dougnewmanatsea

An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet

Ship+Photo+Rotterdam.jpg

On 2 September 2008, she left Wilhelmshaven and on 4 September 2008, she made her triumphant return (see above and below) to her city of birth, Rotterdam, where she was berthed at the “Katendrechtse Hoofd” (Head of Katendrecht) located on the northern edge of Rotterdam Zuid (South) in the Maashaven (River Maas harbor) and where she will serve as a floating hotel, static museum ship and conference center.

Rotterdam-home-Gerard-Vaas1-4-8-08.jpg

I've been on Holland America ships 9 times now and this is the 1st time I've known the difference of the ships. Your info was very informative and very easy to read and understand.

Thanks

D:cool:

I have been all ships currently in the fleet except: Prisendam, Noordam and Eurodam. I like them all but my current favorite is the m.s. AMSTERDAM.

Our first two cruises were with Carnival.The Elation, then the Ecstasy which are clones. On Carnival we were among the youngest couples, we were early 50's. When waiting to board HAL (Ryndam) we noticed most passengers were way older than us. Numerous wheelchairs, walkers even oxygen tanks. Carnival caters to a younger party, drinker and smoker crowd. HAL offers a more reserved and luxurious ambience. Most passengers are asleep by 11:00p.m. Very few smokers since by this age most smokers have died. Now that we are in our 60's we still feel young traveling HAL. I loved Princess. However both Carnival and HAL had larger cabins. Princess had mattresses made of stone. If you go on HAL avoid the Ryndam. It is a small ship and I got seasick. In addition it has plumbing problems that cannot be fixed. We were without the use of our toilets for hours on two separate days.

Our first two cruises were with Carnival.The Elation, then the Ecstasy which are clones. On Carnival we were among the youngest couples, we were early 50's. When waiting to board HAL (Ryndam) we noticed most passengers were way older than us. Numerous wheelchairs, walkers even oxygen tanks. Carnival caters to a younger party, drinker and smoker crowd. HAL offers a more reserved and luxurious ambience. Most passengers are asleep by 11:00p.m. Very few smokers since by this age most smokers have died. Now that we are in our 60's we still feel young traveling HAL. I loved Princess. However both Carnival and HAL had larger cabins. Princess had mattresses made of stone. If you go on HAL avoid the Ryndam. It is a small ship and I got seasick. In addition it has plumbing problems that cannot be fixed. We were without the use of our toilets for hours on two separate days.

I meant to say "on Carnival we were among the OLDEST couples."

Out of the nine cruises I have been on so far in my life, I've been on HAL for five of them. Been on the Veendam (1-night Vancouver-Seattle in 1996 and 4-day Pacific Northwest r/t Vancouver in 1999), SS Rotterdam (4-day Pacific Northwest r/t Vancouver in 1997), Ryndam (10-day S. Caribbean Seafarer r/t Ft. Lauderdale), and Zaandam (4-day Pacific Northwest r/t Vancouver in 2002). The Ryndam was among my favourites since it was a rather spontaneous, last-minute decision to sail on that cruise, but even though I was 8 at the time, I immensely enjoyed sailing on the Grande Dame and was fortunate to have experienced a real ship (not a floating box with a bow stuck to the end) before she was retired.

Best I have found for HAL. Where does Eurodam fit and has Oosterdam April renovations actually been accomplished?

Where does Eurodam fit

This thread, the descriptions of the various classes, began before the Eurodam.

The E-dam is a Signature class ship, and will soon be joined by a sister in that class. The Nieuw Amsterdam is expected to sail in July, 2010.

You can think of the Signature class as Vista 2.0. The deckplans are virtually identical, with the exception that there is an additional deck. There is the introduction of the Tamarind Restaurant and Silk Den lounge. There is also the introduction of cabanas on Lido Deck and in the Retreat area of Observation Deck. There are also spa cabins, and a few other little changes from the Vista class.

This thread, the descriptions of the various classes, began before the Eurodam.

The E-dam is a Signature class ship, and will soon be joined by a sister in that class. The Nieuw Amsterdam is expected to sail in July, 2010.

You can think of the Signature class as Vista 2.0. The deckplans are virtually identical, with the exception that there is an additional deck. There is the introduction of the Tamarind Restaurant and Silk Den lounge. There is also the introduction of cabanas on Lido Deck and in the Retreat area of Observation Deck. There are also spa cabins, and a few other little changes from the Vista class.

Thanks, dear Ruth!

Always apreciate your expert advice here.

We've cruised a lot (in fact, spent a great 12 days on the Oosterdamn this summer from BCN-VEN in an aft corner SC, which we loved!)--but never done a T/A. DH and I just booked the Nieuw Amsterdam for its final inaugural season sailing of the Med (BCN-LIS) plus maiden T/A to the USA (October 2010) -- but have few concerns that I hope you might address:

1. Any idea why this T/A is EIGHT days from Lisbon to FLL (plus a 9th day at Half-Moon Cay)? Most others seem to be only 6 days.

