go back for another day.

Hi to Carmen and Eduardo and all of the staff from the BIG GUY FROM IOWA. Carmen I will try to bring you some snow in february.

I am confused. My port is in Costa Maya but it seems like Playa Uvas is in Cozumel. I am confused, is Playa Uvas within distance of Costa Maya? It seems that it is a place we would like, just a beach with food and alcohol.

We were thinking about booking for our October cruise, but I have a question about the time. We are not scheduled into port into 11am. Will they work around us getting there late? From reading the reviews it sounds like they normally have the snorkle tour and then lunch, but if we get there around 11-12 then probably the people that got there earlier will already be eating lunch. We they do another tour?

I'm sure Eduardo would be able to arrange another time for you to snorkel. Please send eduardo an email to make sure.

I am confused. My port is in Costa Maya but it seems like Playa Uvas is in Cozumel. I am confused, is Playa Uvas within distance of Costa Maya? It seems that it is a place we would like, just a beach with food and alcohol.

If your port is Costa Maya you will not be able to find playa uvas. Costa Maya is in the South Eastern tip of Mexico. Different places..

Do you mean Puerto Maya?? If you do mean Puerto Maya you will need to take a taxi to take you to Playa Uvas.

If your port is Costa Maya you will not be able to find playa uvas. Costa Maya is in the South Eastern tip of Mexico. Different places..

Do you mean Puerto Maya?? If you do mean Puerto Maya you will need to take a taxi to take you to Playa Uvas.

No, it's Costa Maya. Thanks for the quick response.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great Guided Clear Kayak and Guided Snorkel shore excursion. We sailed on the Carnival Valor and were in Cozumel on 8/14/09. Enrique was our guide.

There was not a lot of reef as described in previous posts but coral was forming and it was beautiful. Our guide Enrique brought some fish food with him and my two kids fed the fish. It was great.

We took the snorkel tour as well. Enrique was very patient with my 13 yr old and 10 yr old. My 10 yr old held the life preserver/ring that Enrique brought but then he got brave and snorkled without assistance. We saw lots of fish. Enrique dove down and found two small stingrays. He also dove down and found a seahorse!!! That was the highlight of the entire adventure...to see a seahorse in the wild.

This shore excursion was my son's favorite.

The staff at UVAS was very accomodating. We were offered food and drink but regrettably declined since we only wanted to eat "safe" food on the cruise ship.

We arrived early so there was no one else there. We had one other couple with us from our ship and that was it. Just 6 of us on the kayak excursion and 6 on the snorkel so we had lots of personal service.

Overall the place was very nice.

No, it's Costa Maya. Thanks for the quick response.

I have been there too! it's def not the same place. there is too playa uvas one it in Cozumel and the other is in Costa Maya .it was a carnival tour. it was pretty long bus ride and grassy with many starfish!

We've been to Uvas twice. The first time was awesome and the second, while good, was plagued with flies.

We will be in Cozumel again in December and would love to give Uvas another try, but I'm really wary reading about flies.

Advice anyone?

We had a great Guided Clear Kayak and Guided Snorkel shore excursion. We sailed on the Carnival Valor and were in Cozumel on 8/14/09. Enrique was our guide.

There was not a lot of reef as described in previous posts but coral was forming and it was beautiful. Our guide Enrique brought some fish food with him and my two kids fed the fish. It was great.

We took the snorkel tour as well. Enrique was very patient with my 13 yr old and 10 yr old. My 10 yr old held the life preserver/ring that Enrique brought but then he got brave and snorkled without assistance. We saw lots of fish. Enrique dove down and found two small stingrays. He also dove down and found a seahorse!!! That was the highlight of the entire adventure...to see a seahorse in the wild.

This shore excursion was my son's favorite.

The staff at UVAS was very accomodating. We were offered food and drink but regrettably declined since we only wanted to eat "safe" food on the cruise ship.

We arrived early so there was no one else there. We had one other couple with us from our ship and that was it. Just 6 of us on the kayak excursion and 6 on the snorkel so we had lots of personal service.

Overall the place was very nice.

Glad to have read that you had a great time. I'm jealous that you saw a seahorse!!! How neat!!!:D

My two cents: I have eaten food in mexico several times and I have never gotten sick. I have been to Playa Uvas 4 times and I have eaten their food and had drinks there and have never been sick. All of their water is purified water...so no worries there! :)

Edited by lady in tx

We've been to Uvas twice. The first time was awesome and the second, while good, was plagued with flies.

We will be in Cozumel again in December and would love to give Uvas another try, but I'm really wary reading about flies.

Advice anyone?

I'll look into it.

I have read before not here but somewhere else that flies come and go w/the weather but I'm not sure.

Okay, I found some reviews like on trip advisor, etc of people that complained of flies during certain time of the year. For example, August & September. I know a couple of people in Cozumel and I spoke to them about it and it seems like there are certain months in the year that the flies come and go with the rainy season. Some beach clubs and hotels such as:Chankanaab Park, Money Bar, Playa Corona, Hotel Intercontinental, hotel Fiesta Americana & Playa Uvas. Some of these places that I mentioned get them worse than other places in Cozumel because they are located inside the Chankanaab Reef Marine National park and they are not allowed to use any pesticides that may kill the flies because they are inside the Chankanaab Reef Marine National Park.

Since you are going there in December, you should be safe! I have been there in August, Jan, Nov, & Dec & I honestly do not recall seeing any flies around!! :) I think you would be fine!!

Edited by lady in tx

I went to Playa Uvas when we ported in Cozumel on Aug. 25th. It was great. It's a small area, but has plenty of space to lounge, great food and drinks, and amazing staff.

We did the Snorkell, Lunch, and Open Bar for $39. The snorkeling was great, we saw tons of fish, sting rays, lobsters, and a sea horse. Our tour guide was very knowledgable and knew all the best spots. Even after our tour and lunch, we were able to get the snorkel gear and go out on our own. That was a lot of fun also.

Lunch was really tasty, and the waiter worked his butt off. All of the guest there seemed to have a great time.

THANKS to everyone at Playa Uvas!!!

What a great review, thanks for reminding me of my fabulous visits to Uvas... How wonderful that you guys got to see a seahorse, isn´t that amazing? I´m a certified diver and have never been that lucky..:) I´ve never seen one in its natural habitat.. It´s amazing that you got to see it up close by the beach... Maybe one of these days... I won´t give up! I promise! ;) Keep on trucking!

I would like to visit Playa Uvas...but can't get a reponse from them.

I filled out the online form requesting information...no response.

I emailed Eduardo at one email on the site....no response.

I emailed Eduardo at a gmail account he has also listed on the site...no response.

I called the number on the site. It was a cell phone number with some spanish messsage.

I'm about to give up on this place since I can't get any information.

I'm a diver and my husband isn't so I wanted to get information on the best way to go for him to learn and then us dive together.