2. I've read on these boards that the Eurodam has a crowded feel--so I'm concerned about how it will feel to be cooped up for soooo many days. We're looking forward to enjoying the R+R of a T/A, so crowds and chaos would be a deal-breaker. Any thoughts? (Also: We always thought if we did a T/A it would be on Cunard, with a variety of cultural activities, including Oxford lecturers and RSC players. Does a Eurodam T/A have anything comparable?)

3. Speaking of our preferred aft corners (and presuming the NA's stern will be the same as the Eurodam's, which we've not sailed), do you think the 5th deck aft corner SCs will have mostly covered large balconies and not TOO squeezed staterooms (I've read that it won't be as spacious as our Oosterdam 7th deck SC)?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Mary-Lou

("Dr. FUN")

:)

Always apreciate your expert advice here.

Thank you. You might get more, and better, responses if you post your questions in their own thread. But I'll give a shot at some of them here---

1. Any idea why this T/A is EIGHT days from Lisbon to FLL (plus a 9th day at Half-Moon Cay)? Most others seem to be only 6 days.

No idea, but I know that my crossing this November is seven days, plus HMC. Perhaps it's standard on this route? All I know is that I'll love it!

2. I've read on these boards that the Eurodam has a crowded feel--so I'm concerned about how it will feel to be cooped up for soooo many days. We're looking forward to enjoying the R+R of a T/A, so crowds and chaos would be a deal-breaker. Any thoughts?

My experience on the E-dam was that the Lido felt terribly crowded, especially at meal times. The tables were also close together, so it could even feel crowded when there weren't many people there. The dining room also felt packed in, like that. The Ocean Bar was very crowded before dinner.

However, there were also times and places that I could enjoy the solitude. The Crow's Nest, both by day (assuming no activity going on), and later in the evening, as it's not an entertainment venue. Certainly, sitting out on Lower Promenade was uncrowded. The Explorers Lounge was full when the group was playing, but I was always able to get a seat---frequently there was a choice of seats.

3. Speaking of our preferred aft corners (and presuming the NA's stern will be the same as the Eurodam's, which we've not sailed), do you think the 5th deck aft corner SCs will have mostly covered large balconies and not TOO squeezed staterooms (I've read that it won't be as spacious as our Oosterdam 7th deck SC)?

I can't remember if Brian's (bepsf) corner, aft cabin was deck 5 or deck 6. :confused: It certainly was mostly covered. And quite spacious! I liked it there!

Thanks for any and all advice!

You're welcome!

Edited by RuthC

Thanks, dear Ruth! This is soooo helpful--and I will also post Qs at the respective appropriate threads.

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

I have booked a cruise in the Caribbean on the Eurodam & decided to go with the Spa Statesroom way up on the Observation Deck next to the Exploration Lounge & right beside the Retreat. I thought it looked exclusive (only 10 cabins on that floor)& close to things. I am concerned about the "sway" up top & I do know that the balcony is just a step out. I enjoy having a window open at night. I figure with the Retreat next door I will sit out there.

Am I wrong? Has anyone any advise or stayed in a VT room?

I enjoy having a window open at night. I figure with the Retreat next door I will sit out there.

I presume by this you mean that you will go and sit in the Retreat area instead of leaving your balcony door open. :confused:

First, it's important to keep your balcony door closed, unless you are passing through it, because it cuts off the A/C in the other cabins on the same line. Those cabins can be on other decks, and even be inside cabins.

Second, it may not be a consideration at night because the retreat cabanas are not open for business, but the Retreat is only for those people who have booked a cabana. If you aren't booking a cabana that area may not be accessible to you.

great cruise in eurodam from copenhagen to new york.

attention, food courtesy

aug 10 to aug 17 2009

everything fabulous.

except one day my safe deposit box was opened ???????? An the door to

my cabin did not close as you leave the room. After complaining it was fixed.

i was concerned. I notced a few things out of place.

security take notice

Do I have the classes in correct order below and what is the meaning of the various classes; i.e., What does "S" class stand for, etc.,

I want to put this info on the Staterooms Main Page, so that CC'rs can see what type of ship is meant when someone mentions "S" Class, etc.

"S" CLASS SHIPS

Maasdam

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ryndam

Statendam

Veendam

"R" Class Ships:

Amsterdam

Rotterdam

Volendam

Zaandam

Amsterdam

"Vista" Class Ships:

Zuiderdam

OOSterdam

Westerdam

Zuiderdam

Thank you in advance

Joanie

Do I have the classes in correct order below and what is the meaning of the various classes; i.e., What does "S" class stand for, etc.,

Not quite, there's a few corrections to be made:

S-class. This stands for the first ship in the class (Statendam)

Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam

R-class stands for the first ship in that class (Rotterdam)

Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam

Vista class. These ships are named for the directions on a map.

Zuiderdam (south), Oosterdam (west), Westerdam (west), Noordam (north).

Signature class. Eurodam (and soon) Nieuw Amsterdam

Prinsendam---a class all it's own.

Thanks RuthC, will update tomorrow

Joanie

Joannie - if you check out the very first post of this Sticky, all your questions will be answered!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=6689792&postcount=1

I saw that MightyQuinn, but it was not easy to find, and was not in a way that, I as a newbie, could translate easily.

I also want to have it on the same main page of the Hal Staterooms Page so people do not have to go looking for the info.

My deep thanks to RuthC and Copper10-8 for the info. I am getting ready to add it to the page as soon as I hit Submit on this message!!!

Joanie

All the information on the ships was wonderful, but can anyone figure out which captain will be mastering which ship at any given time? The best cruise we ever had in terms of a captain with a personality and a genuine interest in all his passengers was on the Ryndam, Thanksgiving 2008. His name was Frans Consen. I'd love to know where he is now - and I'd like to know what his schedule is so I could book a cruise to sail again with this guy. He is " Mr. Personality".

All the information on the ships was wonderful, but can anyone figure out which captain will be mastering which ship at any given time? The best cruise we ever had in terms of a captain with a personality and a genuine interest in all his passengers was on the Ryndam, Thanksgiving 2008. His name was Frans Consen. I'd love to know where he is now - and I'd like to know what his schedule is so I could book a cruise to sail again with this guy. He is " Mr. Personality".

I'm sure Copper10-8 or someone will be able to give more exacting detail. I just did a google search for him and came up with 2 results 1. is at Richwmn's web site which just does his photo and bios http://www.wa70.com/hal/consen.html and the other is a review that was last done in Feb 08 and has him as the Captain of the Statendam.

Joanie

As you can see, I have been on three different HAL ships and all three ships were wonderful and we had a great time. I loved the HUGE cabins we had on the old Rotterdam. And I liked the public areas and dining facilites of the Maasdam and Volendam. Of the three ships, I liked the Maasdam best because there were fewer passengers competing for a similar number of deck chairs by the pool. It's going to be interesting to see how the Maasdam has held up these past 13 years since I was last on her.

How nice to find a thread who's visitors are all friendly and helpful.:rolleyes:

Whatever you do, don't bring up dress code or smoking.:eek:

We will be on the Oosterdam November 21st.:o

How nice to find a thread who's visitors are all friendly and helpful.:rolleyes:

Whatever you do, don't bring up dress code or smoking.:eek:

We will be on the Oosterdam November 21st.:o

LOL so you brought it up?? :D:D

You will love the Oosterdam!! She was our 1st DAM ship but will definitely not be our last one:D

Joanie

This sure is the place to get answers! I've been all over these boards recently because we are booked on a B2B on the Noordam starting 12/28. Somewhere on here, I think I remember reading something about balconies on higher decks looking down on to lower deck balconies on some of the HAL ships. Of course, now I can't find that thread again. Does anyone know if that is the case? If so, on what ships? We are looking at a TA in April on Westerdam. Thanks

This sure is the place to get answers! I've been all over these boards recently because we are booked on a B2B on the Noordam starting 12/28. Somewhere on here, I think I remember reading something about balconies on higher decks looking down on to lower deck balconies on some of the HAL ships. Of course, now I can't find that thread again. Does anyone know if that is the case? If so, on what ships? We are looking at a TA in April on Westerdam. Thanks

Hi ptcruiser

Not trying to promote the HAL Stateroom/Cabins web site here, BUT if you go to my main page you can see each of the HAL ships, with their back ends showing. With the back ends showing, you can get a general idea of which ships and/or their decks will have an over hang, which ships you'll be able to look down into the next deck down etc.... http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

Hope this helps?

Joanie

Hi ptcruiser

Not trying to promote the HAL Stateroom/Cabins web site here, BUT if you go to my main page you can see each of the HAL ships, with their back ends showing. With the back ends showing, you can get a general idea of which ships and/or their decks will have an over hang, which ships you'll be able to look down into the next deck down etc.... http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

Hope this helps?

Joanie

WOW!! This is fantastic!

Thanks so much, dear Joanie.

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

WOW!! This is fantastic!

Thanks so much, dear Joanie.

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

Very happy to help Mary-Lou:)

Joan Jett;) Good job on your stateroom site! First time I have been able to look at it in depth. Gotta get you some pics! Where are the Blackhearts?:cool:

Joan Jett;) Good job on your stateroom site! First time I have been able to look at it in depth. Gotta get you some pics! Where are the Blackhearts?:cool:

Thank you sir!

I am definitely looking forward to your photos!!! If you have a URL, I can go and grab photos from there???

The Black Hearts are with the Real Joan Jett, who is hubby's niece. I, on the other hand may not have her money, but do have a black heart:D Or so hubby tells me:D:D

Joanie

Thanks for the informative thread! I recently returned from first cruise in over 10 years. We cruised on RCL and it was nice, but I'm thinking we'll try either HAL or Celebrity next. All we really want is an old-fashioned ship with a nice, quiet promenade deck that will take us all the way around, LOL.

And extra thanks, Copper10-8, for the history of what happened to the Rotterdam V. I cruised to Alaska with her in 1988 and have been wondering where she ended up. I'll have to visit her next time I'm in Rotterdam.

Thanks Ruth. Very useful information. One of the officers was explaining this at our Meet and Greet on the 12/21 Statendam and, being so new to HAL, all I remembered was that some ships are named for the directions on a map. Now I have it all down pat thanks to your post!

Edited by JWJs